The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Taming the Bulletproof Wookie...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Taming the Bulletproof Wookie... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No to mention being able to do more damage with punch that most folks do with a blaster or knife.

And the joys of a high lifting skill.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the down side, most of those 'larger' targets don't have a high willpower or perception score, so that big bad dark jedi does not have to fight you. HE can just control you (control mind) and have you fight your friends!
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
On the down side, most of those 'larger' targets don't have a high willpower or perception score, so that big bad dark jedi does not have to fight you. HE can just control you (control mind) and have you fight your friends!

Sush, your spoiling the surprise... Wink
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Sush, your spoiling the surprise... Wink

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Dasharr
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone. This is my first post here - I've been enjoying this thread, so I thought I'd chime in.

I've been thinking about this problem quite a bit myself. I've always been of the opinion that the real problem is that a 6d is so much better than 3d or even 4d, so something that narrows the gap a bit without hurting the lower-strength characters much is the way to go.

One idea that I came up with is a cap on damage resistance roll results for characters (not creatures or vehicles), maybe 15. This way, wookiees still benefit from their high strength (they'll usually hit the cap), but not as much as in the standard rules. A 4d blaster pistol is nothing to laugh at then, and a 5d blaster rifle is a true threat.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the cap would only apply to regular lethal damage resistance, not stun damage. It should be very hardto punch out a wookiee!
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
EDIT: I forgot to mention that the cap would only apply to regular lethal damage resistance, not stun damage. It should be very hardto punch out a wookiee!

And it should be easy to damage a wookie with a weapon? Isn't that a contradiction?
Dasharr
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Quote:

And it should be easy to damage a wookie with a weapon? Isn't that a contradiction?

I don't think so. I think that it's both "realistic" (even though Star Wars hasa loose approach to realism) that a 6d Strength wookiee - stronger than any human - is not likely to get punched out by a human; and I also think it's fair for game balance that a character like that is near-immume to a range of "soft" attacks like stun damage in return for the investment in Strength.

On the other hand, against blasters, blades, etc., it doesn't seem realistic to me that a humanoid should have a high likelihood of shrugging off the attack harmlessly. They might be big and tough, but they're still just flesh and blood and can be cut or blown apart. From the balance point of view, I've found that very high strength attributes are just too much of a benefit.

What I've been aiming for in a house rule is to narrow that gap between high and low strength PCs, without completely negating the advantage of higher strength or raising lethality across the board (because then, low strength characters will have the lifespan of Spinal Tap drummers). What I'm aiming for is a situation where it's hard to one-shot-kill a character with high resistance to damage, but not so hard to affect them at all as in the standard rules.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps then we can have a seperate 'damage avoidance' check which has a flat D associated with it. Higher or lower str adds to (or subtract from this stat) but unlike str, it cannot be bought up.

Say start it at 2d.
Str 1d to 1d+2 = -1 pip
Str 2d to 2d+2 = norm
Str 3d to 3d+2 = +1 pip
Str 4d to 4d+2 = +2 pips
Str 5d to 5d+2 = +1d
Str 6d to 6d+2 = +1d+1
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Perhaps then we can have a seperate 'damage avoidance' check which has a flat D associated with it. Higher or lower str adds to (or subtract from this stat) but unlike str, it cannot be bought up.

You might be reinventing the wheel.

What they do in the D6 Space/Adventure line is to get rid of STR for soak rolls againast lethal damage (unless you have armor). You could just set a default to the STR dice, in pips. For example a 6D STR wookiee would soka 6 points vs. blasters.

It will make the game a bit more deadly.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a house rule where soak vs physical damage = strength and soak verus energy damage = 1/2 strength.

A high strength still helps just not as much.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One suggestion i did see was have Str be a flat minus off the damage, and what is left is rolled against' the health chart. So a pistol (4d) shooting against a 2d+2 str pirate would do 1d+1 on the chart (averagng a wound). And regardless, a weapon/shot WILL do 1d of damage, unless str is DOUBLE the weapon's damage rating. So a 3d+2 hold out pistol would need someone with 6d+4 of resistance to ignore it completly.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still dont think that wookies need nerfing. Its like saying a Jedi need to be less efficiant in parrying blasters.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:
Im still dont think that wookies need nerfing. Its like saying a Jedi need to be less efficiant in parrying blasters.

Just wait and see... Twisted Evil
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lowered the maximum Wookie STR to 5D+2. Not a complete 'fix' but a move in the right direction.

Our teams maxed out wookie still has a very low Dodge skill, so just two Stormies hitting while combining for damage will do the trick.
Dasharr
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea I thought of a while back was similar to the optional rule mentioned earlier in the the thread allowing excess on the to-hit roll addimg to damage. I don't really like that one, partly because it makes the game even deadlier for low-strength characters (it's plenty deadly for them already in my opinion), but I liked the general idea of being able to hurt tough characters with accurate shooting. So my idea was to have attacks doing lethal damage do a certain damage level based on how much the attacker beat the difficulty OR the result of the resisted damage roll as normal, whichever is worse. Hitting by less than 5 would have no accuracy based damage and just work per the standard rules. Hitting by 5+ would be a stun or the result of the normal damage roll, whichever is worse. 10+ would be at least a wound, 15+ at least incapacitated, 20+ at least a mortal wound and 30+ automatic death.

This way, you could hurt an opponent either by hitting them in vital areas - which would be effective even with low-power weapons - or by hitting them with a big enough gun that any hit is going to be dangerous. Wookiees and other high-strength types would still be highly resistant to the latter, but not the former.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: