The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Holographic Technology Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Holographic Technology Question Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Holographic Technology Question Reply with quote

Greetings, all!

I'm in a game on another board, and have run into some issues I need to have clarified before I can proceed. I'm running an Anomid slicer/techie who uses a portable computer that's embedded in an armored bracer. There is the usual interface on such a device, which is not the quickest method of typing. There is the ability to connect a portable computer via cable connector, and use that keyboard to increase input speed. What I would *like* to do is install a holographic keyboard function to speed up input when timing becomes crucial.

To do this, I'm figuring on installing a ring of miniature hologram projectors in the end of the bracer facing his hand, as well as another set of projectors in the same end of a bracer to go on his other forearm. The idea behind this is to have unbroken projection of the keyboard, regardless of the positioning of his hands, due to the ring of projectors on each hand. In addition, I'm figuring the bracers should be connected by the same kind of wi-fi connection that the original bracer computer uses to connect to a ship's computer, HoloNet terminal, and whatnot, as well as including a datajack on each bracer so a cable can be used to connect them when there is some form of jamming that blocks the wi-fi signal.

I got the idea for this from the first Iron Man movie, when Tony gets back to his workshop and activates that keyboard by passing his hands over it; I thought it was a really cool idea, and that by converting it to use in my game, it would negate the need for having to carry around a physical collapsible keyboard to accomplish the results I'm after.

What I need from everyone here is information on just what hologram technology is truly capable of in the SW universe. I believe I've read in some of the books where an individual was looking at a holographic galactic map, reached in and 'touched' a point within that map, and had the map zoom in to look at the specific system indicated, but I can't remember where I'd seen it.

I know that holocomms are a very expensive method of communication, but what I'm thinking of isn't anywhere near as involved. At least, I don't believe so. I'm thinking of the small hand projector Qui Gon has in Episode I, only with a ring of projectors many times smaller than even that palm-sized plate.

Can anyone give me some valid information to show why this should or should not be possible? And if it is possible, what kind of skills should I look at having my slicer learn in order to install such functionality? I mean, holograms are obviously brought about through computer programming, so that's a no-brainer; he already has the skills in that area. However, if this technology is NOT currently attainable, would adding an advanced skill like Computer Engineering or Software Engineering be sufficient to have the knowledge to do it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this. I've already told my GM that I'd be putting the feelers out on this site, and that I'd be taking the information I get back to her for consideration. So please, let's hash this bad boy out!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen anything in a book on that, but it sounds like a info source one character i knew of a while back had. He could jack a datapad into it and scroll the data on it holographically like you are wanting to do, but iirc the DM had him require (A) computer engineering and (A) holographic tech engineering to do so..
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What your talking about is pretty much just a special effect. I'd make it expensive, to explain why everyone else in the universe isn't already doing it.

Miniature holoprojector arrays aren't cheap you know.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically you want to install a holographic touch screen that projects/presents in the shape of a keyboard. No prob, totally SWU technology.
But expensive. Much cheaper and easier would be a jury rig something like an lcd touchscreen but you can do a holographic screen with (A) computer engineering instead of just computer prog/repair. You could do an lcd touchscreen with just computer prog/repair and jury rig it.
That'd be my GM ruling for a PC. Just expensive, would need planetary locations with minimum Stellar Class facilities as a guideline on local trade and tech availability. You'd have to source parts and lay out some credits. There'd be no guarantee the first attempt would work. An engineering difficulty would have to be decided by the GM, and a parts cost.
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I want a bluetooth datapad for lifeday daddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Revenge is beneath me , but accidents DO happen .
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They actually currently make a laser projected bluetooth virtual keyboard that can be projected on any flat surface. The transmitter/receiver is roughly the size of a medium salt or pepper shaker. ( 3.5-4 inches tall) and can connect to either a smart phone or tablet. You can get one from Brookstone for around 99 bucks.
8)

jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While holo communication is expensive (because of the enormous amount of data being transmitted), I think a holo keyboard is a cool idea and very doable. Why isn't everyone doing it? Does everyone carry around a cellphone or ipad?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
While holo communication is expensive (because of the enormous amount of data being transmitted), I think a holo keyboard is a cool idea and very doable. Why isn't everyone doing it? Does everyone carry around a cellphone or ipad?

That's why I'm asking about it. I know holo communication is very expensive; that's specifically mentioned a number of times in the books. I did look in Gry's Equipment Stats book, and came up with the stats on Qui Gon's handheld projector:

Model: SoroSuub Imagecaster
Type: Personal holoprojector
Cost: 1,000
Availability: 2
Game Notes: Can project holographic images up to 30
centimeters across and stores up to 100 minutes’ worth
of images. Can be connected to almost any data source,
including droids, holorecorders and larger holoprojectors.
It cannot transmit or receive images by itself, but if two
comlink are each connected to an Imagecaster, they can
send and receive real-time images. Energy cell lasts for 24
hours of use.
Source: Arms and Equipment Guide (page 88)

This particular piece of equipment is not hard to find. However, the projection plate is bigger than what I'm envisioning. I'm thinking that the size of projector I'd want for this would be more along the lines of a combination of the Image Caster and this, also in Gry's book:

Model: Gorondin Chronometrics Time Piece Model 7643
Type: Personal holographic chronometer
Cost: 300 (standard model), 50 (chips with additional
imagery), 500+ deluxe models (depending upon features)
Availability: 2
Game Notes: Wearer can choose from over a dozen builtin
holographic displays to relay time, temperature, or other
vital information. Deluxe models allow personalized holomessages
up to 15 centimeters in height.
Source: Galladinium’s Fantastic Technology (page 35)

It's a lot cheaper, and the projector is a lot smaller. However, since there's no real interaction capabilities with the second one, that's where the Engineering skills are gonna come in.

It was asked why you don't see this tech prevalent in the SW universe. Short answer is that we didn't have the ability to accurately represent it visually on the screen back in the day. And even though there's a gross breakdown in continuity between the novels and the movies, Lucas at least kept SOME continuity between the trilogies. Long answer, could be any number of reasons. Personally, I don't believe the technology isn't possible; I mean, they travel through hyperspace for crying out loud. However, when you look at Han Solo, you kinda see a cross between sci fi and western with the way he swaggers across the screen. Having a lot of hologram tech would have perhaps taken away from the grittiness I believe Lucas was going for visually. That could be a reason why the holograms we see are either grainy or wire frame images; it allows there to BE holo tech, without taking away from the visual imagery present everywhere else.

Granted, this is just my opinion...
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see why this ttech could not be achieved. If I were going to build it in real life, Id start with a radar beam and a light projection device. The light would cast beams that intersected with each other, such that spots of intersection were brighter than spots with only a single beam... and where three beams intersect, it is brighter still, etc. The intersecting beams would be ised to generate a "hologram" granting apparent dimension and form by rendering brighter areas with more beams and darker areas with fewer beams. The higher resolution you want, the more beams you need.

The radar beam would be cast in the same direction as the light, and when it detected an interruption, it would determine the distance that interruption was from its source and would thereffore "know" which key was being pressed (the finger "touching" the key interrupts the radar beam, changing the frequency based on its proximity to the source of the radar).
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Personally, I don't believe the technology isn't possible; I mean, they travel through hyperspace for crying out loud.

I agree that this technology probably exists, but I think your argument here is pretty flawed. Humans (etc.) have hyperspace technology because they reverse-engineered it.

But that's not the issue, really. I don't see why holographic input for something so simple as a keyboard should not be possible, for the same reasons as our colleagues, above, state: that it's not that difficult. You'd simply have to have two circuits - one for projection and the other for input.

I think the question is: Why?

If you're wanting to manipulate something other than just a keyboard on your wrist, then it's no problem. But in that case, why not a physical keyboard? I don't see your speed argument making sense here. Why would a holographic keyboard be faster than a physical one? Is it just to make it look kewl?

If you want an increase in speed, why not go neural? Clearly that technology exists: consider Natasi Daala, General Grievous, and Lobot.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. Or go the route of an optical keyboard... like our goggle glasses.
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe cybernetics have been vetoed in his game...or he may be afraid of ion weaponry and cybernetics attached to the brain?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein wrote:
Jedi Skyler wrote:
Personally, I don't believe the technology isn't possible; I mean, they travel through hyperspace for crying out loud.

I agree that this technology probably exists, but I think your argument here is pretty flawed. Humans (etc.) have hyperspace technology because they reverse-engineered it.

But that's not the issue, really. I don't see why holographic input for something so simple as a keyboard should not be possible, for the same reasons as our colleagues, above, state: that it's not that difficult. You'd simply have to have two circuits - one for projection and the other for input.

I think the question is: Why?

If you're wanting to manipulate something other than just a keyboard on your wrist, then it's no problem. But in that case, why not a physical keyboard? I don't see your speed argument making sense here. Why would a holographic keyboard be faster than a physical one? Is it just to make it look kewl?

If you want an increase in speed, why not go neural? Clearly that technology exists: consider Natasi Daala, General Grievous, and Lobot.

A physical keyboard is, of course, doable. For that I'm picturing the completely flexible rubberized model, something that can be rolled up and easily stored. However, for that you still have to unpack it, unroll it, and plug it in. For the holo keyboard, all you need to do is activate it, and there it is. Also, while such a thing does undoubtedly look 'kewl,' it also will serve as an easily-seen input method in low light, something that doesn't need to be fumbled for when it's hard to see. I realize this may sound like I'm reaching, but surely there are creative GMs out there who have thrown a blackout at their PCs in a game before. This item obviously won't provide a great deal of illumination, although the brightness can presumably be changed at any time; however, it would indeed come in handy at that point.

And finally, as for going neural or using cyberware, this character is a Force user, and we all know what effects cyberware can have on one's ability to use the Force. Wink
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget that some species can see in more spectrum's than humans can . That way you can have a non human sitting there typing away and humans think that he is just drumming his/her/it's digital appendages on the table top.

And you can make the holo projector the size of a clip on rank cylinder with fold-able wire stands for stability. We currently have the tech today so it should be a No-Brainer that we can crossover the tech to SW

Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Also, while such a thing does undoubtedly look 'kewl,' it also will serve as an easily-seen input method in low light, something that doesn't need to be fumbled for when it's hard to see.

Hm, if being able to do this in low-light occasions is the only reason you'd want to do this is, then why not simply a little flashlight on your forehead. it would sure save the cost of all that hologram activity.

But you mentioned speed before - what kind of speed are you talking about? Surely not processing speed. What kind of input does your bracer have now? I think you've had this character concept quite a ... number of times. Surely you've detailed this before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: