The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Gun to the head...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Gun to the head... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Gun to the head... Reply with quote

Over on the Holonet we are discussing what would happen if a PC or NPC got the drop on an enemy and managed to put a gun to the enemies head... EG would it be an Insta hit, direct to wound (for d20 terms), normal to hit but with bonuses???

For D6, what would you say for this situation?
Would it be different if it was a PC who had the gun to their head??
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rule no dodge without some kind of character or Force point expenditure. Something suitably cinematic would have to happen to get away, I'd probably give the dodger bonuses for more creative solutions. The shooter would be at a +16 or higher to hit for an overwhelming advantage (per 2E R&E GM Screen). Seeing as how to hit would already be a very easy task with 1-5 difficulty, it's definitely an automatic hit if the trigger gets pulled. I might double the damage, too, for the (lack of) range.

The shootee can basically try to make a Very Difficult Fast-Talk roll, or hope that his buddies can back him up. Sounds like prime material for a Mexican stand-off.

No difference for PCs or NPCs, as far as I'm concerned.
subedarmajor
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi this is my dirst post on these boards, they make interesting reading.

Anyway back on topic; I think that in D20 terms you would probably use the "coup de gras" rule.
In D6 I'm not sure, but you could probably impose something similar. How about; damage dice maximum, strength roll to resist as normal (with no dodge of course!) Armour ineffective with only a few exceptions (no I'm not giving examples!)
And the effects are the same for PCs and NPCs.

Cheers, Subedarmajor.
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I might double the damage, too, for the (lack of) range.

Quote:
damage dice maximum

I like those ideas! Usually I just ruled over the dice, when the damage seemed inappropriate, like in the gun to the head example, but this seems to be more fun.

>-q=p---
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D6 rules are designed to manage dynamic situations. Like in several situation (whatever the game) GM has to improvise, not only to follow rules. The most important is that players think it's believable.
This is case, if dodging is not allowed (tied character), rolling hit then damage dice has no sense. I would say automatic death. PC can spend a Force point to only be mortaly wounded.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't figure a tied up character into my "no dodge" declaration, just the fact that there's no time to move before the trigger can be pulled. I figured spending a Force point would give someone the necessary quickness, which is why I required it or a character point (although I should have said several) to pull off a Dodge in that situation.

I agree with no need to roll to hit, and I ran the numbers on it in my previous post to show why. After thinking about it, though, I think it might be useful to roll, just on the off chance that the Wild Die pops up a 1 and causes the gun to jam, break, or malfunction in some way. I would roll the damage, doubled or not, regardless, just to show the players that if the character is dead, it's fair. I don't see much of a chance of someone surviving except on an extremely low roll, but things like that have happened in real life, so I figure chance can decide it.
Darth_rockdawg
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we have done in other games, is for head shots double the damage, because it is all going to the head. Even a 22 to the head will probably kill you, where a 22 to the body would not be so lethal.
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually handle called shots with reduced strength (-3D head, -2D hand, -1D knee) and drastically raised difficulty. -3D means 0D to most characters, but the marksman must be able to aim for one round.

NFUs spending a force point always result in some sort of "weird coicidence" event in my games. The beam, the characters are tied to, breaks because of some material failure or the rival gang/pirate crew/bounty hunter decides to raid their enemies' HQ just in time to arrive before the shot, causing a shoot out, in which a ricochet hits the bonds...yadayadajabba...

>-q=p---
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd roll it out as well just to see what happened. The parties involved could and probably should spend some CPs or FPs, then everyone can roll to determine results. I'd probably give a nice bonus to the shooter for having such a great advantage.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned: use of Jedi powers. A nice TK shove to the gun arm would really open things up and would come as a complete surprise to the shooter. Seriously overpowered Jedi could just Absorb / Dissipate and then calmly take the astonished gunman's weapon away. That would be cool. 8)
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, a Jedi that would let someone get that close would probably be toying with the shooter.
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seriously overpowered Jedi could just Absorb / Dissipate and then calmly take the astonished gunman's weapon away.

Ooooh, the kind that parries lightsabers with bare hands, huh? Very Happy

>-q=p---
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
I'd roll it out as well just to see what happened. The parties involved could and probably should spend some CPs or FPs, then everyone can roll to determine results. I'd probably give a nice bonus to the shooter for having such a great advantage.

Would you give any bonuses to initiave/to hit, for the one with the gun??
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Would you give any bonuses to initiave/to hit, for the one with the gun??

Isn't that what "I'd probably give a nice bonus to the shooter for having such a great advantage," means?
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um....Yeah! That's the ticket! Laughing Very Happy Laughing
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a similar situation in Cyberpunk 2020. One character on his knees, the "bad guy" standing over him, gun less that a foot from his head. The character basically tried to jump and hit the bad guy. (not exactly bright, but in line w/ the character).

The way we've handled similar situations is this: FULL MAXIMUM damage due to point blank range, DOUBLED because it's a head shot. So... ya, the character didn't survive.

So... unless the character can use the force (Affect Mind, Telekinesis) or something to that effect, I'd pretty much count that character dead.

Granted, I'll tell ya that I'll never kill a character for a bad dice roll, but stupidity (such as getting into that situation to begin with)... THAT is another story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: