The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cannon size.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Cannon size. Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always lots of armor to deal with on the outside, as well, even at short ranges. Luke could have just mounted his grenade on the outside of the AT-AT in ESB, but he knew it'd do more damage if it exploded inside.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I see your point.

I'd have the player roll demolition to attempt such an action.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbolasers are generaly found on capital ship. Smaller version exist in starfighter scale but can only be mounted on big transports or light corvettes.
One of the possible explanation of why sometime laser canons have more dice code than turbolaser is just because several laser barrels are linked together to obtain more punch. If I remember clearly, the quad laser canons of the milenium falcon are 6D damage rating. As its named describe it, there are 4 linked laser canons linked together. Generaly turbolasers have only one or two barrels. Damages can be lower than laser canons, but range of fire is greater.
With effective weapons, it's always better to have a greater fire range than your ennemy. When a Rentili customs corvette chase you, you can find very frustrating to not be able to shoot back because the corvette is out of range of your guns...

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd have the player roll demolition to attempt such an action.

Exactly! That's the part I forgot! The tried and true demolitions roll.

I'm suddenly reminded of the movie "Force 10 From Navarone" in which the characters use two tiny bags of explosives to blast apart a large dam. Definitely a great roll there. Laughing
Aardon24689
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see a really good example of this in HBO's Mini Series Band of Brothers. In the first or seconds episode Easy Company has a mission to blow up some artillery. The guy with the TNT falls behind so they take German grenades and toss them down the barrel. It does a great job destroying the barrel and I would imagine a lot of the other internal guts. The Mini Series is based on historical accounts and I imagine on screen is pretty much exactly how it really happened. At the end of that episode it even makes a note about the tactics used in that scene and how they are still taught today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: