The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

PC deaths
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> PC deaths Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalibarr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: PC deaths Reply with quote

Hi folks

As a noob GM and player of this game - I'm still trying to get a feel for the gameplay and what is considered "normal" and what is not, etc.

On that note - I was wondering (roughly speaking of course) about how often a PC dies in your games? I realize that the death is mostly depedent on how the player plays, but probably it is even more so on you as a GM (i.e. you can fudge anything you want). So, basically, how common/uncommon are PC deaths in your games?
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i give em chances. they do one thing stupid, i bring em to the brink of death

next time, they ded Razz

i might through in some warnings here and there to Razz

the galaxy is a dangerous place. people die. then the people controlling thoes people take controle of a new person, then they die Razz

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC deaths are pretty rare in my games. Usually PCs only die in these circumstances:

- I notice the player no longer cares for his character, he's not enjoying playing him anymore or loking forward to his development. Then I will make it easier for this PC to die under normal circumstances, I won't drop a bolt from the sky, but I won't fudge rolls to save his skin and will be more picky about his actions.

- The player does something unbelievably stupid. Attacking a whole garrison of troopers in your underwear or some such thing, should result in death, or close to it.

- The player rolls unbelievably poorly on a critical roll. Then I can't fudge my way around it. If he was trying a very daring maneuver with a starfighter and rolls all 1s, he's toast.

In normal situations I'll try to avoid killing a player, because it usually hampers the overall story arc.
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty much with Gry on this one...

I generally tell my players: I'll never kill you for bad dice rolls (if I can avoid it), but stupidity is another story.

of course, a lot of people complain that that's not really "good" gaming...
then I point out that you'd be surprised what a body can go through and live...

Take, for instance a game a friend just ran last week... one of our group approached an NPC to get some information... what he didn't realize was that the NPC had been brainwashed. The NPC pulls out a grenade, pulls the pin and drops it at their feet. The NPC went up in a puff of red smoke. The PC lived... minus his legs. Wink

The worse news for the player: his character (which he wanted to play) had a block against cybernetic ANYTHING. So... he's waiting for his cloned, vat grown legs before getting back in the action... Wink
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but you have to walk the line on mortality. i had 1 character try to sneak up on 1000 stromtroopers. basic trench warfare, shoot anyhting that moves on that side of the field. he wanted crawl directely towards them to do somethign to them. he died

had another characther (a droid) what to go into space and into hyperspace OUTSIDE the ship. yes, we were on the planet, he gets on the outside and says im ok, and they take off. needless to say he didnt make it to space.

both these players were shocked that i killed there characters :/

either i have had a habbit of not killing characters, or they were being stupid. ill let you be the call Razz

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
PC deaths are pretty rare in my games. Usually PCs only die in these circumstances:

- I notice the player no longer cares for his character, he's not enjoying playing him anymore or loking forward to his development. Then I will make it easier for this PC to die under normal circumstances, I won't drop a bolt from the sky, but I won't fudge rolls to save his skin and will be more picky about his actions.

- The player does something unbelievably stupid. Attacking a whole garrison of troopers in your underwear or some such thing, should result in death, or close to it.

- The player rolls unbelievably poorly on a critical roll. Then I can't fudge my way around it. If he was trying a very daring maneuver with a starfighter and rolls all 1s, he's toast.

In normal situations I'll try to avoid killing a player, because it usually hampers the overall story arc.

I am in agreement with Gry here as well. The difference is that I don't kill off PC's that players aren't enjoying anymore. I may offer them up for retirement to be used again later as a PC or NPC.

If a player isn't enjoying their character or trying to develop it, then I of course wont' pull any punches with that one. In general I really don't enjoy player character deaths. I do have one player though that dies about every 4 or 5 games. He just does a lot of crazy things trying to be a badass and it never works out for him.

He tried hand to hand combat with an assassin droid and as you can imagine he lost.
Cool McCool
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely had PCs die.

When the dice showed that they did, I always offered the "Let the Dark Side save you" and give them a DSP to survive, maimed. (Or they could spend a Force Point.)
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:

Ditto.
Krayt
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... My PCs die pretty regularly. Usually stupid things like jumping INTO a fan, or killing people and getting the death penalty, or rolling INTO missiles. Oh well... At least I have fun describing the deaths Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, basically, how common/uncommon are PC deaths in your games?

While i have the moniker of harshness, surprisingly, rare...

I have gmed for Sparks (gencon and origins conventioning) for a while now. At the first 2 cons i gmed i only did 4 slots worth, then one years of 5 slots. Since then, 8 slots worth. Origins, i didmy first of 5 years with only 5 slots, then 8 slots since then.. So that adds up to (9 gencons, 8 where i have gmed for them and 5 origins)9 cons at 8 slots = 72, 2 cons at 4 slots = 8, and 2 cons at 5 slots = 10 for 90 games i have ran. In that time i have had 15 deaths occur. Of those 15 deaths, only 5 now have been caused by the enemy firing.

Quote:
When the dice showed that they did, I always offered the "Let the Dark Side save you" and give them a DSP to survive, maimed.

While i am known to do that from time to time, i will also base it on the character. if i already know this person will nto take the DSPs, i won't bother offering. If i think they might take it, then i do offer.

Other than that, i am known for not fudging, using Deus ex machica etc.. If they get into combat, anyone can be killed. EVEN our heroes...
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since a PC died in one of our games. I never kill them off for poor rolling; it's more fun to make up a plausible situation in which their roll doesn't kill them, but leads to a severe complication (e.g. hyperdrive malfunction, loss of limb, mission fails, NPC contact killed, etc.).

Dumb ideas OTOH, will get players killed every time. I like to give warnings like "You have a really bad feeling about this" or maybe an NPC intervenes and asked what they're thinking. Having said that, I do reward gutsy play and will never let the dice stand in the way of a great idea. Smile
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Characters rarely died back when I ran games. On the other hand, I had no problem whatsoever maiming them for stupidity. One group used to joke that they had a good two or three droids between them in cybernetic body parts.
beaumont sebos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: PC deaths Reply with quote

Kalibarr wrote:
Hi folks

As a noob GM and player of this game - I'm still trying to get a feel for the gameplay and what is considered "normal" and what is not, etc.

On that note - I was wondering (roughly speaking of course) about how often a PC dies in your games? I realize that the death is mostly depedent on how the player plays, but probably it is even more so on you as a GM (i.e. you can fudge anything you want). So, basically, how common/uncommon are PC deaths in your games?

Very rare. I have only killed 3 PCs in the ten years I've been playing, and only one of them was unplanned. The player did not heed warning to play the game properly, so I killed him off. The other two deaths were planned ways for the PCs to exit the game.

"Saving the multiverse, one Gamorrean Ale at a time."
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I feel bad... I've been our groups most often GM for about 3 years and i must have killed off about... 15 or 20... Embarassed Mostly cause me and my group was in experimental phases and we liked to create about 5 and 6 characters at a time (most were NPCs till one PC died)

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Star Wars meets Paranoia! Laughing Laughing

Experimentation is good, especially if you're not sure what works for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: