The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Taming the Bulletproof Wookie...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Taming the Bulletproof Wookie... Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theMagius
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Taming the Bulletproof Wookie... Reply with quote

So, here's the thing. When I've run past SW D6 games, we've come across some logistical problems. The biggest problem, however, remains the Bulletproof Wookie.

Now, things were bad back in the 2nd Edition (Darth Vader cover) days, when the maximum allowable racial strength for a Wookie (or Barabel, etc.) was 5D. It used to be that a slew of Stormtroopers could blast freely at a 5D STR wookie with their 5D blaster rifles, and most of the shots would do no damage whatsoever. Now, with the 'Revised and Expanded' version, a Wookies' strength tops out at a whopping 6D!

Now, tactically, an Imperial Navy officer could used his Command skill to have the Stormtroopers concentrate their firepower on the big, furry guy, and that would've put an end to him in a hurry. But, to be honest, our Wookies tear through lines of Stormtroopers faster than most Navy officers can react.

So, I've decided that, for my newest SW D6 game, I'm going to fix the problem. And I'm here to ask you (knowledgeable) Rancor folks if you would please review my 'fix'.

Ironically, it was West End Games' current D6 implementation that gave me the solution. Someone else there must've realized that there was a problem when health stats equaled weapon damage stats. Anyways, I went to this PDF, and found that the new wound levels have changed a bit:

Code:

Damage Total ≥
Resistance Total By:      Effect
------------------------------------
          0               Bruised
        1–3               Stunned
        4–8               Wounded,
                      Severely Wounded
       9–12            Incapacitated
      13–15           Mortally Wounded
        16+                 Dead

Now, this 'Bruised' thing sounds really good. If I'm inferring correctly, it means that blaster, bullet, knife, bludgeon, etc. hits actually produce a wound level condition even if the character successfully resists damage.

My question (at long last) is: how many 'Bruised' hits does it take to produce a 'Stunned' condition? And, likewise, how does a 'Bruise' affect someone who is already 'Stunned' or 'Wounded'?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-theMagius
Darth_rockdawg
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure, but I ran into this same problem. I had a group that came up against some low level pirates, and were able to "soak" all damages that thier blaster pistols were doing. (This took place on a small ship.)
PC-032
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although intersting, this could lead to problems down the track with your "Normal" strength scale characters, patctualy whan their Armor gets shot up, my solusion would be to remember the Squad baced heavy weapon and have that guy target the Wookie, or wright adventures where when the Tactical Squad gets taken out in short order, the next responders are the Assualt Squad all Veterens (+1 dice on the Skill Codes) with Light Repeating Blasters
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC-032 wrote:
Although intersting, this could lead to problems down the track with your "Normal" strength scale characters, patctualy whan their Armor gets shot up, my solusion would be to remember the Squad baced heavy weapon and have that guy target the Wookie, or wright adventures where when the Tactical Squad gets taken out in short order, the next responders are the Assualt Squad all Veterens (+1 dice on the Skill Codes) with Light Repeating Blasters

Does anyone else faintly smell burnt Wookie hair?

PC-032 does have a valid point. Can things be taken care of with GMing rather than new rules? How has the play-test on these new rules gone with more normal characters?
beaumont sebos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm dealing with this myself. And add on top of that wookie rage and wookies are nearly unstoppable by conventional means.

But force skills and other mental attacks are good ways to stop a wookie.

And when in wookie rage, I always have the wookie try to do something that doesn't fall under strength, so he has to take the penalty. Especially running. I LOVE to make him run in wookie rage. Good for a few laughs.

"Saving the multiverse, one Gamorrean Ale at a time."
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now, tactically, an Imperial Navy officer could used his Command skill to have the Stormtroopers concentrate their firepower on the big, furry guy, and that would've put an end to him in a hurry. But, to be honest, our Wookies tear through lines of Stormtroopers faster than most Navy officers can react.

That is why you never put them at close range... have them form up 270 meters away, so the wookie cannot run away upon seeign them (going from a standstill, the most the wookie could get up to is 20 m/rnd or double speed)...

Quote:
Although intersting, this could lead to problems down the track with your "Normal" strength scale characters, patctualy whan their Armor gets shot up, my solusion would be to remember the Squad baced heavy weapon

Agreed. A standard 10 man squad of STs would be 7 reg troopers, 1 officer, 1 Light repeater carrier and 1 tech/medic..

Quote:
I'm dealing with this myself. And add on top of that wookie rage and wookies are nearly unstoppable by conventional means

Remember, wookie rage only adds 2d to their DAMAGE from strenght attacks, not 2d to strength period... So they still soak with their normal 5d, and since htey also suffer 2d off all dex related skills, dodge also falls under that..
theMagius
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
How has the play-test on these new rules gone with more normal characters?

I haven't play-tested any of this yet.

I'm just trying to gather opinions for now.

Regards,
-theMagius
theMagius
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That is why you never put them at close range... have them form up 270 meters away, so the wookie cannot run away upon seeign them (going from a standstill, the most the wookie could get up to is 20 m/rnd or double speed)...

So, is the solution to never have a close-quarters battle?

Quote:
Although intersting, this could lead to problems down the track with your "Normal" strength scale characters, patctualy whan their Armor gets shot up, my solusion would be to remember the Squad baced heavy weapon

I guess I'm wondering if this would have any effect on the 'normal' strength characters at all.

One can assume that, if Han Solo's blast vest took (say) 3 blaster hits, that he'd be bruised and/or stunned. Or does that seem unreasonable?

Quote:
Remember, wookie rage only adds 2d to their DAMAGE from strenght attacks, not 2d to strength period... So they still soak with their normal 5d, and since htey also suffer 2d off all dex related skills, dodge also falls under that..

True. But if Boba Fett is blasting Chewie with a 5D blaster rifle, and Chewie has 6D strength (and is somehow cemented to the ground to prevent running toward Boba), then it may very well be possible for Fett to get off 20-30 shots before anything ever damages Chewie.

Surely, the introduction of another (small) mechanic can be a 'fix' for this?

Respectfully,
-theMagius
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be noted that the blue 'Darth Vader Cover' version of the 2nd Edition rules gives Wookiees a strength range of 2D+2/6D. This is confirmed in Alien Encounters. Nothing changed in R&E on that front.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, is the solution to never have a close-quarters battle?

Unless you can get people with a good enough strenght, to punch beyond his range to attack, or get through his strength, then yes...

Remember, the baddies are not stupid. Wookies are well known for their prowese in hand to hand combat, so no enemy should willingly close in to brawl range..
theMagius
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayle Skolaris wrote:
It should be noted that the blue 'Darth Vader Cover' version of the 2nd Edition rules gives Wookiees a strength range of 2D+2/6D. This is confirmed in Alien Encounters. Nothing changed in R&E on that front.

Ack!

For some reason, I thought that the DV Cover book had the wookies capped at 5D.

You've piqued my curiosity. I'm gonna have to take a look through all of my books (to see where I got 5D from) when I get home, or it'll drive me crazy all day long.

Thanks for the correction,
-theMagius
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this out

Another possible solution is the use of modified high-powered stun weapons. Based on the official R&E stun rules (which many do not like) if you hit your target with a stun blast and roll anything larger than a stun result then the character is automatically unconsious for 2d6 minutes! There is a stun weapon in Gry's Weapons Stats called the Deck Sweeper that does 6d stun damage and I am sure it can be modified to do more stun damage since Dengar the Bounty Hunter had a modified stun weapon doing 8d stun. (oh, one way to compensate for the seemingly over powerful stun rules is to include the d20 star wars stun rule that stun only works within 5 meters, or something - that way people don't go around only using stun but tough Wookies who run in for the battle can get nabbed)

Throw a couple instances of getting knocked unconcious by stun weapons - and then waking up with Wuzzy Wookie shaved in their chest fur - and they may learn some humility Razz
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, as i kinda said with the hi level fights, you can have it so people target the wookie. one person yells their "command" and yells "KILL THE WOOKIE, KILL THE WOOKIE", and it would be a very easy task to do. as most smaller creatures are afraid of thoes who are bigger then them. so sure the wookie has higher strenght, but he also attracts blasterfire more often.

for every advantage there is a disadvantage.
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Riot Gun in the Star Wars Sourcebook that does 8D stun... Wink
Krayt
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used roit guns on wookies before. Although it didn't work so well. Our resident wookie got stunned into unconsciousness and was knocked prone... right off a clif into a spike pit. It just came to me that everyone in our group seems to die horribly and gruesomly Shocked . But yes, stun guns and riot guns work nicley against wookies, and so do thermal detonators... Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: