The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

My take on auto fire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> My take on auto fire Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer simple rules as well.

Example is how we treat X-wing laser cannons. Pilots have three fire choices.
Quad - 6D damage normal fire control
Paired - 5D damage add +1D to fire control
Single - 4D damage add +2D to fire control

TIEs are similar, but since they only have two laser cannons.
Paired - 5D damage normal fire control
Single - 4D damage add +1D to fire control

Similarly with light repeating blasters (which I assume fires a blast similar to a blaster rifle)
6D damage no bonus to hit
5D damage +1D to hit
single shot would be as a blaster rifle 5D damage, no bonus to hit

One could also create a submachinegun like repeating blaster that would have damage/to hit bonuses like an X-wing.

This method is actually simpler than it looks for our campaign since we house rule combined fire based on powers of two.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

If you trade a +1D to hit Autofire die for the ability to fire at two targets with the same attack dice as if firing at one target it seems better to use my Focused Fire rules. That way you at least have a 1D advantage for the first target. If you translate a +1 pip Autofire bonus into several targets it makes more sense, but begs the question how powerful automatic weapons you want in your game if such small autofire bonuses can be turned into multifire.

THat is the question. How powerful. IF you make autfirer weapons too good, then everybody will use them. +1 pip = 1 target would make autoweapons too nasty, IMO. I'm not sure it makes more sense either. At least not for a short burst (I'm not running this as a "full" action, so someone can do mutiple bursts). THe typical 3-5 round burst isn7t going to sweep a room.

ZzaphodD wrote:

I kept all my Autofire dice full dice for simplictlys sake. I wanted a rules set that worked in most cases as the normal combat rules, you just threw in a couple of extra dice (the area fire option is seldom used in the heat of the battle).

I can't say I blame you. There are certaily advantages to using full dice, and I might switch to that. I assigned the burst values (BV) bya foumlua based on the weapon7s rate of fire.

Like you, I was looking for a rule of thumb that would be easy to apply in game. I also wanted something that I could apply to write ups of real world weapons for some specific adventures with pre-stellar civilizations.

I thinking of trying to adjust my formula to work with that doubling scale someone suggested awhile back. I'm also considering reducing the bonus but applying it evenly to attack and damage. I jcan't quite justfiy how someone could actually break up a burst between attack and damage. It7s not like you can hose a target down with a vulcan and claim that you just wanted to make sure you hit the target once (and only once).
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we have discussed Autofire values at lenght before... Laughing

I have to say that I decided upon the exact values more from a game-balance/fun point than from any kind of formula, so we are coming from different directions here.

Our earlier GM 'invented' a new weapon for the nasty Nohgri commandoes coming after our (very advanced) characters, namely the Autoblaster. This was essentially a low range carbine doing 6D damage, following the same ideas as the repeating blasters. When I took over the GM role I wanted the autofire weapons to do more than just cause more damage, so I invented the +1D Autofire dice and instead lowered the repeating weapons damage value with 1D. After a while I developed the idea and invented some 2D and 3D Autofire weapons.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

Laughing

I have to say that I decided upon the exact values more from a game-balance/fun point than from any kind of formula, so we are coming from different directions here. [/quote]

Still, it is funny that of the half dozen or so variants posted on the forum, including this one, the numbers are all fairly similar.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

Laughing

I have to say that I decided upon the exact values more from a game-balance/fun point than from any kind of formula, so we are coming from different directions here.

Still, it is funny that of the half dozen or so variants posted on the forum, including this one, the numbers are all fairly similar.[/quote]

Yeah, its more in the details. If I remember correctly you had a finer 'scale' in autofire, it dice and pips, while I have only whole dice.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think the biggest difference in out stats was due to the fact thay you consided the E-Web to be analogous to a medium MG, and I considered it analogous to a heavy MG. So mine did more damage but had fewer burst dice, but the net effect was the same.

Even that doubling system wasn't far off from the rest.
jonnjonnzz
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Han Solo and the Corporate Sector, page 117 under the listing for "Authority Riot Gun" it actually states the following:

Game notes: On constant-fire mode, each "shot" fires five blasts; holding the trigger down will fire six "shots" per round. In game terms, once a shot hits in a round, all following shots at the same or immediately adjacent targets (within one meter) are one difficulty level lower. Whit this type of firing mode it is much easier to shoot down a row of stormtroopers or other targets.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnjonnzz wrote:
In Han Solo and the Corporate Sector, page 117 under the listing for "Authority Riot Gun" it actually states the following:

Game notes: On constant-fire mode, each "shot" fires five blasts; holding the trigger down will fire six "shots" per round. In game terms, once a shot hits in a round, all following shots at the same or immediately adjacent targets (within one meter) are one difficulty level lower. Whit this type of firing mode it is much easier to shoot down a row of stormtroopers or other targets.

I have seen the same idea repeated in other places. I dont like it much. To begin with its too much dice rolling, and a bit too powerful as well.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I7m not fond of the "riot gun" rules either. The bonus is worthless if the opponents dicide to stand 2 meters apart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: