The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

padwan lightsabers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> padwan lightsabers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: padwan lightsabers Reply with quote

So, at about what age do you guys think academy trained padawans create their lightsabres?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually biuld their own fully functional lightsabers? I'd think it'd be by the end of their training, when they are on their way to being knighted. By human standards I'd say about 17 years old or something....
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh* ok, so what about those sabers that the younglings had? Anyone think that thay might be "stun" sabers maby 2D stun damage?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training lightsabers. There's stats for them in my Weapons book. If I remember correctly they're like normal sabers, but can't do more than Wounded damage and can't cut through stuff.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they had to be as old as seventeen to have their own lightsabers. That kid directly outside the Temple was cutting down clone troopers with a fully-functional lightsaber, and I wouldn't put him as old as seventeen. Close, maybe. But I don't think he was that old personally.

*I'm still getting used to your new avatar, Gry. Did you make it?*
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say that they would only get a saber at 17, I said they might probably only BUILD their own saber at that age, close to the end of their basic training. Before that theyt might get one from the Jedi stocks or their Master might build them one. There are many sources that say that building you lightsaber is part of the tests to becoming a Knight, so I think one would only do that when their close to the end of their "padawanhood".

Actually, this avatar is not new, it's the one I was using before the Play by Post started. But now that that game is on hiatus, I went back to my ol' avatar. That's Gry Sarth himself, my brash pilot, and I made the 3D model myself.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. Point made.

As for the hiatus, what's up? Is Jam too busy these days? I haven't seen him on his site in a while either, and no one's posted on Hellcat's game since last Monday. I understand the Thanksgiving Day holiday and all, but is everyone alright?
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke got his when he was 18, granted he was the son of skywalker. But in the information that I've read it was a part of the tests to becoming a jedi. I could also see a training saber doing less damage. What do you guys think about good lightsabers vs. bad ones? The guy GMing the game is putting into play that if you use "bad" sabers or ones that are red infused with the dark side it creates problems.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, training sabers do less damage. I believe Gry was right (or at least very close) with his 2D rating.

And yes, in all the info I've read, building one's own lightsaber was part of their rite of passage into Knighthood. I've seen other information a long time ago that had older apprentices not yet ready for the trials building their own lightsabers, but the majority of available info has it being at the trial end of one's apprenticeship.

And with the way they showed the whole Order 66 series of events, it's now less implausible than ever for someone to find and keep a fallen Jedi's lightsaber. The only time we saw a clone trooper pick up a dropped weapon was when Obi Wan dropped his BEFORE the order was given, and the lightsaber was returned to him. So I don't believe the troopers were under orders to retrieve those weapons- and that would leave the possibility for any number of them to have been retrieved. Then of course, there's Mace Windu's lightsaber and Yoda's, both of which were lost on Coruscant without ever being visibly retrieved. Both could be found by anyone, which would open up new doors of possibilities down the road.

As for "bad" sabers, I wouldn't rule that a lightsaber with a red blade was inherently infused with the dark side. It could simply be the gem that was used for focusing the energy. I can, however, understand why your GM would push the issue with a Sith's lightsaber creating problems for a light sider who used it. Since lightsabers are created by a Force user going into a trance and imbuing the Force into each and every component, both individually and as a whole. The weapon is truly forged into an extension of that particular Force user. That being the case, it's logical to assume that a Sith's lightsaber would be infused with Dark Side energy, and I can see that creating a bit of a problem for a Jedi trying to use.

And, that problem MIGHT be negated for a Jedi who had Dark Side Points... but that's a whole other discussion. Laughing
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a decreased difficulty number for using a lightsaber that you have created yourself? Or do you get to add an extra die to your skill? Anyone know how this works, if it is so?

E
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would (if going to impose penatlies) impose a penatly for using a saber that either you didn't build, or wasn't built for you. Although I wouldn't do that.

As far as the WEG rules, there is a penalty for losing a saber until you construct another...those penalties affected all your force skills; not just lightsaber combat.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ejacobs wrote:
Is there a decreased difficulty number for using a lightsaber that you have created yourself? Or do you get to add an extra die to your skill? Anyone know how this works, if it is so?

E

While not BTB, i know sparks allows the lessening of the difficulty to bring up LS Combat, and a lowering of the base weapon diff when using a LS you made.... So instead of cutting yourself if you rolled a poor 10 or less, if you make it yourself, it only happens on a 5 or less...
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking like making the CP cost to advance like a specialty, where it costs half the number in front of the D instead of the full amount? I like that.

As for the lowering of the self inflicted damage to rolling a 5 or less, I can't do that now. I think the 10 is a good number, especially once you start adding in your Sense to hit. That's lots of dice and you may not even be able to roll a 10, much less lower than it.

E
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, he's talking about lowering the base difficulty number when you use a lightsaber that you personally constructed. You would then have a natural connection to that particular weapon, and would therefore be more natural using it than anyone else.

And Endwyn's right. A Jedi who loses his lightsaber suffers a penalty on ALL Force use (I think it's -1D to all Force skills) until he constructs a new lightsaber. Part of the depression at having lost such an integral part of his identity and station, not to mention the connection through the Force that he had with the weapon.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...which goes very well with: "This weapon is your life!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: