The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

No, you can't use a Force Point yet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> No, you can't use a Force Point yet!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: No, you can't use a Force Point yet! Reply with quote

Sometimes an effective plot device is to have the players encounter the villain early in an adventure, but not have the players successfully confront the villain until the climax of the adventure. That can be difficult to arrange.

In addition, I find it can sometimes be helpful in SW to signal the players when using a FP might be dramatic and when it might not. Note that the rest of what I am going to say and the suggestions I will make is aimed at GMs and players that prefer a dramatic as opposed to realistic style of play. If you are into realism rather than drama, this House Rule is not for you.

One interesting idea I found from the Torg / Indiana Jones /Master Book games. The idea was that some scenes were dramatic scenes and other scenes were standard scenes. Now in Torg, in a standard scene, the player characters have the edge and the pace is quick and the action fast. While in a dramatic scene, your party is faced with a tough situation, or a conflict central to the story and the odds are initially stacked against the players.

I’ve thought of trying to use an idea something like this in SWD6, but with a twist. I envision three types of scenes.

Dramatic Scenes: players may use CP, FP, according to the rules. FPs used dramatically or unselfishly in a Dramatic Scene are regained at the end of the adventure. Dramatic Scenes are the only during the climax of an adventure or, in a long adventure, may also be at the key turning points leading up to the climax. Think Luke blowing up the Death Star.

Standard Scenes: players may use CP, FP, whatever according to the rules. Use of a FP in a Standard Scene may often result in the FP not being returned at the end of the adventure. Standard Scenes are most scenes in Star Wars. Think the Cantina Scene in Mos Eiseley.

Villain Scenes (don’t like this name, but haven’t thought of a better one): players may not use FP and may only use character points to avoid or decrease damage. This attempts to emulate the common dramatic trope that You Can't Thwart Stage One. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlej908554evmk7?from=Main.YouCantThwartStageOne
This is the scene where the GM says, "No, you can't use a Force Point yet!"

Most scenes would be Standard Scenes. The first encounter (or first few encounters) with the major villain would be Villain Scenes. The climax and key turning points of the adventure would be Dramatic Scenes.

Thoughts?
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thought: Call it "Introduction Scenes" rather than Villian Scenes.

My personal belief: I wouldn't want to say "you can't use a Force Point now" If the players think of something, use a Force Point and get lucky, then there's a chance they circumvent the whole plot line you had lined out. Good for them! It'll make the GM think more and rely less on plotted out adventures. Yes, this can cause major ulcers in some GMs, but it's good for growth as a GM.

But hey, if this works for you and your group, then go for it!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Grimace... Now i will say that one thing i have picked up from other gms in my con group, is a system of hinting fo when a FP is needed or not.. ergo if say i have a baddie (not known but loves to shoot to maim or cause serious injury not death), and i get a real high dam roll over their soak, i might let them know if they say they are wanting to spend a FP or CP to not worry about it.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, that early on in the adventure the Baddie might have his own set of force points (or easy access to the Dark Side) intact...
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about "Reveal Scenes"?

But, generally, yeah, I can see it could be a problem if Princess Leia had spent a Force Point to blast Vader in the head when she was captured.
However, telling people they can't spend a Force Point doesn't sit too well with me either.

It's an interesting idea though. Please let us know how it works out.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban Spaceman wrote:
How about "Reveal Scenes"?

But, generally, yeah, I can see it could be a problem if Princess Leia had spent a Force Point to blast Vader in the head when she was captured.
However, telling people they can't spend a Force Point doesn't sit too well with me either.

It's an interesting idea though. Please let us know how it works out.

Again, Vader would just dip into the Dark Side and spend a FP too..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Introduction Scenes” is good, but won’t work well after the beginning of the adventure. “Reveal Scenes” could work midway through, but sounds a bit like the denouement rather than something towards the beginning and could also be confused with Cutaway Scenes. I guess I am still looking for a name I like.

Quote:
If the players think of something, use a Force Point and get lucky, then there's a chance they circumvent the whole plot line you had lined out. Good for them! It'll make the GM think more and rely less on plotted out adventures. Yes, this can cause major ulcers in some GMs, but it's good for growth as a GM.

Ah, but is it good for them? Agreed that players often don’t like being told they can’t use a FP. But as others have pointed out, the villains also have FP (and DSPs). Players, in my experience, really hate using one of their few (maybe their only) FP and effectively getting no effect.

As Urban Spaceman pointed out, it’s not very interesting (and hence not good for the players) if at the beginning of A New Hope, Princess Leia spends a FP and kills Lord Vader. Of course as ZzaphodD pointed out, Vader could also use a FP. How does that play out?

Leia’s Player: I spend a FP, grab a blaster from one of the stormtroopers and shoot Lord Vader right in the eye. I roll 49.
GM: Vader spends a FP and uses Absorb Dissipate Energy to absorb your blaster shot. He then Force chokes you unconscious.
Leia’s Player: <sarcastically> Well that was a great use of a FP!

Is Leia’s player better and happier for having spent the FP versus being told by the GM, “this is an “Introduction Reveal Villain Scene” (really need a better name) and your character can’t use a FP here? Maybe, maybe not. Certainly she may wish she had that FP later when she is trying to get the gang out of the Detention Center.

Think of another example, Qui Gon Jinn encounters some guy in a black cloak with a red saber on Tatooine. Would the story have been as interesting if QGJ used a Forcepoint and killed Darth Maul without a cool climactic battle scene?

Obi Wan Kenobi: “Who was that, Master?”
Qui Gon Jinn: “I don’t know, some guy in a black cloak with a red lightsaber. I wonder why he was chasing us? Oh, well, on to Coruscant.”

Note: the scene could also result in a premature battle with Darth Maul and Qui Gonn that would turn out even worse for Qui Gon Jinn’s player who would then be stuck running the Naboo ship pilot in the next scene. Laughing

Personally, both as a player and as a GM, I want the Duel of the Fates music with the double-bladed lightsaber duel. 8)

Quote:
But hey, if this works for you and your group, then go for it!

Haven’t really done this much. But I have one player who definitely prefers this style of play. It really only works well if the players trust that in an Introduction Reveal Villain scene you aren’t going to use the fact that they can’t use a FP to unfairly handicap them. It’s a tricky balance, because they don’t want to have plot immunity, but you are trying to signal that this is not a dramatic time to use the Force.

Would it be better to allow them to use a FP, but not let them regain it if they spend in an Introduction Reveal Villain Scene? (I am assuming they know it is a IRV Scene and thus the loss of the FP is not a surprise.)
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I'm with Grimace... Now i will say that one thing i have picked up from other gms in my con group, is a system of hinting fo when a FP is needed or not.. ergo if say i have a baddie (not known but loves to shoot to maim or cause serious injury not death), and i get a real high dam roll over their soak, i might let them know if they say they are wanting to spend a FP or CP to not worry about it.

Are you saying they should not worry because they are only about to be seriously injured and maimed, but not killed? Confused I'm not quite understanding that.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
“Introduction Scenes” is good, but won’t work well after the beginning of the adventure. “Reveal Scenes” could work midway through, but sounds a bit like the denouement rather than something towards the beginning and could also be confused with Cutaway Scenes. I guess I am still looking for a name I like.

Quote:
If the players think of something, use a Force Point and get lucky, then there's a chance they circumvent the whole plot line you had lined out. Good for them! It'll make the GM think more and rely less on plotted out adventures. Yes, this can cause major ulcers in some GMs, but it's good for growth as a GM.

Ah, but is it good for them? Agreed that players often don’t like being told they can’t use a FP. But as others have pointed out, the villains also have FP (and DSPs). Players, in my experience, really hate using one of their few (maybe their only) FP and effectively getting no effect.

As Urban Spaceman pointed out, it’s not very interesting (and hence not good for the players) if at the beginning of A New Hope, Princess Leia spends a FP and kills Lord Vader. Of course as ZzaphodD pointed out, Vader could also use a FP. How does that play out?)

Part of the problem is you're taking an instance in a movie and trying to present it as an RPG experience. Any movie, if ended the first time the bad guy arrives, would be ruined, not just Star Wars. How would you like to pay to go to a movie, have it all hyped up, and then have it end after 10 minutes of the movie?

But that doesn't apply to an RPG. I still fondly remember some games from years ago where the GM presented the bad guy, one of the players thought of something the GM never planned for and acted on it, and it turned out the bad guy was defeated in 30 seconds. Sure, it makes the GM squirm, but the players will love it! As long as it doesn't happen every time, then it shouldn't be a problem. If anything, it would make the GM be better prepared for that contingent in the future, or any other "game busting" events.

The act of taking a shot, using a FP and having it backfire on the PCs is good for the PCs too. The group meets Darth Vader. One shoots Vader in the eye using a FP. Vader counters, absorbs it and force chokes the PC. Well, I guess the player now knows it's not wise to pop off a shot against the main bad guy when you don't know the full potential of the bad guy and haven't though out a plan.

Sure, taking away the ability to use a FP may inhibit them from taking the action, but there's nothing to stop them from trying something else silly when the bad guy first appears. So let the players make mistakes. They learn from it just the same as GMs will learn from having the players actions end the adventure many sessions early.

Hey, that's a thought...call them "Appearance Scenes"
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Are you saying they should not worry because they are only about to be seriously injured and maimed, but not killed? Confused I'm not quite understanding that.

Many freak out when they might die, but are used to going down to Mortally wounded. Others would like to know if they need to spend valuable cp to save their asses or if it won't be needed..
So for the latter, they ask (or i tell them if they are newbies) so they don't waste any cps.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal, thanks for clarifying. That's very gentlemanly of you as a GM. Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was oe of the things i picked up that the other gms in the group do...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: