The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Clone trooper to Stormtrooper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Clone trooper to Stormtrooper Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth_rockdawg
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Clone trooper to Stormtrooper Reply with quote

At what point is there the switch?

I am looking at running a game about 10 years after Episode 3 and am not sure which to use.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that time, I'd say definitely use Stormtroopers. My impression is that most of the clones were either in elite units or retired by that point.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always under the impression the switch was 1 or 2 years after the creation of the empire but come to think of it, I have no hard data on that. The Wookieepedia says "During the early years of the Empire, most stormtroopers were clones from the Clone Wars. However, by the mid to late parts of the Empire, most stormtroopers were recruited Humans." so 10 years after the creation of the empire only very few cloned Stormies would be around. Remember, they used accelerated aging so most clones still alive would probably be training all the new recruits rather then seeing active combat duty.

So yes, statistic-wise I'd use Stormtroopers, just like Pel.
Taliesin_Bardwolf
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with Pel and Akari: I would use stormtrooper. As it is actually unknown when it was the switch, I have decided that 2 years after Palpatine became Emperor the first non clone stormtrooper complete their training, so 10 years after there must be a major part of them.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note, anyone know what the training time for the stormies is?
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no direct data on that, but based on indirect references from the Han Solo and Jedi Academy Trilogies, I would estimate the training takes place over at least one or two years.

One does not turn from a mild-mannered galactic citizen into a faceless Imperial zealot overnight. That level of indoctrination requires time. Most do not survive the training, but those who do are radically different from their former selves, I would imagine.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think they do with the washouts?
Taliesin_Bardwolf
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my English language knowledge, but...¿what is a "washout"?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Washout is someone that isn't quite capable of making the requirements for the job.

Example: Stormtrooper-In-Training Bob is in Basic Training for Stormtroopers. Unfortunetly, he isn't able to learn to shoot accurately enough at the targeting range, and is kicked out of training, and becomes a "Washout".
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who do not complete their training die.

Most are killed during the training itself, similar to those casualties suffered during COMPNOR exercises.
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly true. Han Solo dropped out, did he not?

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Han was an officer and a pilot who was expelled for saving Chewbacca's life. Officer training, while still lethal, is several orders of magnitude behind the lethality of Stormtrooper training. The officers are not expected to be fanatical shock troops, trusted with the Emperor's life in some cases, so their training is not as intense.
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akari wrote:
I was always under the impression the switch was 1 or 2 years after the creation of the empire but come to think of it, I have no hard data on that. The Wookieepedia says "During the early years of the Empire, most stormtroopers were clones from the Clone Wars. However, by the mid to late parts of the Empire, most stormtroopers were recruited Humans." so 10 years after the creation of the empire only very few cloned Stormies would be around. Remember, they used accelerated aging so most clones still alive would probably be training all the new recruits rather then seeing active combat duty.

So yes, statistic-wise I'd use Stormtroopers, just like Pel.

I agree.

In the book Republic Commando: Hard Contact, the clones were described as aging at twice the normal human growth rate. They continued to do so after maturity. Meaning that they would only live 40 or 50 years max. Also, that most of the clones would likely die in battle before hand.

The game Star Wars Battlefront II also shows the transition form Clone Trooper to Strom Trooper. (Somewhat anyway.)

It would seem to me that about 5 to 10 years after ROTS, the transition was made. Though many of the Storm Troopers are likely still clones. It also seems to me that the Clone Troopers were better trained and had better equipment and when the transition was made, the Empire decided to get cheap, and favored quantity over quality. The Storm Troopers, especially the actual human ones are far less deadly.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not exactly true. Han Solo dropped out, did he not?

Han was in the Navy, and left under the circumstances Pel mentioned. There are 3 branches of the military, the Navy, the Army, and the Stormtroopers. All three have their own training regimens.
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh. My bad. Ignore me then... I'm a moron... *shifty eyes* *backs away slowly*

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: