The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Galaxies and d20-d6 parallel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Star Wars Galaxies and d20-d6 parallel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Star Wars Galaxies and d20-d6 parallel Reply with quote

Sorry if i post here: this should be more suited to a general chat area (a "lounge"?).

I just browsed a bit on the Star wars galaxies forum and then on some related fan forums.
What emerges is that when it started SWG was quite similar to the d6 phylosopy of character developement: no levels, but character points to spend to upgrade different skills.
After NTE (correct?) Sony chenged the whole structure of gameplay to a more related to the d20 system (levels and so on): the choiche (among other "upgrades") did not amuse most players. It seems that SWG was abandoned by 70-80% of veteran players at that point.

Any comment on this?
As of my opinion, i see a big vengeance of history theme: Lucasfilm thrashed WEG to prize WotC, they thrashed a dedicated company with a wonderful game system to get a few customers on the new product...
...it seems that Sony did the same with SWG and got the same (if not worse) customer dis-satisfaction response...

...btw: these days i got n. 13 and 14 of the SWAJ (issued in 1997), and they completely left me dissatissfied: i almost felt the decaying momentum of WEG, regarding SW production. A lot of products in stand by, fewer requests and questions from players, Lucasfilm strongly limiting theyr creativity freedom by forbidding any incursion into pre-classic episodes era and by limiting the recruiting of previously unpublished authors...
...irc, WEG material was formerly used by lucasfilm as source for recruited authors (Zahn, Tyers etc.)...
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucasfilm didn't "thrash" WEG to "prize" WotC. West End Games filed Chapter 11 in '97/'98 and had to give up the liscence, which forced Lucasfilm to look for a new company to produce the RPG if they wanted to continue it. Unfortunately the new company decided folks wanted to go with a system that didn't work nearly as well as the one that already exsisted. If WEG had not gone bankrupt then they'd most like still have the liscence to this day and still be producing great material.

Wanted Poster
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true. I can't lay any blame for this on Lucasarts. WEG precipitated the entire event by going belly-up. All responsible parties should be fed to the Immortal Sarlacc where they will be slowly digested over 1000 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: