The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Firefly Class transport
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Firefly Class transport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
Unless that solar system has somewhere on the order of 40 planets, and a good chunk of those have been terraformed, and it's somewhere on the order of 20 times larger than our own solar system yet still managed to have enough solar radiation from it's SINGLE sun to provide light and heat to all of the planets....including the planets WAAAAY out there (like on the far side of the Reaver's territory).

According to Joss Whedon, that is PRECISELY what the Serenity setting is like, and since he created it, it doesn't matter whether you buy it or not. Hell, it wasn't clear in the series (which you should check out, it rocks), but they established it firmly within the Serenity movie. To quote from the opening of the flick:

Earth-That-Was...
could no longer sustain our numbers, we were so many. We found a new solar system: Dozens of planets and hundreds of moons. Each one terraformed, a process taking decades...
to support human life. To be new Earths. The central planets formed the Alliance. Ruled by an interplanetary parliament...
the Alliance was a beacon of civilization. The savage outer planets were not so enlightened...
and refused Alliance control.
The war was devastating.
But the Alliance's victory over the Independents...
ensured a safer universe.
And now, everyone can enjoy the comfort...
and enlightenment of true civilization.

I agree that it's problematic, but that's what he decided it was going to be. I do agree that the ship should have FTL for use in Star Wars, but it wouldn't have it in its own Universe, as nothing has FTL there as described.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! I remember now. I had forgotten the wording of that intro...good call. But look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Firefly_planets_and_moons

I guess they started with just the one system and then filled up the rest of the star cluster (or at least terraformed its planets and moons).

You could conceivably include the entire Firefly 'verse in a Star Wars game; maybe they never discovered hyperdrive technology because hyperdrives can't function inside or around that star cluster (someone smarter than me would have to figure out a reason why). Then just locate the star cluster out in Wild Space or the Unknown Regions, and say it was populated by colonists thousands of years ago (soon after hyperdrives were invented) who had been the victims of a navigation error on a catastrophic scale...their hyperdrives destroyed by the anomaly, the ships had to put down on Earth-that-was and make a new life for themselves.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would certainly be an interesting approach to take. I haven't looked at the actual Serenity RPG yet, but if I was to play in the 'Verse, I would definitely be inclined to use D6.

We just finished up a ~2 year Star Wars campaign, though, and we're a bit sci-fied out. Our next game will likely be fantasy, using HARP. I have ideas for several other games we might try, In Nomine is also a candidate, but I've been kicking around this all-dwarf campaign idea for a while, so that's where we're going next.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:

According to Joss Whedon, that is PRECISELY what the Serenity setting is like, and since he created it, it doesn't matter whether you buy it or not. Hell, it wasn't clear in the series (which you should check out, it rocks), but they established it firmly within the Serenity movie. To quote from the opening of the flick:

Yeah, according to Whedon, with all evidence to the contrary, as provided by Mathias777.

Let's just say, *I* will never use the idea, no matter if Whedon created it or not, that the Serenity/Firefly setting is all in one system. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use anything from the Special Editions or the prequels in my Star Wars games either, but that doesn't mean Lucas was wrong to do what he did. I don't like it, but he's ultimately the decider.

Frankly, I find the "one system" aspect of Serenity a little odd, but not out of the realm of possibility. It makes sense with the rest of the backstory, where they used generational ships to get to that system, which implies no FTL drive. I think a system with that many planets is a bit more likely than FTL drive, from a physics perspective, and that's how he decided to go. In that, at least, Firefly/Serenity is more hard sf than space opera.
kenposan
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion has taken place over at Waves in the Black. Check it out, these people are to Serenity what you are to Star Wars.
Lor-Pbk
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone actually have a link to an internal schemematic of the Serenity?

I know they actually built the entire ship as a set piece for the show/movie so I would assume there is documentation of it somewhere but I cant seem to find it on the web...

Anyone have a link?
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post some Firefly schematics when I get a chance to scan my deckplans.

<--HUGE Browncoat. Custom tailored coat (all leather) full costume including custom weapons, rigs, custom boots from Guatamala (guy down there does amazing fan work boots, and technically they are Kyle Katarn boots, but they fit the verse perfectly being so close to Mal's movie boots. Papers for my ship Heracles The whole schebang. Captain Caille Jensen at your service.

Shiny to see this old thread brought up. I reckon it might do me a bit o good to have you guys take a go at a couple 'Verse things I might want converted.

Vera Anyone?

Callahan Fullbore Autolock, able to change shells mid clip to entirely different calibers. A damn fine slug thrower. I think I will stat her up tonight.

Alexis
^_^
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And without further ado.

To scale Firefly plans, specifically Serenity as well as overall ship layouts sort of detailing how everything sits in Serenity or another Firefly.

I did not compile these, The PDF files are from Vancouver's Serenity Meetup Group and the to scale Deckplans were designed by a member of Fireflyfans

Alexis
*smiles*

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GIJTCDMN
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SY75MHJ6
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OLLG6509
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W67047OU

And the to scale ones in an image here on the forums as well.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Glee*

I have to find a way to work these into my current game... It's not a game that these sort of things can actually fit into so I'm going to have to use a very bigh hammer to make it fit.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, shiny!

I can provide a wealth of 'verse information. Also am a member at Waves, but to be honest I do not like the system used for Serenity. It has its charms, but not like D6. If I run a Firefly 'Verse game again it'll be with D6.

Oh and as to the question of Full Burn vs HD. Go ahead and give a Firefly a HD, but I would say stock is a x8 and backup a x16. This makes them older tech. Makes full burn slower than the average Spacer's Hyper, and makes their travel times a bit hefty. Of course upgrades can be had. But I feel a slower HD multiplier will better simulate "Full burn".

Also full burn may need its own drive stated up, realize full burn CAN be inititated in atmo, causes a blowback if used so, but IS viable. Hyperspace is not. Also I would make certain a firefly has good Maneuverability, the engines on a firefly can rotate a full 180 degrees, and a stunt like a Crazy Ivan is not done in a less than maneuverable ship. Even on earth, that submarine maneuver requires the controls to be "unlocked" increasing the maneuverability but requiring more skill to handle.

Also Whedon has changed his tune on the Solar System at least once. Looking at maps, they have distinct sectors that have their own suns. That being the case I think it should be considered a Sector, with the Suns close together. Joss at first called it a couple star systems (Firefly) then changed it to one (Serenity), and I take the movie with a grain of salt. Changes to Reaver history, Galactic History, Character Personas, and the Galactic map makes one wonder. Even the map Wash brings up in Serenity the movie shows several stars in the system. So unless its like a Trinary system with the Suns far from one another.......

Alexis
*smiles*
Darth Dahpluth
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking in at the "map" in the Serenity Role Playing Game it seems like the 'Verse is 5 solar systems.

It also features a techno-babble table in case something breaks.. Rolling Eyes
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, the technobable is useful in a Space Opera!
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Dahpluth wrote:
Looking in at the "map" in the Serenity Role Playing Game it seems like the 'Verse is 5 solar systems.

It also features a techno-babble table in case something breaks.. Rolling Eyes

Either they screwed up, or Whedon changed his mind.
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said he has changed his mind on it numerous times. I was a Trinary single system, then a single system, the multiples. Call it what you will but even the map showed in the episodes had multiple solar systems.

Alexis
*smiles and goes back to fiberglassing her custom mando*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: