The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Bio-droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Bio-droids Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Bio-droids Reply with quote

Alrighty, here we go.

I have an PC droid that is a bio-droid, human replica, what ever you call it. Think Guri. Heroic scanner roll needed to detect "something odd" , otherwise appears compeltely human. Flesh, blood, mechanical organs, etc. So the question is, how human are they?

My PC is trying to do his best not to be relevealed as a droid. Due to fabricated organs, does he eat and drink for fuel, have to plug into a charging unit, breath, etc.?

At what point of damage does he need a droid mechanic, and not a doctor? The synthe-flesh and blood can heal and be replaced with a medpack, but reseting bones where it has electrical conenctions and motors is another thing.

Alsdo, how organic is a bio-droid? Do they have to worry about being affected my the force in any way, or can they ignore that due to not having an organic mind (save force lightning, telekinises, and other things that can affect machines).

Thanks for your feedback!

~Tahlorn
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that Force effects on them would alert the Jedi to something being not right with the droid, since they would differ from having been used on a real human. Plus, I'd think that if a Jedi used Sense Life, he'd sense something out of place. He might not be able to tell right away, but I'd think there'd be at least something niggling at the back of the brain.

I also believe that powers such as Affect Mind and the Telepathy-related powers would not affect a bio-droid. However, they'd still have to worry about someone using Affect Electronics (or whatever the name was.) Granted, the individual would have to see schematics of the droid, but it is possible.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bio-droids Reply with quote

Tahlorn wrote:

At what point of damage does he need a droid mechanic, and not a doctor? The synthe-flesh and blood can heal and be replaced with a medpack, but reseting bones where it has electrical conenctions and motors is another thing.

Thanks for your feedback!

~Tahlorn

If it were my game, I would say once they have reached the 2nd wounded then they would need assistance. I would say that using the first wounded it isn't too much to say that it's just a fleshwound. But, you've got to say that it's affecting bone and organs at some point. You can have lightly damaged organs without being completely incapacitated. Anyway, that's my take.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, it would depend on what kind of redundancies they have in place and how easily they can reroute power and functions and so on. Of course, that will only be viable up to a point. Once structural integrity is compromised to the point where they've broken limbs and so forth, they're going to need someone with Droid Repair skills.
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so what I am figuring is that force skills that require it to be alive and sentien (affect mind, etc.) would not affect the bio-droid, just lik a normal droid, because though it may have partially organic material, it still is not 'alive'.

Wounded twice requires droid-repair skill, wounded once is just a bad 'flesh wound' as Cheshire put it. Works for me.

So what about recharging fuel cells or the like? I assume a bio-droid is completely anatomically correct (to a standard human), and thus would not be able to eat and drink, but would it do anything for them? Maybe if they had a "Mr. Fussion" in thier gut....
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

solar powered?
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would require solar cells, and a constant source of light. Having such an obvious thing would go against the point of a replica droid, which is to appear human in almsot every manner.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows about an experimental fuel cell. One that is supposed to last 100 years, and can only be changed out at the factory... This way, you don't have to worry about it, unless he takes massive (mortally wounded) damage..

ANd i would say incap is the minimum for needing droid repair...
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think "Aliens" with their use of synthetics. He might have a power jack hidden by a mole on his arm or beneath a patch of hair on his head. Also, IMO, as soon as a Jedi uses any type of Sense Life or such, he would know that it is a droid. As much as they might be sentient, droids are not alive in the biological sense which, again IMHO, Sense Life detects.

E
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put the power jack in the navel of the Bio-Droid. The mole in the arm is for slicing functions and communications interface. Rolling Eyes But that is just me.

As for eating food, yes he can, and it is a simple catalytic process to gain energy from the food eaten.

However, as he doesn't have cells living, growing, multiplying, and dying, there really is neither way or need for the matterial to be absorbed. It would be mulched, condensed and doused in acids, there would be electrochemical power absorbed into circuits just because every little bit of juice helps, and much of the matter would have to be compacted and dumped out as a normal human being would.

Now, he would than have regular cycles of eating, defecating, and urinating, like any human being. The advantage however being that he does not actually need to eat and can at any time simply choose not to anymore, only performing these functions for appearances sake.

However, the amount of power he needs certainly cannot come from the minor energies produced through catalysing. So the illusion begins to fall apart if he is kept from a power generator to link to for more than his battery life allows.

Now that is if he is even using a normal battery. Why not go the extra expense and get the self recharging Lithium/Argon fuel cell to work in conjunction with the power supply of his food.
Lasts for 100 years as long as he can eat at least a few pounds of food a week. Than the illusion is almost 100%.

But those are just some ideas to work with in the food department.
to finance my 'vette!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, like was said in the first post: Think Guri. How does she do it? I don't recall how wide apart her recharging cycles are. However, since she's a human replicant, and appears in pretty much every way human, why wouldn't she then perform her recharging during what would be a human's normal sleep cycle? Not that she'd necessarily need to, mind you. But it seems to me that would produce the least break in her "human" routines, and would then arouse the least suspicion. Sure, she'd need to have access to a recharging port, but her batteries certainly would allow her to operate for much longer than a single day, don't you think?

Surely someone here has stats on Guri... that would provide at least a base for you to work from.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadows of the Empire?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably. I'm just at work and haven't had time to go through that sourcebook to look for info on her. That was more a suggestion to the masses- at least until I have time to consult my sourcebooks.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Shadows of the Empire and returned it today.

Guri never tires, needs no sleep, but can simulate it.

She eats and the food is expelled like a normal human. No mention of this being just function to appear human or if it provides any power.

It is never mentioned how she is powered or when she recharges... than again, it is hardly ever mentioned how other droids are powered and how they recharge.

Depending upon the scanners, Guri shows up a variety of ways. It is said most scanners show her as human.

The scanner that Leia and the gang use on her shows something entirely diffrent. Average body temp too low, her skin shows only 10 years of aging, while her skin is warm she has cold spots lowering the average temperature.
She doesn;t breathe.
Her digestive tract does not work 24/7
And her heartbeat is so regular it is read as an anomaly. Her false heartbeat is so regular a sohpisticated enough scanner noticed it was odd.

That's how Guri worked. When scanned as a whole by a very decent scanner, all of it added togethor made it glaringly clear she was not human.
to finance my 'vette!
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For refueling, it is true that little is seen at least through the movies for droids. R2 is plugged in ONCE, on Dagoba (daygohba? dadgobad?). I like the "experimental fuel cell" idea, makes life simpler, and makes sense so that it doesn't have to recharge often.

Detect Life would give the force user nothing in return, but the Force is not going to yell back "it's a droid!" Rather, that is up to the Jedi character to figure out, which may require a perception roll or such. As for sensors, it says for Guri that a Heroic roll is needed to even detect that 'something is odd', but still doesn't say that it is a droid, though will give into suspicion.

Incap definitely needs droid repair, wounded twice has a high chance, may need a roll to see which part is injured (biological or mechanical).

The PC eats and sleeps, but does it more of a social thing, and as to keep up an illusion. I have fun claiming that the PC gets some sort of fuel from food and drink, and thus will usually order the most bland or bad-tasting thing, as it has the best chemical structure that he needs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: