The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

This is a stupid question so don't make fun of me...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> This is a stupid question so don't make fun of me... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalibarr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: This is a stupid question so don't make fun of me... Reply with quote

Ok - I was recently perusing the online run games on this site, and looked at some character sheets for the starting characters. This is a sample of one of them:

DEX 4d
Blaster 5d
(Sp) Blaster Rifle 6d
Dodge 5d
Grenade

Ok - so I can see two possibilities for what these mean. 1) Dexterity is 4d, and therefore so is everything that falls under DEX, and Blaster has been upped by one D, so you would roll 5d for Blaster OR 2) Dex is 4d, and Blaster is 5d, so you add those two together to get 9d everytime the character tries to shoot someone

My problem is that either way - I have a problem. If it's 1) - why list the Grenade skill (or any skill) that hasn't been uprgraded? Don't all skills, whether listed or not, that fall under DEX be 4d? Why bother to write it? And if it's 2) - what the heck kind of starting chracter rolls 9d in anything????????

Keep in mind I played this game like twice. Both times I got 18d for attributes, and an additional 7-9d in skills, which I would add to the attribute when I used it (i.e. Dex 4d, melee parry 2d = roll 6d when melee parrying). Do most people not list it that way? Is it better to write Dex 4d and under say melee parry 6d, and don't add them? What's going on here people!!!!
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's number one; Dex is 4D, all things not listed under that are 4D. Blaster is 5D, so you roll 5D when using a Blaster. Also, that (Sp) means that it's a specialization. Specializations can only be used when that specific scenario happens. If that character is firing a Blaster Rifle, he gets to roll 6D.

As for listing unupped skills, it's often a way to list skills the person should have, but couldn't increase. Essentially, skills that are par for the job they're doing. I don't list any unincreased skills, myself, but some people do.

The problem with listing skills the way you say lies in Advanced skills. If you look at my character sheet, you'll see (A)Starfighter Engineering 1D.

Advanced skills are skills that are so intense that they start from the beginning. However, they help in related skill rolls. For instance (A)Medicine helps with First Aid rolls, while (A)Starfighter Engineering helps with Starfighter Repair rolls and Starship Weapon Repair rolls when repairing starfighters.
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: This is a stupid question so don't make fun of me... Reply with quote

Kalibarr wrote:
OR 2) Dex is 4d, and Blaster is 5d, so you add those two together to get 9d everytime the character tries to shoot someone

hehe. don't feel bad. I actually had a problem with that when i very first started gaming. Smile

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kalibarr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - so listing Blaster 5d or whatever is just simpler because you don't have to do any addition (sounds good to me!).

As for the Advanced skills - so if I have First Aid 5d, and (A)Medecine 1d - does that mean that for Medecine rolls I get 1d, but for First Aid rolls I go up to 6d? Or only for certain First Aid rolls? Or does the (A) help out the more general skill in some other way?
Kalibarr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know something? This means it's going to cost me alot more character points than I thought to upgrade!!! I had 5d STRENGTH with a barabel character, and I think 1D brawl added onto it (or something). Writing it that way - it looks like I only need to put in one character point to train up to 1d+1. If I write it as 6d, that's 6 character points!!! I think I like my way better.....
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's right, Kalibarr. Medicine rolls get 1D, but First Aid rolls get 6D. In the case of FA/Med, it doesn't really matter. It mostly only really gets tricky with the Engineering skills, since they only have Starship Weapons Repair rather than Starfighter Weapon Repair / Space Transports Weapon Repair / Capital Ship Weapon Repair.

As for the skill listings, like it or not, it's how the game's run in the basic rules. If you have a GM that's willing to do it your way, though, more power to you. And if you want to GM it that way in another game, it's your game to make those calls in.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. If the character's strength is 5D, the default Brawl is 5D. To raise it up to 6D at character creation costs 1D. To increase it after character creation, it costs as many character points as the number before the D. So 5D to 5D+1 costs 5 CPs, 5D+1 to 5D+2 is 5 CPs, and from 5D+2 to 6D is 6 CPs.
Kalibarr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
To increase it after character creation, it costs as many character points as the number before the D.

That's the point I am making - if I wrote down DEX 4d and underneath it Melee Parry 2d at character creation - the "number before the D" is 2. So I need to make sure I write "Melee Parry 6d" so I am not cheating when I train later on. I didn't realize this till now (but I haven't upgraded any characters yet so no big deal).
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with the exception of advanced skills, typically it seems that if a skill is not a pip or better over the attribute's die code, then you roll the attribute's die code.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.

As to the why skills are listed even when they don't have any more pips/dice in them.. Well. You have 3 classifications of skills.
1) Untrained. These are the skills NOT LISTED. Defaults to base attribute and some might even have penalties assigned, like scholar and some other knowledge based ones.
2) Trained. These are tehe ones listed on your sheet. If no additional dice are placed in they also default to the base attribute, but at least you won't get hit with any unfamiliarity penalties.
3) Skilled. These are the ones you have actually placed points in...
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of the unfamiliarity penalties for unlisted skills. I always figured that if a skill wasn't assigned dice, it was treated the same as the attribute no matter if it was on the template or not. If this is official, could you direct me to where this rule is listed?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that last bit by garkhal is a house rule. As far as I remember there are no official rules assigning penalties for untrained skills, you just roll your base attribute. In my group the only reason we sometimes write down skills with no dice added to them is to record which skills we plan on raising when we get the chance.

And a little correction to masque's advancement example: advancing from 5D+2 to 6D costs 5 CPs, not 6. It's the number currently before the D, not after the advancement.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew it was one or the other, but I was at work without my book.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? So am I the only one who walks around with the rulebook under the arm all day long?! Wink
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soniv wrote:
I've never heard of the unfamiliarity penalties for unlisted skills. I always figured that if a skill wasn't assigned dice, it was treated the same as the attribute no matter if it was on the template or not. If this is official, could you direct me to where this rule is listed?

Gry is right. Using this house rule makes for a more realistic situation.

Take, for example, my Jedi character Roth. He and his comrades have just currently finished up a battle with some troopers who were accompanied by 3 Krath War Droids. The droids are wielding short swords and some kind of Pulse Wave weapon. Roth managed to slice one of them up, literally disarming the thing, causing the droid to lose its pulse wave weapon and the lower part of its arm. Roth picked up the droid's weapon and attempted to fire it, figuring it'd help him to take care of some of the further-off opponents. However, since he'd never SEEN one before this encounter, he was unable to figure out how to fire it. He'd not had the time to actually study the way the droids were holding them, much less using them; he was too busy deflecting energy bolts.

So, while it really SUCKS sometimes, it's great for realism. Plus, it can add for some hilarious game stories down the line...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: