The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New melee attack maneuver..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> New melee attack maneuver..
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: New melee attack maneuver.. Reply with quote

I have been thinking about somethig. You can opt to go all out for defense, but nothing has been wrote (that i know of) for doing an all out attack..

So with that in mind, i offer the following 2 rules.

1) Weapon breakage. When using melee weapons, a person can opt to go beyond the weapons max damage, but with a price. It may break. If when he does go beyond it, the damage roll is above the max potential of the weapon, any excess is applied as damage. EG grub is using a vibro axe with a 7d+2 max damage rating. He has called a FP to try and take down this critter he is fighting, and seeing it shrug off his 2 prior smacks, decides to go full bore. His damage on the fp is now 9d+2, 2 full dice over the max. WHen he rolls he gets a whapping 55. The max damage value is (7 x 6 = 42 +2 =44), so his weapon takes 11 points of damage, which makes it heavily damaged.

2) All out attack. When a person wishes he can make an all out attack. During this round, he can do no other action, even dodging or other reactions. He also goes last in the round. When making the all out attack, if he succeeds in hitting, he does DOUBLE the weapon's damage, so a str+2d+2 weapon goes to Str+4d+4.. This can take it above the weapons normal max damage.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think #2 would make more sense if the strength was doubled or, perhaps x1.5 rather than doubling the weapon bonus. Going all out with the attack means that you're using more of your muscle power, it doesn't represent a change in the nature of the weapon itself.
You might also consider an increase in the difficulty of the attack, since you're probably sacrificing an ability to aim for a more powerful swing.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was initially thinking abou that, when i reminded myself, that can already be simulated with a FP.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That can be simulated with a FP... but, FPs are expensive. I know I never take the choice to use a FP casually, it takes a lot of consideration.
As such, I would be inclined to go with 1.5x Str rather than a 2x; which retains the FP's status as a powerful fallback
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny how people regard Force Points differently. Garkhal's statement seem to imply that he and his group are in the habit of using Force Points often. Certainly not as often as Character Points, but it doesn't sound like a rare think. On the other hand, in over 10 years of gaming with my group I believe a total of 3 Force Points were used among us. We just see it as a very valuable thing, that can only be spend in that one precise situation, and it probably won't come back for a long time.

Not saying who's right, just pointing out the amusing difference.

Last edited by Gry Sarth on Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think in the decade I've been playing I've seen... 5 FPs used. (2 of which were by me about 2 months ago... and the character still died)

It's the difficulty in regaining them that makes them such a prize... if poorly used, you leave yourself at a potential liability later in a game if the need should arise. But, again that's all dependent upon GM and game style.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That can be simulated with a FP... but, FPs are expensive. I know I never take the choice to use a FP casually, it takes a lot of consideration.
As such, I would be inclined to go with 1.5x Str rather than a 2x; which retains the FP's status as a powerful fallback

Interesting point. But how would that work for someone with odd die?> Eg 3d? Would they get +1d+1? +1d+2??

Quote:
statement seem to imply that he and his group are in the habit of using Force Points often. Certainly not as often as Character Points, but it doesn't sound like a rare think.

Unfortunatly, that is the case. Even with some gms (like me) starting to get stricter on what warrents getting a spent force point back, we have plenty of characters roaming around with 8-12 of them...
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:

Interesting point. But how would that work for someone with odd die?> Eg 3d? Would they get +1d+1? +1d+2??

General rule of thumb is to round down; so, +1D+1.

You could also condsider, perhaps, adding the weapon's difficulty to the damage (like with a full dodge). With most melee weapons, that's not much, like a +5 or something, but could be quite formidible with some.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that latter possibility..
Liam (Gunman) Kissane
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about using the weapon breakage rule with opposed melee rolls. Example: Opposed roll Vibro-ax vs Vibro-blade.

Grub uses his Vibro-ax to attack rolling 42
Iberon uses Vibro-blade to block rolling 43

Grub's Vibro-ax is fine but Iberon's Vibro-blade takes 6 points damage (attack is above max damage of Vibro-blade by 6 pts).
Either that or any time a melee weapon would recieve dmg, it breaks on a "luck roll" of 1.

(I use a 1d6 "luck roll" sometimes in my games when things could easily go one way or another, my players seem to like the idea, it keeps them guessing as much as it keeps me on my toes)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it has been a long time since anyone made any comments to this thread...

What are the new folks' thoughts on it?
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really like that rule 1. I think breakage should happen when you fail or fumble an attack. Not cause you hit harder. Unless you are attacking with your fist...

The difference between weapons (considering both type and quality) is not taken into account.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought it would make a lot sense to have the option of an all-out attack in logical counterpart to the all-out defense. Not doing anything else and going last seems a fair price to me. So that's a "yes" from me on that count.

However, I'm already using other houserules allowing for increased damage on attacks. For the All-Out Attack I'd personally go the exact opposite route from the proposal and grant a bonus to the to-hit roll, not damage.

I also think that x2 is not that bad for the multiplier, whatever you choose to multiply, damage or to-hit dice. Yes, an FP does that, but an FP doubles both at once, so it's still more powerfull.

Breaking melee weapons... The initial idea doesn't look bad. Beyond that, I don't really have an idea. But if I did, it would have to somehow involve the weapons' relative size (mass) and wielders' strength, and probably fumbling. But generally that's a can of worms I don't feel like opening right now, sorry.
- Tom Lehrer
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe give free offensive actions in an all out attack?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: