The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A secret hatch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> A secret hatch Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: A secret hatch Reply with quote

One of my players has recently tried to install a secret escape hatch in his quarters on their light freighter. Unfortunately he missed his repair roll, but I told him that the escape hatch seemed to work just fine. Now I try to come up with some quirk that will show up at the worst possible moment.

Of course I could just say that the hatch is not tight and the air pressure will fall if the ship collides with something or takes damage from blaster fire.

Any other (more creative) ideas?

Thanks
All stats 2D, except: brawling parry: versus boxing 2D+2, melee combat: swords 3D, melee parry: swords 2D+2, languages: english 2D+1, scolar: history 3D, scolar: social studies 2D+1, brawling: boxing 2D+2, computer programming/repair 2D+1.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tossing some around:

- The bad positioning of the hatch interferes with the shield covering, creating a shield hole around the hatch area.

- The hatch simply won't open. And when it finally does, with some abusive force, it won't close back.

- The hatch is very unstable, the only way to keep it from popping outwards is to keep the ship's inner pressure at a barely survivable low level. Anyone not wearing a pressure suit must make repeated stamina tests to avoid fainting.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. He sawed through some wiring of some kind (IE maneuver thrusters, shielding, weapon power cables, you name it).

2. The hole is too small

3. It "sticks out" aka it aint a secret no more

4. It doesn't lead outward..... Rolling Eyes
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did he say anything about a pathway to anywhere when he made this door? I think it might lead to nowhere.

Also, loose wires shocking him.

Gas leak.

Liquid Leak.
to finance my 'vette!
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these ideas are great.

The hatch was just intented to be an escape hatch in case the ship was boarded.
All stats 2D, except: brawling parry: versus boxing 2D+2, melee combat: swords 3D, melee parry: swords 2D+2, languages: english 2D+1, scolar: history 3D, scolar: social studies 2D+1, brawling: boxing 2D+2, computer programming/repair 2D+1.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Escape to what though? Does it go anywhere? What is on the other side?

If it is the outside of the ship, then you could have it create a slow leak of air, unless sealed with gunk, but that gunk makes it near impossible to open it.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if it's just into the 'crawlspace' between the decking and the Hull, then when the ship takes a hit, the dammage starts getting worse as the ship starts to bleed oxygen, and the ship starts to depressurize.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Utinni
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it worked fine when he installed it, but after a few flights the hatch has settled a bit and will give a horrible screeching sound when opened and closed. A screech that can be heard across the ship.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps in addition to a slow leak, the hatch now actually shows up on sensor sweeps, alerting whoever's boarding to the fact that it's there.

Now, if the guy's smart, he'll have someone else go back and check his work- someone with more dice that he has. (Or at least go back and combine their efforts...) Otherwise, he's in for a NASTY surprise. Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Perhaps in addition to a slow leak, the hatch now actually shows up on sensor sweeps, alerting whoever's boarding to the fact that it's there.

Now, if the guy's smart, he'll have someone else go back and check his work- someone with more dice that he has. (Or at least go back and combine their efforts...) Otherwise, he's in for a NASTY surprise. Twisted Evil

Now that is a good one. Have a routine ship inspection, and when they find it, have them toss him in the brig.... make him sweat it out, and maybe he might be left with a fine..
wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

placing weight on the hatch causes the hatch to open unexpectedly.

(been there done that, still thanking the maker was landed on an habitable planet when discovered that boo-boo)
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Jedi Skyler wrote:

Now that is a good one. Have a routine ship inspection, and when they find it, have them toss him in the brig.... make him sweat it out, and maybe he might be left with a fine..

That's only applicable in either a military or pirate setting, I think. Yeah, it'd be a fitting punishment, but might also get the leaders thinking that secret escapes would be a good idea. But then if they wanted to pursue it, they'd have to sink a lot of credits into the ship, because to really do it right, you'd want to install sensor baffling to keep life forms from being detected in there. But then, THAT opens the airlock for any kind of vermin to be living back there, reproducing... Twisted Evil
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After he goes through the secret escape hatch into the ships bilges he suddenly realizes that he FORGOT to put a control to open it from the OTHER side so now he is discovered by a distinct tapping and a mumbled " GET ME OUTTA HERE"
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL.. That would be funny.

"Hey boss, where ya disappear to"

"Got into the ship's latrine"
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hatch inner door detaches during high-G maneuvers and proceeds to careen about the ship for the duration of combat, breaking anything it hits...

Outer hull seperates from hatch, providing a keen-eyed gunners with a distinct weak spot.

Hatch installation severs primary buffer panel, landings become exciting!

Complete Starship Construction System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: