The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Venator's superiority vs any and all ISDs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> The Venator's superiority vs any and all ISDs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Even with them being that small, i still think over two hundred+ fighters, is a bit much. Even at max capacity a US air craft carrier, still only gets up to 72 fighters...

A Venator is over 4x longer than a modern aircraft carrier, is similarly large its other dimensions, and likely has at least 20x the volume. In addition, the fighters in question are actually smaller than modern jet fighters and (thanks to repulsorlifts) don’t need runway space for takeoffs and landings. 400+ fighters isn’t implausible.

I think the 400 is a number someone in a book just made up - I mean - we see stats in 'cross section' books that are just absurd.

I mean - 192 Actis-class interceptor - those are the jedi star fighters.
They have 192 tucked away in there for the one or two jedi on board?

Our beloved game of space wizards has tons of inconsistencies and logical gaps in the game rules as is - much less other sources.
With ship stats being one area with so many, that many folks have even come up with overhauling everything....

I would say 120 -200 at most.

But - hey - every game is different - so each GM should use what makes sense to them.

Last edited by pakman on Fri May 17, 2024 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the numbers are just made up, but that doesn't make them implausible. If anything, considering the number of droid starfighters Separatist ships could deploy, it may not be enough. I'd certainly swap out the Eta-2's for something in more common use (like a V-19 which has some ordnance capability packed into a similar footprint), but the overall aerospace group size works. If nothing else, the Fractalsponge Discord (which is waaaaay more science-heavy than we are) doesn't dispute it.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Even with them being that small, i still think over two hundred+ fighters, is a bit much. Even at max capacity a US air craft carrier, still only gets up to 72 fighters...

A Venator is over 4x longer than a modern aircraft carrier, is similarly large its other dimensions, and likely has at least 20x the volume. In addition, the fighters in question are actually smaller than modern jet fighters and (thanks to repulsorlifts) don’t need runway space for takeoffs and landings. 400+ fighters isn’t implausible.

True, it is likely 3-4 times in size, but it also has well in excess of 5 times the crew...
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 2:58 pm    Post subject: flying skyscrapers Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Biggest Carriers yet made on Earth Length: ≈300 meters
Victory-class Star Destroyer Length: 900 meters
Venator-class Star Destroyer Length: 1,137 meters (or 1,155 meters depending on source)

Lets say we take 6 Earth Carriers & set them in 2 rows of 3 Carriers, that isn't even the width of the Victory or the Venator, and as i'm fairly sure CRMcNeill would concur, those six Earth Carriers Are but A mere fraction of either Star Destroyer's volume.
6 x 72 = 432, which is, incidentally, what my Venators field in the Imperial & later eras.
So 400+ isn't a ridiculous or whimsical number of fighters for flying skyscrapers to carry.
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, they could essentially put six carriers side by side and long to equate a victory or such. BUT then take a look at the crew. 140,000+ for the venerator.. COMPARED to 5.5k x 5 = 33k...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What’s a Venerator? The Venator only has 7,400 crew, plus 2,000 troops. There’s plenty of room for them and a lot more besides.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: flying skyscrapers Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
as i'm fairly sure CRMcNeill would concur,

Yes.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOh. Was thinking of victory isds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: