The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dark Side Characters and Force Points
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Dark Side Characters and Force Points
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Dark Side Characters and Force Points Reply with quote

How is it that evil characters would earn Force Points?
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're generally not supposed to play evil characters, hence the lack of a mechanic for it. If you were to run a campaign of that sort, you'd have to rework that whole rewards system. The dark side as described in the WEG books doesn't really lend itself to groups of players well, since if they're truly acting evil as described, the group will disintegrate due to infighting (I'm talking of specifically Dark Side games, not Imperial, which I do think is doable). It could be done, but would take a significant amount of alteration to how things are set up.
Dask Rowan
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Grand Theft Auto style game once. We pretty much just threw out DSPs and gave out FPs to people who used them for something 'cool'.
#500. Rock on.
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really mean for an evil campaign. I would like to know how the "bad" guys get their force points. Do they have to perform an evil act at a dramatic moment or something to that effect, or does the DS just give them force points?" It's hard to figure out, because not all the villians are actually seduced by the DS.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I've looked it up, and have found a reference. According to the section "Dark Side Characters" in the R&E 2nd Edition book (page 152):

A Dark Side character only receives Force Points when spending Force Points while committing evil at the dramatically appropriate time. The Force point is returned at the end of the adventure at which point the character gets another, as well.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to what masque just said, the following paragraph on page 152 reveals that if a dark side character spends a Force Point at any other time, whether they are committing evil or not, then that Force Point is lost because the dark side requires a lot more of the character.

Now if you go a little further down the page and you find that a dark side character gains a Force Point when they call upon the dark side. However, their chances of succesfully calling upon the dark side become more difficult each time they use it. The first time is an Easy roll, unless not using the dark side in order to inflict pain which thus increases the difficulty by two levels. The next time the character tries to call upon the dark side you increase the difficulty by one level. And I'd assume that you again would increase the difficulty by two levels if not inflicting pain.

Wanted Poster
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any character can ALWAYS call upon the Dark Side. You get a FP to spend immediately and an additional DSP. The difficulty rises with each attempt, but is reset at the beginning of a new adventure. I've lent out my rulebook to a player, but I think the difficulty is Easy for force-sensitives and Moderate for non-force-sensitives. It rises one category for each attempt.

Luke Skywalker calls upon the Dark Side to defeat Darth Vader on the second Death Star.

>-q=p---
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight and help. I ended up reading that in the @nd edition book last night.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's true that anyone can call upon the Dark Side, it might not answer the door. Morning nap, afternoon tea, and evening bath are considered especially bad times to reach the Dark Side. Other random scheduling conflicts are not unheard of, so always have a backup plan. Laughing
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget second breakfast and elevensies. 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: