The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

żImperial Army or Stormtroopers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> żImperial Army or Stormtroopers? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taliesin_Bardwolf
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: żImperial Army or Stormtroopers? Reply with quote

Talking a few days ago with one of my players, he was strange by the soldiers of the Imperial Army they had fighted in that session, and made me thinking about it.

żDo you use that soldiers, or use stormtrooper as the only ground forces of the Empire (vehicles crew appart)?

And something tied to this theme... żdo you use snowtrooper as stormtrooper or as Army soldiers? In Imperial Sourcebook, you can find them in both ways, so I think there must be an errata. Personally, I always have seen them as another elite division of stormtroopers, so I used them that way.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use both... While our players can usually handle the army troops fairly well, they are quite uncomfortable going up against stormtroopers. Stormtroopers are independent from army or naval troopers and are outside of their command structure.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormtroopers are Shock Troopers and Enforcers of Imperial Might. They're the ones that take positions, and keep the peace in areas where a strong presence is needed.

Army Troopers are like Regular Army, they hold positions, take them when Stormies aren't available (With much higher casualties), and basically ensure that enemy forces don't attack an "Unguarded" position.

Stormtroopers are the fancy ones that get all the attention. Army Troopers are actually quite larger in number, and do quite a bit of the fighting. We just don't see them in the movies, because we never see the "Rear Area" battles.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormtroopers are to the US Marines as the Imperial Army is to the US Army. For terms of military purposes, anyway, I refrain from any kind of political overtones.
Taliesin_Bardwolf
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ĦHahahahaa! I believe I didn't explained me very well Razz I know the differences between army troopers and stormtroopers, I just wanted to know if you use both of them or just stormtroopers (I have seen many people who doesn't like army troopers), but your answers had made it very clear Razz
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We like to mix the forces also. It's quite common to see groups of Army or Navy troopers milling about with Stormtrooper units around also. Players do tend to fear the Stormtroopers more. Might be the armor, or it might have something to do with that pesky unlimited combined fire bonus the Stormies get. That can really ruin your day.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question. Why are the Imperial Stormtrooper stats worse then the stats for the Imperial Army Troopers?

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Taliesin_Bardwolf
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orgaloth, thatĦs a question I have ask me many times. So I just changed both of them stats. I think if stormtroopers are elite soldier, they must be better than Army troopers, at least in basic combat stats, as blaster, brawl, etc.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one seems to know the answer to that one... perhaps it has something to do with the easier way that stormies can be combined, versys the army troopers. More stormies combined, more to hit/damage overall.
Taliesin_Bardwolf
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe is that you say Garkhal, but een so I find difficult to understand their stats if stormtroopers are elite troopers. ĦĦĦElite means elite!!! :p
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it depends on the type of situation they are getting into. Most of the more heavy engagements are done with Stormtroopers instead ot the regular army. But I do mix them up from time to time. Though this latest game is mostly space combat. The bulk of my players are all part of an X-Wing squadron.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming it's a typeo that no one at editing picked up on and that the stats for the army trooper are meant to be for the Stormtrooper.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which book are the stormtroopers and army troopers stats list in this unusual way (stormies having lower stat)?

And I am aware of the combined action bonus but someone in the thread mentioned that stormies get "unlimited combined action bonus" - how does that work?
Taliesin_Bardwolf
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they appears in the rulebook (pag 209 in the Edition Expanded and Revised).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: