The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Melee Combat Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Melee Combat Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Melee Combat Rules Reply with quote

The rules always seem a bit fuzzy to me. In melee combat between two people you have opposing roles. So do does one guy just roll his melee and if it is higher the than the other guys roll for melee parry then he hits him? What roll does the difficulty rating of the weapon have? Say you have to average joes with 3d on melee and melee parry. If they were thrown into a gladiators ring and one had a club with a very easy difficulty rating and the other had fencing foil or something with a moderate difficulty rating how does that work in to the combat? The guy with the club rolls an 8 (passes the very easy rating) and the guy with the foil rolls a 9 (higher than the 8 but lower than the difficulty rating of the weapon). Do you subtract the difficulty rating of the weapon from the roll giving the club guy a 3 and the foil guy a -6, so the club guy wins OR does the foil guy win because 9 is higher than 8. I am just trying to figure out if difficutly ratings play into opposed rolls or just unopposed rolls.

I remember a similar arguement between players over blaster rules, with one guy using a blaster rifle (at his close range) and someone using a hold out blaster at its med or long range and fighting over what to do with the differing difficulties in the ranges and how to work that into the rolls.

I would very much like the any clarifications actual rules or even ways you've decided to make it work. Thanks
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difficulty subtracts from the rolls when using the weapon.

Example: Crunch is using a Force Pike against a Thug that has a Vibrodagger. The difficulty for the Force Pike is Moderate (11), and the Vibrodagger is Easy (6).

Crunch, as usual, wins initiative. He thrusts forwards with his favorite Force Pike, and rolls a 26. The Thug rolls a 20 to parry the blow.

However, with the difficulty, Crunch's roll turns into a 15 (26 - 11 = 15), not good enough to hit the Thug... Save that the thug also has to difficulty. His difficulty makes his parry a 14 (20 - 6 = 14).

Crunch's thurst is almost parried, but the tip of the Force Pike strikes true, and the stun charge hits the Thug, and knocks him out. Of course, this is actually bad luck for the Thug, because Oota, the Insane Rodian is going to be doing the interrogation. Would have been kinder to have the Pike on kill.

At least, that's how my group has done it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
The difficulty subtracts from the rolls when using the weapon.

Example: Crunch is using a Force Pike against a Thug that has a Vibrodagger. The difficulty for the Force Pike is Moderate (11), and the Vibrodagger is Easy (6).

Crunch, as usual, wins initiative. He thrusts forwards with his favorite Force Pike, and rolls a 26. The Thug rolls a 20 to parry the blow.

However, with the difficulty, Crunch's roll turns into a 15 (26 - 11 = 15), not good enough to hit the Thug... Save that the thug also has to difficulty. His difficulty makes his parry a 14 (20 - 6 = 14).

Crunch's thurst is almost parried, but the tip of the Force Pike strikes true, and the stun charge hits the Thug, and knocks him out. Of course, this is actually bad luck for the Thug, because Oota, the Insane Rodian is going to be doing the interrogation. Would have been kinder to have the Pike on kill.

At least, that's how my group has done it.

The way i have always understood it, is the weapon base diff, is the minimum you need to hit (same with an LS) regardless of the parry roll, though if the parry roll is higher that takes precidence. So if say, Muirs the shadow dancer, was stalking Grog the gammorean, and had him by surprise, he would roll his melee (lets say 6d) against his weapon's base diff (say vibro blade, moderate - 14). He rolls a sucky 12. So his surprise attack misses.
Now we are initiave. Grog does not have a melee weapon, so is going to brawl parry. He looses init, so opts to do a full parry (with his 5d brawl parry), and gets 22. Muris, needs 22-10 for the bonus a melee attack gets against brawl parry which would put it at 12, but his weapon's base takes over. So he again, has a 14 diff, and rolls a 19, hitting.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't believe I ever saw a rule saying that you subtract the difficulty from your role. As I see it, the difficulty is like a weapons range: It's the number you have to beat if the person doesn't parry or dodge out of the way, the base difficulty.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, that's how my GM intereperated the rules. So that's how we played.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's alright then. I think it does make sense, I was just stating that it's not the official rules.
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray- the way your GM runs it is greatly penalizing everyone. As stated before, the rule in the books is that you need to beat the difficulty first, and if you do, then you go to the opposed roll. According to how your GM runs it, someone with some combat training, say a 4d melee combat, would be on an even playing field with someone that had only a 1d dodge when using a force pike. The difficulty number shows that training is required, not that it is hard to wield even by a master.

Let us assume average rolls (2d = 7). I have been trained to use a rapier, and am equivelant a 4d+1. I want to thrust my blade into Joe Shmoe (2d everything), holding a stick. Let us assume mod diff for rapier, and no diff for stick. I lose 8 right off the bat, making me effectively 2d. And now we are even. Seems like an unfair penalty.

Apologies if I am being redundant. If it works for your group, go for it, but I am gibing my opinion.

~Tahlorn
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the weapon difficulty is base difficulty to use, adjusted by familiarity with the item.
Have a specialization reduces the difficulty.
Not having the skill at all increases the difficulty.

As long as you make the difficulty you are using the weapon properly.
to finance my 'vette!
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive my ingnorance but it has been years since I played and am just trying to get back into it.

Rays description of the subtraction of the difficulties makes sense to me because if two 2d joe blows have a battle the guy with the easier weapon to use is more likely to hit.

Garhkal's description seems like a clearer version of the rulebooks hazzy way BUT it seems to assume that there is not difficulty to use your melee weapon to parry... and while that simplifies things it makes me wonder if there is a better way

While Tahlorn makes a good point he is assuming that a stick has zero difficulty when in reality a club (just a big stick) is a very easy diff so there is a diff of lets say 3. Using the numbers he put out the both roll average and if we drop Tahlorns difficulty to easy because he would have specialized in Rapier then he wins by 3. (dropping the diff to easy, which in my Revised GM Screen is an average of 8 is strangely what Tahlorn said was the difficulty when it was Moderate - am I missing something or did he mis-type?)

Boomer's comment about making the difficulty means you are using the weapon "properly" seem to me to indicate that it is what you roll over the difficulty that show how "effectively" you are using it - in melee or in parry

In short I like the subtractions with an adjustment for familiarity and specializations, but the Garhkal way (rulebook way) is much simpler even though it ignores the diff of the weapon in parry.

any other ideas how to merge the two?

PS - All your comments are helping me sort this out in my brain, thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: