The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Taming the Bulletproof Wookie...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Taming the Bulletproof Wookie... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dasharr wrote:
Another idea I thought of a while back was similar to the optional rule mentioned earlier in the the thread allowing excess on the to-hit roll addimg to damage. I don't really like that one, partly because it makes the game even deadlier for low-strength characters (it's plenty deadly for them already in my opinion),

One of the optional rules in SpecForces was to allow character to traqde of skill dice for damage dice, before rolling the attack. I like this rule becuase while it does allow for increased lethailty, it doesn't hurt the PCs too often, especially the low STR ones, as few mooks are going to be willing to sacrfice the skill dice.

I think it handles Jango Fett's pistol shot against the Reek rather nicely.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That it does. In my home games i allow a 2d for 1d switch (2d off to hit, for 1d damage bonus).. makes it a little more lethal without going overboard.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That it does. In my home games i allow a 2d for 1d switch (2d off to hit, for 1d damage bonus).. makes it a little more lethal without going overboard.

Yeah. Not a bad house rule. The 1-1 leaves the door open for doing 9D damage with hold out blasters.

What I like about the trade off method is that it doesn't come in all the time, like the excess to hit variants, and keeps PC mortaility down, since the enevitable "six on the wild die streak" on the to hit rolls won't traslate into dead PCs. Personally, I suspect the "every poijnt over to difficulty is worth +1 damage" variant is a campaing breaker. Over the coruse on an adventure, one NPC goon is going to get a couple of sixes on the wild die and waste a PC.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a couple of D6 varients that say every 5 you beat the to hit roll by equals +1D to damage. It kinda negates needing to make called shots.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
I've seen a couple of D6 varients that say every 5 you beat the to hit roll by equals +1D to damage. It kinda negates needing to make called shots.

I have a similar rule, but +1 for each 5 over the target number. I will be switching that for +1D for each +10 I think.

Wookies aside, +1D damage is disastrous for anyone who is not a walking Tank.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:

I have also done (at times) a every 3 over the to hit needed adds 1 to damage. So if you hit with 19 more than you needed, you add 6 to what ever damage you roll
Hexx
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My game uses +1d per 5 points ovethe target number. But always remember this, Wookies are over two meters tall, and extremely tough.(well represented in the movies) A sporting blaster, unless well aimed, or on a lucky shot, is only likey to make a wookie angry.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One f the rules i saw elsewhere (cannot remember where though) suggested using a 'double max' limit. So even with the best to hit roll poss, you will never do more than double the weapons base damage... So that 3d+2 hold out will still only do 6d+4 at max.
ccatkins
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies if this has already been posted but Iahaven't got the will to read through eight pages of this post. Embarassed

Anyway, in my game I have introduced a rule that when someone rolls a natural six on any of thier attack dice then they get to add an extra dice damage, also if they roll a natural 1 this subtracts a dice from the damage. For me this accounts for lucky (or well aimed) shots and near misses or grazes etc.

So in this case someone with a high blaster skill has a good chance of rolling some natural 6s thus adding extra dice to the damage to take down those pesky wookiees.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That rule is already around. Called the Wild dice.
ccatkins
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is in addition to the wild die and it basically means that a good to hit roll with multiple 6s rolled adds dice to the damage and a bad to hit roll with multiple 1s subtracts dice from the damage.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccatkins wrote:
This is in addition to the wild die and it basically means that a good to hit roll with multiple 6s rolled adds dice to the damage and a bad to hit roll with multiple 1s subtracts dice from the damage.

The drawback with this system is that if your trying something very difficult (relative to your skill), you will probably get added damage for just succeeding.

Thats why I think its better to have added damage depend on how much over the Difficulty you roll...
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Esoomian wrote:

I have also done (at times) a every 3 over the to hit needed adds 1 to damage. So if you hit with 19 more than you needed, you add 6 to what ever damage you roll

D6 lengend used funkly dice that gave success/fail results, and you would just count up the total any apply any excessto the damage. It replaced the normal damae roll with the excess, and a float add for the weapon.

I7ve been thiniking of trying that with SW, along with the "zero STR" defense against lethal wepons.

What I don7t like about adding to the damage for a good to hit roll is that since there is a damage roll as well, things that are easy to hit become fragile. This causes big problems for ascaling.

For an extreme example, shooting at a Death Star with a hold out blaster. With a 24D bonus to hit, damage is going to be fantasic, and the Death Star is suddendly a lot more vulnerable that it should be.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case you don't allow the extra damage.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Esoomian wrote:

D6 lengend used funkly dice that gave success/fail results, and you would just count up the total any apply any excessto the damage. It replaced the normal damae roll with the excess, and a float add for the weapon.

I7ve been thiniking of trying that with SW, along with the "zero STR" defense against lethal wepons.

What I don7t like about adding to the damage for a good to hit roll is that since there is a damage roll as well, things that are easy to hit become fragile. This causes big problems for ascaling.

For an extreme example, shooting at a Death Star with a hold out blaster. With a 24D bonus to hit, damage is going to be fantasic, and the Death Star is suddendly a lot more vulnerable that it should be.

The extra damage also need to be scaled. I use a version of the old scaling rules (I roll D3 instead of 1-3 cap etc). So if you for example roll D3s you need double the amount over the difficulty to get a bonus. If you would roll D2:s, its triple the amount. Something similar can be done for each difference in scale with the 2nd ed revised rules.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: