The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A good pirate ship
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> A good pirate ship Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Class 580 is a better ship than the Class 720 and I prefer the Mobquet Custom to the HT-2200.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Custom does have the advantage of being customizeable with a hull rating of 7D and shield rating of 2D. It's also got 1D in manuverability and a space rating of 4. Crew and passengers are the same as the HT-2200, though unlike the HT-2200 it does have a skeleton crew of 1. Hyperdrive is still a Class II. But it can only be purchased used at ten thousand credits higher than a a used HT-2200, 120,000 credits for a used Mobquet Custom. Also unmodified it starts out with 700 meteric tons of cargo space, that's one hundred meteric tons less than the HT-2200. Still it does leave plenty of room for modding replacements of already exsiting equipment and add-ons. And weaponry is two laser cannon turrets, so it's even with the HT-2200 as far as weapons go on the stock model. And both have the same range and damage rating for their weapons. However, I still the fact that the HT-2200 has the enviromentally controlled cargo bays that let you set up temperature and gravity for specific cargo types.

The Class 580 is faster at sublight than the Class 720 with a space rating of 4 versus 3. And it can carry 200 meteric tons versus 135 meteric tons. Hull and shield ratings are also better at 4D versus 3D+2 and 1D+2 versus 1D respectively. The Class 580 also has the advantage of having a turreted laser cannon instead of a stationary double laser cannon. There's no need for a dedicated gunner so you're just looking at a crew of 1. But the Class 720 carries ten passengers versus the Class 580's six, so the Class 720 has room for a larger pirate compliment. Also, again it can only be purchased used at 20,000 credits, three thousand less than a used Class 720. The hyperdrive is still a Class II. The is a question on whether the escape pod can be used as a shuttle craft on the Class 580.

And no Kayle, I'm not trying to say the ships you like are terrible picks, their good picks. All I'm trying to do is point out the good points and bad points of each of the starfighter scale ships you and I have mentioned.

Wanted Poster
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I understand. It's a simple straight-up comparison. And you're right, your picks have advantages over my picks. I would point out, however, that I am under the impression that the 'escape pods as shuttles' notion is a creation of Frank V. Bonura (a friend of mine) and has no basic in the game rules.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, ask him if the Class 700 escape pod is a standard feature on the Class 580 as well as the Class 720. I don't care if it's official or not, the idea of an escape pod/shuttle is perfect for pirates who can't yet get a cap ship. I mean the very idea of leaving your ship free to manuver and fight if an help should show up while your "longboats" carry boarders to and from the ship their attack is beautiful. If he says yes, then the only advantage the Class 720 has over the Class 580 is it's greater passenger capacity.

Wanted Poster
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ask him, but if memory serves he and I had decided that the G580 has older, smaller lifeboats that can still function as shuttles, but simply carry fewer people. This was due to the smaller crew capacity of the G580. The intent was to make lifeboats, as opposed to simple escape pods, a standard feature and major selling point of all Ghtroc products. I'll ask him about retrofitting the G580 to carry G700 Lifeboats. I'm pretty sure it's possible, it'll just eat into your cargo tonnage a bit.
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank delivered the following response to the situation:

Quote:
The reason I called the escape pods the "700 Series" on the Class-720 light freighters was quite deliberate. If and when I do the Class-580 I plan to use "500 series" escape pods. The 500s will be fairly different from the 700 series mostly in passenger capacity. Expect them to hold 4 individuals each and to have the same reusability as the 700s.

To solve your problem I suggest the following:

1. Replace the 500 series launchers with 700 series launch tubes and 700 series escape pods.
2. Install additional 700 series launch tubes and 700 series escape pods.
3. Keep 700 series pods in your cargo hold and have them enter and exit via the loading lift.
4. Use REC Defender starfighters (capacity 2).
4. Use the Novoil/Ghtroc Baroness-class medium freighter which is 100% 700 series compatible.

Thoughts?
Questions?

Frank V. Bonura

STAR WARS
Deckplans alliance
Deckplans.00sf.com
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I prefer number four on that list to replacing the 500 series escape pod launch tubes with 700 series. As you pointed out, it would eat up the tonnage, which is something that's going to be happening with replacing exsisting systems with better/faster versions and adding more weapons. If it comes down to it, I'd rather eat up tonnage through sublight engines, weapons, ect. than through adding escape pods/shuttles because as great as the idea of built in shuttles for boarding is, being able to put up a better fight, run, and manuver is more important. It's actually better if the escapepod/shuttle is a feature on the stock version because you're then only eating up the stock tonnage for other things.

Thanks for getting that from him, by the way.

Wanted Poster
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of the entire Cargo Noble line, myself. While not official, they're logical extrapolations of the massive size differential between the G720 and the Cargo Empress. I've taken to calling the G720 the Cargo Lady, since 'Knightess' seems a bit verbally clumsy.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, a female knight is refered to as a dame, which would fit the female naming convention, but wouldn't end with the ess. But you're right about the noble line. And if they can be afforded they would be great for conversions to pirate activity. If able to afford it, the Baroness-class is like a cross between the Class 720 and the Class 580, making it good for modding. I'll get on the good and bad points later, though.

Wanted Poster
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I promised I'd take care of good and bad points on the Baroness a little later in my last post. Well, it's later.

Ok, so the Baroness-class is, as I suggested, a bit of a cross between the Class 580 and Class 720. Taking after the Class 580, it has a space rating of 4, and a shield rating of 1D+2. Taking after the Class 720, it has a crew of 1 with one gunner, a forward firing double laser can, the ability to carry upward of ten passengers, and a hull rating of 3D+2. Like both, the Baroness-class has 1D in manuverability. Those are pretty much where the cross between the two ends. As for cargo, the Baroness-class goes fifty meteric tons over the Class 580 with 250 meteric tons, giving you a little more room to play in modding when it comes to replacement of exsisting equipment and adding on. Which one will certainly want to look at adding weapons, especially turreted weapons, and probably upgrading the sublight drive. The hyperdrive, however, is a bit more impressive here with a Class 1.25. However, all the other ships I've given the points on have had some kind of a backup hyperdrive, one of the areas the Baroness-class is lacking in. Price tag is 195,000 for a restored ship (?) and 56,000 for a used ship. Also, as already pointed out the Baroness-class carries the Class 700 escape pod/shuttle, giving you a pair of systems for boarding while leaving your ship free to deal with any trouble.

Wanted Poster
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used one of these in several different games,

Gallofree Yards YKL-37R Nova Courier.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pirate in my group uses a YZ-775.

She has a crew of 8, which allowed me to create a colorful group of NPCs.

At 54 meters long, she is incredibly well-armed and armored.
She boasts a double turbolaser battery on its nose, two proton torpedo tubes, and two double laser turrets (our ship is modified so that one of the turrets is ion cannons).

She has a hull of 7D and 6D shields.

She is basically a pseudo-capital ship.

I obviously made sure that the captain is in serious debt to a ruthless pirate lord before I gave her this ship.

Let me just post the stats!

The Vagrant Albatross
Craft: Modified YZ-775 Transport
Affiliation: General
Era: Rebellion
Source: Gamer Magazine Issue 2
Type: Light freighter
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 52 meters
Skill: Space transports: YZ-775
Crew: 8
Crew Skill: Varies
Passengers: 14
Cargo Capacity: 400 metric tons
Consumables: 6 months
Cost: 500,000 (new), 350,000 (used)
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1
Hyperdrive BackUp: x12
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 1D
Space: 6
Atmosphere: 330; 950 kmh
Hull: 7D
Shields: 6D
Sensors:
Passive: 10/0D
Scan: 25/1D
Search: 40/2D
Focus: 2/3D

Weapons:
2 Turbolaser Cannons (fire-linked)
Fire Arc: Front/right/left
Scale: Capital
Skill: Capital ship gunnery
Fire Control: 3D
Space Range: 1-5/15/20
Atmosphere Range: 100-500/1.5/2 km
Damage: 4D+1

Twin Ion Cannon (Starboard turret)
Fire Arc: Turret (Front/right/rear/up/down)
Skill: Starship gunnery
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5 km
Damage: 5D

Twin Laser Cannon (Port turret)
Fire Arc: Turret (Front/left/rear/up/down)
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5 km
Damage: 5D

2 Proton Torpedo Launchers (fire separately, 12 torpedoes
each)
Fire Arc: Front
Fire Control: 1D
Space Range: 1/3/7
Atmosphere Range: 50-100/300/700
Damage: 9D
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.. that can go toe to toe with several squadrons with that level of hull and shields...
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Wow.. that can go toe to toe with several squadrons with that level of hull and shields...

And that is why I chose it. I want big space battles!
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
garhkal wrote:

And that is why I chose it. I want big space battles!
500,000 seems awful cheap for that kind of combat durability...

Complete Starship Construction System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: