The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

¿Imperial Army or Stormtroopers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> ¿Imperial Army or Stormtroopers? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Army is shakey. Stormies are shoot 'til your dead.

Army is send in hundreds (If not thousands) of guys until the other side runs away in terror or dies.

Navy is orbital bombardment. "Oh, we need subtle? Send in the Tie Bombers and blow up only certain bulidings."
Darth_Kjeran
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chello!

And don't forget the Stormies' MFTAS bonus for moving targets!

Twisted Evil

Tony
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth_Kjeran wrote:
Chello!

And don't forget the Stormies' MFTAS bonus for moving targets!

Twisted Evil

Tony

Too many gms i see DO forget that.
Darth_Kjeran
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chello again!

Never! I am such an Imp groupie!!! lol

Tony
Darius
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres a q+a section at the back of the gm handbook second edition that explains that the stats for the stormies are low because the heroes in the movies got to blow em away left n right, so the game designers wanted player characters to be able to do the same thing.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a similar section about how to make Stormtroopers more lethal. MFTAS, smoke grenades, combined fire, and artillery or orbital support are only a few of the options available. Smile
Krayt
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way of making stormies more lethal is their tactical abilities. Stormies are used as front line shock troops, while army are guards and support. Stormtrooper platoons are usually tansported by fast, well armed, and armored dropships. Once at the target, they can fast-rope or jump onto the LZ.

Army, on the otherhand, have strength in numbers and... numbers. There are hundereds of army for every stormie. I use them as fron-line cannon fodder when stormies wouldn't fit into the situation. Army arrive in APCs or on foot, spread out, and charge!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but part of that thinking might not be simply wanting to let the PCs have their way.

Because, if the stormies have it and use it, and they get killed by the PCs who then take their armor and don it, then the PCs have it as well. The GM might simply not want to give them that kind of advantage in a game, so rather than say, "Well, no, your character CAN'T in fact figure out how to use all that cool gadgetry stuffed inside that helmet," he might just be circumventing the issue by refraining from bringing it in the game.

Or, like most will think, the GM's just making it WAY too easy on the PCs... Razz
Krayt
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, kill the stormcommandos, grab the armor, repeaters, and blaster cannons. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Although, my players rarley remember to grab stuff from dead enemies. They can drop the best guns and gear, and the PCs totally forget about it! Therefor, I have no proble with sending the best weapons at them, without un-balancing the game!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is then the most unique group I've ever seen.

ANY time I'm in a game, I'm ALWAYS scrounging for gear- even if it's stock gear I can take to have modified for my personal use, or to use in trade for modded gear...
Krayt
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they leave every bit of gear, jump INTO fans, and piss off wookies. They dont really think about things like that.
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, in general, once a trooper is killed by conventional means, by D6 rules, the armor is destroyed.

Now, one could make a set of armor by using called shots, unless it was power armor or similar. For instance, one man gets shot in the head, another in the chest. Between the two, you have one workable set of armor.

However, since power armor uses the entire suit as one working entity, that's a bit more difficult to piece together than say, Stormtrooper armor.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, even by conventional means, say a stormtrooper is killed by a blast to the chest. In a battle, unless you're calling shots and MAKING every called shot, you're not going to have all the shots hitting in the same place. I'm used to my characters having to scrounge a battlefield, taking pieces from two or three different troopers to make a full set that can be used.

The rest sometimes might be salvageable in the sense that the damaged pieces could be taken to an armorer who could maybe recycle the material to make a completely new item.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Yeah, but part of that thinking might not be simply wanting to let the PCs have their way.

Because, if the stormies have it and use it, and they get killed by the PCs who then take their armor and don it, then the PCs have it as well. The GM might simply not want to give them that kind of advantage in a game, so rather than say, "Well, no, your character CAN'T in fact figure out how to use all that cool gadgetry stuffed inside that helmet," he might just be circumventing the issue by refraining from bringing it in the game.

Or, like most will think, the GM's just making it WAY too easy on the PCs... Razz

Well sonny boy, it seems the helmet has a DNA scanner tied into the trooper you just killed. Without the matching DNA, it is an inert helmet, the comlink and MFAS does nothing. Oh and you have to get a master code, from the bases armory most likely, to reset it...

Quote:
Although, my players rarley remember to grab stuff from dead enemies. They can drop the best guns and gear, and the PCs totally forget about it! Therefor, I have no proble with sending the best weapons at them, without un-balancing the game!

What?? That is one strange group.. Most of those i game with love pilliging the STs after laying waste to them... well pilliging what remains..
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="garhkal"]Well sonny boy, it seems the helmet has a DNA scanner tied into the trooper you just killed. Without the matching DNA, it is an inert helmet, the comlink and MFAS does nothing. Oh and you have to get a master code, from the bases armory most likely, to reset it...quote]

Yeah, that's one way of handling it... but doubtful that'll be the case on many of the worlds the Empire inhabits.

Besides, it's the work of a second with a vibroblade to get that DNA you need... Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: