The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ship modifications
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Ship modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grumsy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Ship modifications Reply with quote

I have found a few resources in the books about modding out your ship, but it would seem that there should be more information about it somewhere. I have scoured the interwebz and pulled a search on here and I can not find much info.

So, I was thinking if there is not a web resource somewhere I was going to make my own system for it. The best thing I have found so far is the stuff in Tramp Freighters and the little bit of stuff in Pirates & Privateers. This just seems a little light on details. I know that it is the thrust of SW to be kind of vague at times favoring cinematics over game play, but this is a little too light for me.

So if you guys can point me to some fan made stuff or something official that would be cool. If there isn't anything out there I'll expand what is out there and share it with you guys =)
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a nice Star Wars ship construction guide here:

http://dimfuture.net/d6universe/?p=75#more-75
grumsy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen that before and I guess that is the closest thing to what I am talking about I can find. That is an awesome sheet though, and after looking at it again I can see where that would be good for modifying a ship. When I first glanced at it I was thinking that it was just for making a new ship from the ground up. Thanks for the tip =)

If there are anything other things out there please post, I would be grateful.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighter? An entire chapter dedicated to repairs and mods in there with rules on it.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did mention the best thing he has seen so far was in Tramp freighters and in the privates/privateers book.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... help me out. What more modifications do you want? Are you talking about like adding a docking clamp, or an underside swivel blaster, or do you mean more significant overhauls to ship stats, such as maneuverability, greater sublight speed, and the like?
grumsy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tramp freighters seems dated to me. It still uses the die codes for space speed. I mean doing the conversion for that isn't a big thing but the rest of the book just seems out of date when compared with a book like pirates and privateers. Not only that the credit scaling seems a bit off for some things. I was just looking for a more updated version of the stuff in that book.

sheet rerun941 posted will work fine. Thanks =)
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps, I7ve got a project in the works for vehicle design and modfication. It will give you more options than Tramp Frieghters, but it isn't near to be finished, and won't be any time soon.

However, if there is something specfic you want to do, I might be able to offer a suggest from my notes.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grumsy wrote:
Tramp freighters seems dated to me. It still uses the die codes for space speed. I mean doing the conversion for that isn't a big thing but the rest of the book just seems out of date when compared with a book like pirates and privateers. Not only that the credit scaling seems a bit off for some things. I was just looking for a more updated version of the stuff in that book.

You must have a 1st Edition copy of the book, then. Because the edition I have uses straight numbers for Space and Move.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grumsy wrote:

Im not a big fan of tramp freighters either, even if my 1st ed book easily translates into 2nd. Weapons are ridiculously cheap. Hyperspace engines likewise. Sensors are a dime a dozen. Another thing is that the weight of engines doesnt make sense, in general they are too light (I remember the old 'multiple weak engines' arguement from another thread).

I made my own system years ago, but its lost along with the rest of my WEG SW collection Evil or Very Mad

Im working on a new one, but as Im in the middle of starting three businesses at more or less the same time SW projects dont seem to find their ways on to paper (or into the computer)..
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got second edition, same as Rerun. And in your initial post you said you were looking for more info on modding, not nesicarily on more mods. That is more info on modding.

Wanted Poster
Captain Xenon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive seen both editions of tramp freighters- they each have unique information on modification. While most of the modification rules are in the 2e version, the 1e version is unique in details on fuel cells and their usage, as well as losing speed to gain cargo capacity when installing engines (it translates into 1 space for 10 tons in 2e rules). the modified ships in the book use the 1e rules, as they are the same in both versions. having both editions gives you more options in ship modification.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Xenon wrote:
ive seen both editions of tramp freighters- they each have unique information on modification. While most of the modification rules are in the 2e version, the 1e version is unique in details on fuel cells and their usage, as well as losing speed to gain cargo capacity when installing engines (it translates into 1 space for 10 tons in 2e rules). the modified ships in the book use the 1e rules, as they are the same in both versions. having both editions gives you more options in ship modification.

We're having an almost identical discussion in another thread right now. I'd love to see the rules you're referring to, since I've never seen 1E Tramp Freighters.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Xenon wrote:

And also the cost for maneuverability being based on the ships hull (mass).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: