The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Holographic Technology Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Holographic Technology Question Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all about INPUT speed. I have run characters with a similar device a couple times, but I haven't had to go into such detail on this issue before; Alanossiel and I are PMing about it. Up until now, I'd had a generic kind of vision for it in my head, including input that was normally done directly through a reduced kind of keyboard...a kind of shorthand, if you will, like a court stenographer's machine. However, the questions she's been asking me about it have gotten me thinking more specifically about it, and coming up with some different methods of addressing the kinds of issues that might be used by a GM to slow things down for the character.

Plus, with all the friction between Jeaubert and Louw, it would do them both good for Jeaubert to have a project to work on that would keep them out of each others' collective hair...or off their scalps. Wink
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have much to add here other that - if this were in my game (and provided the player was willing to pay a lot of credits for it, as it sounds all acknowledge that it would be expensive) - I'd totally allow it. It sounds like it's mostly for the "Kewl" factor, but also to have some unique and interesting tech, and I don't see it as majorly game breaking in any way, so I'd be inclined to allowing it, to encourage player creativity and uniqueness.
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're worrying about GM monkey wrenches, they can always figure one out. Depending on how things are going your holo keyboard could have a minor glitch with the imager, adding to the DC, up to the receiver being misaligned that causes the wrong code to be typed in...say when trying to breach security at an imp base, which would trigger failsafes that lock the base down and alert sector HQ. The light spill, while not enough to provide light for you in a dark situation, would make you a blazing target for anyone hunting you in said dark. An optical band with subvocal mic or retina tracking might work better for you to be honest. Preloaded assault and defensive routines, and keep the rollout keyboard for emergencies.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
This is all about INPUT speed. I have run characters with a similar device a couple times, but I haven't had to go into such detail on this issue before; Alanossiel and I are PMing about it.

Ah, yes. I actually like how she doesn't let people get away with stuff like that. I've had to do quite a bit of behind-the-scenes PM negotiating with her about the SW stuff.

It was quite an ordeal figuring out the hyperspace/astrogation technology. As you know I've done a lot of work figuring that sort of stuff out in my own mind, dealing with the Nav Computer, but also some of the add-ons to the Nav Computer that I never developed online. This included a astrogation difficulty target calculator, attached to the dice-roller.

Endless Flight and Ronin pretty much took my stuff for granted. Alanossiel, on the other hand, interrogated me about it, asking me all the ins and outs so that I wouldn't use this sort of thing to make stuff up on the fly for my character's advantage, hiding it under a bunch of technobabble.

She's a sharp one she is. Wink

What's the input speed problem? Doesn't he have six fingers per hand? That should cut down on things, for sure.... unless several of those fingers are thumbs.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ral_Brelt wrote:
If you're worrying about GM monkey wrenches, they can always figure one out. Depending on how things are going your holo keyboard could have a minor glitch with the imager, adding to the DC, up to the receiver being misaligned that causes the wrong code to be typed in...say when trying to breach security at an imp base, which would trigger failsafes that lock the base down and alert sector HQ. The light spill, while not enough to provide light for you in a dark situation, would make you a blazing target for anyone hunting you in said dark. An optical band with subvocal mic or retina tracking might work better for you to be honest. Preloaded assault and defensive routines, and keep the rollout keyboard for emergencies.

In addition, any damage or big jarring shakes taken to the hands/arms where the devices rest can easily misaligned or knock the gear out of whak.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Mike:

Yes, I admire that about her as well. She is very much on top of things, and she's doing a great job running the adventure, especially stepping into an already-running game. As for the input speed, yes he does have six fingers per hand. The issue is that the bracer computer is exactly that: it's a computer that is embedded in an armored bracer that resides on his left forearm. As it stands right now, input can only be made by his right hand. So, even with six fingers, typing is slower than it would be could he use all twelve. Hence the desire for full-keyboard capability.

@garkhal:

That is why the original computer unit is embedded into an armored bracer; to protect the computer components. I figure the holographic keyboard would require the addition of a second bracer, with projectors installed, so there could be a continuous, uninterrupted projection (uninterrupted, of course, except by intended input).
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Yes, I admire that about her as well. She is very much on top of things, and she's doing a great job running the adventure, especially stepping into an already-running game. As for the input speed, yes he does have six fingers per hand. The issue is that the bracer computer is exactly that: it's a computer that is embedded in an armored bracer that resides on his left forearm. As it stands right now, input can only be made by his right hand. So, even with six fingers, typing is slower than it would be could he use all twelve. Hence the desire for full-keyboard capability.

Doesn't Jeaubert have a bit too much to worry about at present to start worrying about the newest kewlest upgrade to his bracer?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not for him to do right this second...you're starting to sound a lot like Louw...lol
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
It's not for him to do right this second...you're starting to sound a lot like Louw...lol

Thank you! Very Happy
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol

I am glad you've gotten involved in the discussion. I know you've put a LOT of work into the Nav Computer, and you think things out well.

I have given Alanossiel the link for this thread so she can follow along, and so she can see the results.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:

That is why the original computer unit is embedded into an armored bracer; to protect the computer components. I figure the holographic keyboard would require the addition of a second bracer, with projectors installed, so there could be a continuous, uninterrupted projection (uninterrupted, of course, except by intended input).

Just cause they are "Armored bracers" does not mean they completely Shock proof the components inside.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't get is why a holo-keyboard? Why not have a galaxy-map of computer programs suspended via 3D-projection around your head and you reach up a hand and physically move one "planet" to another to run programs and access data?
Sort of like the projected interface Tom Cruise uses in Minority Report, just holographic instead of reflected off glass but the same kind of interface action. You physically interact with holographic icons and projection to operate the computer. Much quicker than a keyboard.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
What I don't get is why a holo-keyboard? Why not have a galaxy-map of computer programs suspended via 3D-projection around your head and you reach up a hand and physically move one "planet" to another to run programs and access data?
Sort of like the projected interface Tom Cruise uses in Minority Report, just holographic instead of reflected off glass but the same kind of interface action. You physically interact with holographic icons and projection to operate the computer. Much quicker than a keyboard.

Rgr on that. If you are going for this kind of 'kewl' technology, why limit it to a keyboard ... why not go all the way on it. The cost will be high either way.

Forgive all spelling errors.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:

That also sounds like how some see the 4e shadowrunner deckers/hackers..
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:

First, I've never seen Minority Report, so I can't speak to that. Wink

Second, I'm not looking to have a totally flashy thing here. Although I suppose it *can* be seen that way, all I'm after is a full keyboard that my character can access at the push of a button. The only reason I'd thought of it is so he can do all the wonderful slicerly things he's capable of, without being slowed down by one-handed typing, and also doesn't have to spend a round pulling out and connecting a collapsible keyboard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: