The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Another New template.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Another New template. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Another New template. Reply with quote

Born from the thread up in game master, where we were on about what skills someone should have, when making their own template, i came up with this, just as a 'show how to', but after a little looking at it, i considered it for FUll template status..

So here goes.

Planetary SWAT team operative.

Dex - 3d+2: Blaster, Brawl Parry, Dodge, Grenade, Melee, Melee Parry and Running.

Know - 2d+1: Alien species, Bureaucracy, Cultures, Intimidation, Law enforcement, Languages and Tactics

Mech - 2d+1: Players choice of 2 of the 3 following – Ground Vehicle operations, Hover Vehicle operations or Repulsorlift Operations and Sensors.

Per - 3d+1: Command, Investigations, Persuasion, Search and Sneak.

Str - 3d+2: Brawl, Climb/Jump, Lifting and Stamina

Tech - 2d+2: Armor Repair, Blaster Repair, Repulsorlift Repair, and 1 of the 3 following – Demolitions (for disarming), Security (for breach man) and First aid (for field medic).

NOTE: Attributes are for Player Characters. NPC swat officials, drop +2 from all attributes.

Equipment: Level 2 Tactical suit (full body protection of +1d+2 physical and +1d energy, but gives –1d dex penalty), head-strap comlink, DB-8X blaster rifle (4d+2 damage, but due to laser pointer sight, gains +1d+1 to hit at short range, +2 at medium range, and no bonus at long), 3 spare blaster power packs, 2 smoke grenades, 2 ‘flash bang grenades’, stun baton, 3 uniforms, 2 sets of regular clothing, Identification card with police badge, and 5 person “generic” land speeder/hover vehicle/ground vehicle.

Credits: 1,500

Your family has had a history of working for the police in some aspect. Heck your brother just passed his Lawyer’s bar exam, and will be working at the District Attorneys office. When you first entered the Police academy, you were scrawny, but slowly you built up muscle and stamina and eventually passed (after 2 set backs) with flying colors. When the officials approached you about becoming a member of Sector 42’s Swat team, you jumped at the chance, after becoming enamored with their ‘aura’ from watching too many holovids as a kid.
Since joining the team, you have proven to be a reliable and dependable teammate.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So any thoughts?
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks cool. Maybe for a laid back civilian style game. Awesome concept garkhal

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good character to start out with for a new inductee into the Alliance's SpecOps; he's got the experience, and perhaps with the Empire moving in and taking over the administration of all law enforcement, the character becomes disenchanted with the way things have become. Or perhaps they pulled a planetary ground assault, killing the character's family, driving him to put his skills to use in the Rebellion...

Any number of great entry points there, Good job, garkhal!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...
Kalibarr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since i am on a 'resurrection spree', thought i would bring up a few older templates i have, to see what new comments i can get.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: I like it Reply with quote

and your resurrection! Aren't there more Star Wars-y terms to use than District Attorney and Lawyer?

A more general question: is there any sort of guideline, other than common sense, for how many skill choices to stick under each attribute? I know in making some d6 templates I've felt like I've included too many. Except for very specialized guys (say KNO skills for a scholar) I try to hold at 5 or so. Also because my character sheet in Campaign Cartographer only has about that many spots.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done, garhkal! 8)
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I like it Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:
and your resurrection! Aren't there more Star Wars-y terms to use than District Attorney and Lawyer?

I read in one SW novel where they were called "barristers." That is an Earthican term, but a bit less mundane-sounding.

On the subject of the template, I think it is great. It is thoughtfully created.

One critique would be that I think you were a bit generous with the 5-person speeder.
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen stats for a Litigation droid that could be used as a good basis for a beginner lawyer type template, could even give them a litigation droid in the beginning equipment.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: I like it Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:

A more general question: is there any sort of guideline, other than common sense, for how many skill choices to stick under each attribute? I know in making some d6 templates I've felt like I've included too many. Except for very specialized guys (say KNO skills for a scholar) I try to hold at 5 or so. Also because my character sheet in Campaign Cartographer only has about that many spots.

I try to make it 3-7 for each depending on how many there ARE in that attribute anyway.

Quote:
Nicely done, garhkal! Cool

Thanks.

Quote:
Ive seen stats for a Litigation droid that could be used as a good basis for a beginner lawyer type template, could even give them a litigation droid in the beginning equipment.

Most people i know IRL who are cops/swat have a wife and at least 2 kids... so a 5 pax vehicle is imo standard.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: I like it Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
I read in one SW novel where they were called "barristers." That is an Earthican term, but a bit less mundane-sounding.

I like the term they used in the old Judges' Guild supplement: "litigation trickster". Laughing

I have worked on a far-future setting and named the template for this kind of character "advocate"; a bit more generic and to me encompasses administrative/bureaucratic type work as well as people like "guild recruiter"/union organizer.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes me think i need to do UP a 'lawyer/litigant' type template.

So other than high per/know, what else would it look like.
I am thinking 3d+2 per/4d know, 2d dex 2d+1 str (paperwork carrying), 3d tech and mech?
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: see what you think Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That makes me think i need to do UP a 'lawyer/litigant' type template.

So other than high per/know, what else would it look like.
I am thinking 3d+2 per/4d know, 2d dex 2d+1 str (paperwork carrying), 3d tech and mech?

This is what I did for my dormant d6 space/Traveller/Wing Commander mashup (note attributes/skills not the same)...

Advocate/Agent

STR 2D: lifting, stamina
DEX 2D+1: brawling, dodge, melee combat, running
MECH 2D+2: communications, computers, piloting/starfighter [replaces sp transports], security, vehicle op/hovercraft
EDU 4D: bureaucracy, business, languages, legal, scholar/
PER 4D: cultures, forgery, hide, investigation, search/track, sneak, streetwise
CHA 3D: bargain, command, con, intimidation, persuasion, revelry, willpower.[/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: