The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Maneuverability and Piloting House Rule Suggestion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Maneuverability and Piloting House Rule Suggestion Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Maneuverability and Piloting House Rule Suggestion Reply with quote

Soniv wrote:

I thought back to my days playing X-Wing, TIE Fighter and the like, and remembered that while it was easier to pilot the more maneuverable ships, unless I actually knew what I was doing, all the maneuverability in the world wouldn't help me out. Thus, after some deliberation, I designed the following house rule:

If the player's piloting skill <= the ship's maneuverability die code, simply use the player's piloting skill.

If the player's piloting skill > the ship's maneuverability die code, average the piloting skill and the maneuverability die code. This is the new die code the player uses

Having obviously misunderstood your rule before, here comes my second feedback.

-I get the idea youre presenting when the Pilots skill is less than the ships maneuverability. If you are not a sufficiently advanced pilot you cannot take advantage of an advanced starships maneuverability.

-The second part, where the average of Maneuverability and Piloting skill is the effective piloting roll I dont really get. What is it supposed to represent? I get it that it put more emphazis on Maneuverability, but with the method chosen it does so by making the pilots skill less important overall. To me that does not represent the advantage of combining a high agility fighter with a highly skilled pilot.

My above rule does not remove the maneuverability bonus alltogether for less skilled pilots, but the maneuverability bonus get higher the higher the pilots skill rating is. This then represent the same thing. What could be added is a minimum skill rating needed to fly the starship at all.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinseyfs wrote:
Okay, as maneuverability is factored a bonus to the player's skill, you would need to completely adjust the maneuver codes of all the ships. On top of that, this will penalize pilots. Do you plan on adding accuracy dies codes to blasters as well?

Plus unless you also neuter gunnery in some way, ships will always get hit.

Quote:
I have to say, this mechanic works even better in all aspects; it's simple, does what I intended it to do, and like you said, doesn't really penalize more skilled pilots. I'm glad I consulted the Pit about this; you guys are great to bounce ideas off of.

HU?> How are you coming to that conclusion? NO ships have 6d or more maneuverability. Which is what most listed pilots are at. (source books).. So anything above that IS getting penalized as they can't use more of it due to having a low maneuverability craft.

Quote:
Don't you mean, counterintuitive to how piloting works... in those video games? When I first started reading your post, I thought you were a real pilot and were going to compare real life to the game mechanics.

Well said. It would be like arguing that we should have insta med packs and shield boosters like in dark forces/jedi knight.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Maneuverability and Piloting House Rule Suggestion Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Just to be Devil's Advocate here: How do you know that those piloting games didn't have it wrong while Star Wars 2E had it right? 8)

Hey, I thought I had that job. Laughing http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/search.php?mode=results[/url]
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the thing about this variant is that ultimately all it does is lower pilot skill and reduce rthe effects of maneuverability.

Most "pilots" will have a skill of 4D or higher, and so be over the MAN cap of thier vechile.

At that point, averaging is juast going to reduce the effect of pilot by by half.

For instac,e lets say we got two pilots flying a fighter that had a MAN of 2D. Now the first piot has a 4D skill, but the second is an ace pilot with an 8D skill.

With the averaging variant, this works out to 3D vs. 5D.

If the second guy is one of the best pilots around with a 12D skill, it gets reduced to 7D in a Y-Wing.

If you put them both in A-Wings, nothing changes other than you raise each pilot7s scores by 1D.

So this variant reduces the effect of vechile maneuverability and pilot skill.

And since the PCs tend to be the ones with the most maneuverable vehicles and the higher skill ratings, I think it hurts them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: