The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Clone trooper to Stormtrooper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Clone trooper to Stormtrooper Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, not a moron. Not your fault if you haven't gotten around to reading certain books.

(AC Crispin's Han Solo trilogy has the info in detail.)
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firehawk0220 wrote:
It also seems to me that the Clone Troopers were better trained and had better equipment and when the transition was made, the Empire decided to get cheap, and favored quantity over quality. The Storm Troopers, especially the actual human ones are far less deadly.

It would practically have to be that way. A great many stormtroopers were actually forcibly conscripted, rather than recruited. Those individuals would probably actually take longer to train, since they'd be getting brainwashed against their will, rather than with their blessing.

Clones, on the other hand, are force-fed this training as they're being developed, as well as during their formative years. They're born, bred, and taught to be soldiers, period. Anything else is just a lite. Wink
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Firehawk0220 wrote:
It also seems to me that the Clone Troopers were better trained and had better equipment and when the transition was made, the Empire decided to get cheap, and favored quantity over quality. The Storm Troopers, especially the actual human ones are far less deadly.

It would practically have to be that way. A great many stormtroopers were actually forcibly conscripted, rather than recruited. Those individuals would probably actually take longer to train, since they'd be getting brainwashed against their will, rather than with their blessing.

Clones, on the other hand, are force-fed this training as they're being developed, as well as during their formative years. They're born, bred, and taught to be soldiers, period. Anything else is just a lite. Wink

Right. I suspect that the Empire went with quantity over quality and started to use human troops instead of clones for that reason as I mentioned earlier. Though the Heir to the Empire series of novels by Timothy Zahn states that the reason why the clones were abandoned was because they were unstable and went nuts. Thrawn used Ysalamiri to fix the problem by dampening the force during their development.

Though Episode II and III kind of put a hole in that story line.
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
Nah, not a moron. Not your fault if you haven't gotten around to reading certain books.

(AC Crispin's Han Solo trilogy has the info in detail.)

Nah. Still a moron. I actually have read those books. Just forgot. Hehehe Laughing

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firehawk0220 wrote:
Right. I suspect that the Empire went with quantity over quality and started to use human troops instead of clones for that reason as I mentioned earlier. Though the Heir to the Empire series of novels by Timothy Zahn states that the reason why the clones were abandoned was because they were unstable and went nuts. Thrawn used Ysalamiri to fix the problem by dampening the force during their development.

Though Episode II and III kind of put a hole in that story line.

Pretty much.

My own theory goes along the lines of Palpatine having outlawed the technology (so another clone army couldn't be commissioned and dethrone him, of course), and since no one else had it down like the Kaminoans did, all attempts at cloning resulted in the subjects being highly unstable and subject to the "Clone Madness."

It's just a theory, but it works. Wink
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I subscribe to that same theory.

Maybe not all Spaarti cylinders are equal. Maybe that's how one has to clone if there aren't any Kaminoans around. Maybe Palpy kept the good stuff to himself and left the discount cloning equipment where it could be found. Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, what is the difference between the Kaminoians cloning tanks, and the Sparrti cloning tanks?
Taliesin_Bardwolf
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Star Wars Unofficial Encyclopedia:

"Spaarti Cylinders
originally designed early in the Clone Wars by Spaarti Creations on the planet Cartao, these specially-designed canisters provided a more modern method for the Old Republic to generate clone troopers for the Army of the Republic. During the battle for control of the planet Cartao, most of these cylinders were destroyed. Then Chancellor Palpatine, however, saved a number of them in his warehouse hidden within Mount Tantiss, on the planet Wayland. These cylinders were lost for decades until Grand Admiral Thrawn rediscovered them. He used them to clone troopers to augment his own forces, including the captured Dreadnaughts of the Katana Fleet, during the early years of the New Republic. The only known drawback to the use of Spaarti Cylinders was that they tended to create clones that went insane farily rapidly, as a result of their accelerated growth cycle. "

So I assume that they were substitutes for kaminoan cilinders. But I don't really know if kaminoan technology was destroyed, or when, so I'm a bit cofunsed
Taliesin_Bardwolf
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ĦOh! and thanks a lot for "washout" explanations.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on that and further information found in the Databank (I adore Wookieepedia) it looks like the Kaminoans had their own technology. I'd say it was superior since no mention of the clone insanity occurs.

The article goes on to say that the stormtrooper cloning apparently continued until the New Republic shut down the operation. If that's the case, then I wonder if Palpatine started conscripting stormtroopers so he wouldn't have all his eggs in one basket, so to speak.
oeverloos
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently saw an article that said that the stormtrooper program was prefered over the clone program for beaurocratic reasons, that the stormtrooper program was more cost effectif.

This can be true given the fact that stormtrooper training is a lot shorter than cloning and training them...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Plus, it gave Palpatine something to do with the able-bodied young men his forces arrested when they were out raking in all those political dissidents, something more than simply sending them to Kessel, or to a garrison anywhere in the galaxy where all they'd be doing was requiring bedding and food. Might as well get as much use out of 'em as we can... Rolling Eyes
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I think the Spaarti clones that Thrawn grew were accelerated much faster than the Kamino ones. The Kamino clones were accelerated in their growth, but it still took years to grow them to maturity, whereas Thrawns clones grew from birth to adult in months. If I remember that all correctly. As I understand it, the only reason the clones were grown in the first place was for the purpose of raising an army in SECRET, instead of recruiting all over the place.

As far as raising an army goes, I truly believe that conscripting and training humans is MUCH more cost effective than cloning. Plus there are trillions of possible human candidates out ther already, fully grown. Even if it takes two years to train a stormtrooper (which in my experience is a bit too long... US Navy SEALS don't spend that much time in training...) it's still better than cloning. Easier, safer, cheaper...

As for the mortaility of stormtrooper training, I have to say that I think the idea that "most don't survive" is probably not true. Most who would not survive are probably weeded out long before the actual training begins, and instead are sent to Imperial Army or Navy trooper training, as are the washouts (why waste all that indoctrination?) Most of the recruits probably do survive the training, weather they become stormtroopers or Army troopers or Navy troopers. But I'd say there aren't any who totally wash out and live to go home again. Those washouts probably become the subject of "loyalty tests" for the others or suffer "training accidents". It just doesn't make sence to take a recruit that would make a crappy stormtrooper and let him die when you already got him in the system. Shunt him over to the Navy and make him a guard, or make him a AT-ST pilot, or work in the armory of a star destroyer, or even as a janitor. Once he's in the system and indoctrinated, it would be a waste of effort to let him die when you could use him to fill one of the billions of lesser roles that need filling.

That's what I think the Empire does.
Darth_rockdawg
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info.

Agree that I do not think they would "get rid of a bad stromy". I think they would ship him to another group.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose washouts from Stormtrooper training could be sent over to CompForce. Those guys are just nuts. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: