The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Coynite Melee weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Coynite Melee weapons Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Well a FP would be worse in a way since then it is 5D+1 doubled + 2D or 12D+2 vs. 10D and the lacquer on the armor isn't really smudged. Rolling Eyes

Ah, but then you have to live with the fact that you lost it forever. Also, Force Points represent really exceptional moments when the force guides the player (or rare NPCs). For FP:s I can live with exceptional circumstances, and usually 'work around' enourmous holes in known (SW) physics somehow (for example holding an exploding thermal in your hand and walking away with your hand still attached to your body). The rareness of the FP allows for 'creative' explanations, where CP spending would become routine.
Quote:

Out of curiousity have you posted your objection to CPs elsewhere. It's off thread for this topic, but I am curious why you don't like 'em.

Im an old 1st ed. 'grognard' and I am used to playing without them. When we started playing 2nd revised just over 10 yrs ago we started with the CP rules but as almost all players also came from the 1st ed days we decided we didnt like the mechanic. Mostly because it most of the time a bit redundant when both PCs and NPCs have CPs to spend. Why not just remove them and save us all some dicerolls..

Quote:
Also, the average Coynite dont have maximum Strength I assume, not even a mercenary. Otherwise hell probably be dumb enough to not even know what a thermal is and catch it..

Sure, by definition average anything is unlikely to have maximum anything (unless the StandDev=0). I was just going for maximal impact Wink (sort of like your TD). [/quote]
Yeah I got that, but I think that TD:s are more common than the strongest percentage of the Coynite population.. Wink
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
garhkal wrote:

As he recognizes it and tosses it back at you.. then insults your mother... 8)

If you screw up the timing, dont blame me.. Laughing

In a home game one of the 'funniest deaths for a pc' i had, was when a player saw one being thrown their way and wanted to play baseball using his rifle..... I set the diff on a dex check, then a melee check, and finally a strength check (to see how far it would go).. he made the first (the dex to see if he could hit), flubbed the melee (for actual controlled contact), and got all 1's for the strength roll... so i had it go off in his face! Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
Well the rules aren't designed to simulate reality. But I agree a no effect or even just a stun from being at ground zero for a thermodetonator is perverse and my players know not to expect that to occur if I were the GM. The person who plays a Coynite in my campaign remarked on the fact that according to the rules as written normal grenades 5D vs character STR 5D, armor 1D or 2D implies the Coynite probably does not need to duck. That is an unpalatable result, so we just assume if you don't bother to dive for cover then double the damage. Now 10D = 20D and problem solved for Coynites and probably Rancors too. Smile

That is an interesting rule. I have also seen one gm who played it where if you opt NOT to dodge (cause you metagame the damage) the damage is MAX... EG a thermal detonator WILL do 59 points of damage to you if you don't dodge.. regardless of your blast radius!
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

In a home game one of the 'funniest deaths for a pc' i had, was when a player saw one being thrown their way and wanted to play baseball using his rifle..... I set the diff on a dex check, then a melee check, and finally a strength check (to see how far it would go).. he made the first (the dex to see if he could hit), flubbed the melee (for actual controlled contact), and got all 1's for the strength roll... so i had it go off in his face! Evil or Very Mad

I would, when the player managed to connect with the thermal, remind the player that baradium is highly unstable and knocking them about is normally not a good idea. Please roll a 'luck die' (a random mechanic I use quite frequently)..on a 1 it detonates in your face, on a 2 it detonates 1D6 meters away. Twisted Evil
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal:
Quote:
That is an interesting rule. I have also seen one gm who played it where if you opt NOT to dodge (cause you metagame the damage) the damage is MAX... EG a thermal detonator WILL do 59 points of damage to you if you don't dodge.. regardless of your blast radius!

Pretty much the same effect and the same reasoning.

The only way I can maybe see a character surviving ground zero TD unscathed is if they are in some sort of uber armor. Then I can see the cloud of smoke clearing as they stride forward. But I also see them being NPCs that are after the players Twisted Evil
Tusk BloodFlail
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I have never been a fan of the "max" damage rule and our group doesn't use it, and we've never had a problem with it. Energy weapons don't have max damage. If someone is playing a Wookiee with a 6D strength I feel that the character is more dangerous if he has a Vibroblade (Max: 6D) but according to the rules that character is no more dangerous than if he didn't have one Shocked

If you saw a bear wielding a sword would you say "actually he's no more dangerous than that bear" pointing to the bear without the sword Razz

We do however have a weapon break rule. If you are rolling more dice than the "Maximum" and you roll a 1 on the wild die you will generally break that weapon, that also applies if you are adding character points too. We also have rules for modifying the "Max" of a weapon as will.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: