The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

what do you do with bad rolls
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> what do you do with bad rolls Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: what do you do with bad rolls Reply with quote

ok, i started a campaign tonite, basic outline of SERaE ed one, with mods. but the players were rolling 1 on the wild 4/5 rolls. what do you do with that? i know most of them had fun anyways, but still, how do you help them out when they are rolling that bad. and yes, 3/4 of the characters should have died.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're doing it that often, just treat the rolls as simple failures, instead of smacking them with Wild Die penalties. Maybe have them switch dice, or make the rolls for them yourself with your dice.
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming this is a tabletop game, I recommend ritually cleansing the aberrant wild die by way of the Sacred Hammer of Purity. Of course, this requires finding a new wild die, but it does prevent the problem from happening again... Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing.

Yes you heard right.. I would do nothing. Players (and even gms) go through days where the dice gods hate them and days where they love you... I would chalk this up to them having a bad die day, and run things as normal... Cause to me, if you "ignored" those dice, and did not make them suffer, then they would know you would have problems making them pay when they DID get into hot water later on..
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, if they are all rolling that badly than you must all just accept that this a group of unlucky sorry asses having a really bad day, so the adventure itself should reflect that. They will leave the adventure screwed, beaten, thrown in the mud, but some of them may live to fight another day, when their luck is better. It's good to be down in the dumps sometimes, it makes the rise to glory that much better.
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Assuming this is a tabletop game, I recommend ritually cleansing the aberrant wild die by way of the Sacred Hammer of Purity. Of course, this requires finding a new wild die, but it does prevent the problem from happening again...

Evin though Gry and garhkal are compleatly correct i still love this idea to go along Twisted Evil
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, im not taking about the superstisious rituals to get better rolls, how do you keep the players alive. they roll a 1 on their swim roll, so they start drowning. they roll a 1 on their sneak roll, they are seen by the turrets, they roll a 1 on resisting damage... would you kill a character, or keep em alive. cause what should have happened was one person should have died before they got in (i fudged that roll so they didnt die, just badly hurt) then the other person he was with got hit, and died. im also fudging the rolls for the turrets alot so that they can not get shot at as much. things just went from bad to worse for them. how much fudging is too much tho? in the end they coudl tell the hand of god was protecting them...

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you're asking us this question, then you are indeed fudging it a bit too much. If they are all rolling 1s all the time, then you can truly and honestly say that it's their fate to fail their mission, and perhaps get killed in the process. If they are so unlucky they really should fail, but not necessarily die. Maybe allow one or two of them to die, to show that screwing up in action is lethal, but maybe the others just get captured or left for dead, or something like that.
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still love the the "Sacred Hammer of Purity"...come on dice are cheap Laughing

And there is nothing more therapeutic after a bad dice roll killling your char. Twisted Evil
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, but what if this is the first session of these characters, you dont want to kill off most of the party :/

and yea, 3 got incapacitated (one was captured) and one got away unscratched. she was the only one who got lucky on her rolls Razz

Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work their unluckiness into the game. Get them out of the situation they are in (the one who got away comes back with reinforcements or something) and then have them realize that their characters are cursed (in-game) or have been tainted by some Sith artifact and make them go on a purification or luck retreving mission. They could have been cursed by a native force using witch when going through town and unknowingly upseting her animals or something and now they have to figure out how to undo the curse (doing a "favor" for her)

That is just an idea to tie it back into the game and make them think that maybe if they do this in-game mission they will start rolling better - could be fun!
Krayt
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant idea! I like the curse adventure hook alot, might have to use it in my game. 8)
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're rolling that many ones, run some GURPS. Laughing Their bad luck will switch around to rolling sixes again, and then you can go back to D6.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use the wild die when resisting damage. That'll help some.....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
lol, im not taking about the superstisious rituals to get better rolls, how do you keep the players alive. they roll a 1 on their swim roll, so they start drowning. they roll a 1 on their sneak roll, they are seen by the turrets, they roll a 1 on resisting damage... would you kill a character, or keep em alive. cause what should have happened was one person should have died before they got in (i fudged that roll so they didnt die, just badly hurt) then the other person he was with got hit, and died. im also fudging the rolls for the turrets alot so that they can not get shot at as much. things just went from bad to worse for them. how much fudging is too much tho? in the end they coudl tell the hand of god was protecting them...

If you have to ask, then YES you are fudging too much..

While i don't fidge, i too go easy for their first few adventures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: