The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Coynite Melee weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Coynite Melee weapons Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Critias
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna hop out on a limb here and say that "bravez," who dragged a seven year old thread out of the dirt in order to say pretty much nothing, is actually a spambot. He hit upon the word "weapon," and posted a nonsensical sentence or two, complete with a link in his signature to a website that sells cheap weapon-shaped crap.

I'm not THAT big a believer in coincidences. Wink
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrawprin wrote:
That's always what I assumed too. The weapon could only deliver so much damage before it had (or the risk of) stress damage done to it.

A ruling i have been usiing for around 14 years is that a pc (or npc) can willingly exceed his melee weapons listed Max damage at the risk of damage to the weapon itself.
If the damage rolled exceeds the Max damage factor for the weapon (6d would be 35) then the excess is applied as damage against it's body (standard is 2d).

EG max the torgorian blade dancer has a vibro rapier which has 7d max damage. He hits that max even without using the full Str+3d of the weapon, and if spends a force point, he is 2d shy of double that max amt. if he is willing to break the weapon, he can ignore the 7d limit, but any damage delt that is over 41pts of damage goes against the weapon.
in one battle he realises he is barely touching the cybered up barbell he is fighting, so decides to force point it and ignores the max limit.

His first melee attack is parried (so no issues here), but his second hits, and the damage is a whapping 58 points of damage. that is 17 over the max factor, so it is applied against the swords 2d body (which rolls a 4) giving him a severly damaged sword (drops 2d from its damage and 1d from max the gm says). His next attack (now at only 10d+4 rather than the 12d+4 he was at, still hits 49 for the damage which is still 14 more than it can take. BUT the body roll bombs out with a pair of 1s and so the sword now breaks.....

Quote:
martial arts seems a lot more promising than any melee weapon right now

One of the critterrs i had in one module of mine cause electrical damage to anyone touching their skin (4d+2 stun) so brawlers were sucking.
Another 2 had rock like skin so all physical damage was actually REFLECTED on the attacker...
I could have also sworn there was some other creature that sapped strength from those who touch it (some wraith like force spirit that took a cp every time some one hit it or it hit them)... So Brawl is not always more effective than melee.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really understood why Coynite weapons and armor were so good, especially the armor is totally OTT. The Empire would enslave the entire planet just to get their hands on that technology. Given the cheap cost(150 Cr), why doesnt every stormtrooper have a +2D protection vs both physical and energy. Coynite armor is a designers pipe-dream IMO.. Laughing

Even in the same book (Gundarks) we have the (mechanically) very similar (except double Dex penalty and a -2D Per penalty that the Coynite doesnt have Rolling Eyes ) Dura Armor for 8000 Credits Shocked Laughing .

Edit: Scrap weapons, the only issue I have is with the armor.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the coyonite armor was missing a 0 on the end of it's cost. As for the dex. I have always seen gms apply -1d+2 to those NOT made for the armor.. so anyone NOT a coyonite who got it crafted for them will always have the penalty.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Coynite PC felt the armor was too good. The PC actually wears a lighter suit of Coynite armor that provides +1D physical, +0 energy, -0 DEX.

Besides he couldn't wear really bulky armor and still fit in his X-wing cockpit. Laughing

Given the 13D stat base and high Dex max for Coynites a subtraction on Dex would seem in order. Maybe -1D for Coynites and the -1D+2 for non-Coynites as suggested by Gharkal. If the armor is better or is thought to have cultural attributes, Coynites may not be happy to encounter non-Coynites in Coynite armor. Given their dueling/honor culture that could make life interesting for PCs wearing Coynite armor. Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. i have had many coyonites in game see a pc wearing one, and challenging them to the death for having the gall to wear them. Only 2 pcs get away with it, due to being heroes of the coyonite nation.. or something like that.
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From PLanete of the galaxy Vol III, where Coynites first appeared, the armor is list at 3000 credits.

I believe the 150 credits, in gundark, is the result of bad copy/pasting publishing, as it is the price of the Coynite Dagger.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Yup. i have had many coyonites in game see a pc wearing one, and challenging them to the death for having the gall to wear them. Only 2 pcs get away with it, due to being heroes of the coyonite nation.. or something like that.

Problem is that Coynites arent really that common, and most of my PCs would just blast them away instead of messing around with duelling..

'Hey whiskers, dont bring a knife to a gunfight'...phiew phiew phiew.. Laughing
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could try... coyonites are not just hand to hand people, and their armor would help protect them..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD
[
Quote:
b]garhkal wrote: [/b]
Quote:

Problem is that Coynites arent really that common, and most of my PCs would just blast them away instead of messing around with duelling..

'Hey whiskers, dont bring a knife to a gunfight'...phiew phiew phiew..

Rarity could be an issue, but
(1) they are mercenaries so they get around and
(2) the armor is unique in materials, design, and appearance.

For us, we campaign in and around Elrood Sector (location of planet Coyn) so we see a fair number of Coynites.

Regarding the "phiew phiew phiew" part:
(1) Our PC Coynite has 5D strength, put him in +2D physical and energy protection and you better be packing some serious heat from a goodly distance.
(2) Also, unless you are pre-emptively shooting every Coynite on sight he will already have closed to within melee range prior to challenging.
(3) Depending on if he is a "nice" Coynite, he may not challenge in basic so unless you speak Coynite, you may not know you have been challenged until he is drawing and swinging.
(4) Coynites carry blasters too. Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(3) Depending on if he is a "nice" Coynite, he may not challenge in basic so unless you speak Coynite, you may not know you have been challenged until he is drawing and swinging.

I see them waiting till the 'target' has acknowledged the challenge, for it to be considered an honerable challenge.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:
They could try... coyonites are not just hand to hand people, and their armor would help protect them..

That's what I meant by nice. Wink

As we play it, a Coynite with a very punctilious sense of honor would certainly do that. At a minimum he would want to know the name of the being he was about to kill.

But some Coynites might want to argue that the wearing of armor by someone who is not entitiled to wear it is a challenge by the armor wearer. This couldl remove the necessity of getting an acknowlegement since the presumption was the armor wearer was challenging every Coynite he encounters and had already consented to combat. Twisted Evil

Certainly if word got out that the armor wearer was dishonorably shooting Coynites without even allowing a challenge to be made tactics would change. Very Happy
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, they are mercenaries and 'move about' but they are not one of the 'common' species and more or less live on one world in the whole galaxy. Seems to me that you wont be seeing them very often exept as a GM fiat. Anyways, given the very powerful armour I think some corporation or the Empire would have copied it and reproduced it, Coynite honour duels or not.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coynite honour and culture would make them criminals on most planets in the known galaxy pretty quick Razz They're not particularly common off of Coyn, and as far as I can tell, almost never seen outside the Elrood sector.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:

I see them waiting till the 'target' has acknowledged the challenge, for it to be considered an honerable challenge.

To not respond to a challenge is to be branded af'harl, cowardly deceiver. So I'd have to agree that they'd wait for the target to acknowledge the challenge before they attack, give them time to respond to the challenge least they themselves be branded such.

But at the same time would waiting for the target of the challenge to respond be considered as showing mercy in combat? Technically has the combat even begun the moment the challenge is issued?

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: