The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ships over weight capacity
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Ships over weight capacity Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course.

The 30,000 credits is a final sum.

It breaks down to steps:
Step 1: 5x1200 = 6000
Step 2: 5x1400 = 7000
Step 3: 5x1600 = 8000
Step 4: 5x1800 = 9000

Total: 30,000
Now, 30,000 credits for an extra 80 tons isn't cheap, but it's not ridiculously expensive. If you take in to account the thought that players might increase hull codes also, these prices would go up some. Besides, the likely occurrence is that these mods will be used to offset other modifications. Like a heavy auxiliary generator. (20 metric tons) So to get the generator without cutting into your base hauling capacity, it's 16,000 credits. Or, imagine if a player gets contracted to do a job that calls for just a little bit more than he can carry. Next thing you know, he's bargained to get paid half and half, then he's got the first half going to getting his ship able to carry the job, you end up not paying him the full sum, but he gets a modification out of it.

Thanks Hellcat, I hadn't forgotten that, it was more along the lines of adding weapons to a defenseless ship.

Besides, the ship I'm working with is almost as long as a small bulk transport ship, a pity that it's sized that way, but not able to carry more than a YT-1300.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
For a ship with 5D hull 100 tons, that's 30,000 credits to get it up to 180 ton capacity, I don't know about you, but I've never had 30,000 credits just sitting around on a character at any given time.

Anyway, for a first upgrade, I don't think it should be completely ridiculous in cost. And, even at 180 ton cargo capacity falls quite a bit short of most bulk and medium transports, the smallest having 350 ton capacity, just under twice as much, most of them having 10,000+ I don't see a problem with this.

Over the years i have had around 18 characters with 50+k in cash to spend at any one time. Heck one had over 600k after selling the durindifire gems in a pair of lightsabers i nabbed from dead jedi (we were too late to save them and they were dead)... So that is not a problem to almost triple the weight a ship can carry there... Which is why i agree. However, if it was say (hull) x (new max tonnage) x 200 credits, i MIGHT be for it.

Quote:
Now, 30,000 credits for an extra 80 tons isn't cheap, but it's not ridiculously expensive

How can you say that. 30 k is the same price as buying a darn new ship.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My jedi/pilot has 0 credits. Ofc she could sell her lightsaber and the clothes she wear...I don't see that kind of money comming my way...ever.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Jedi is also broke.

I've been playing for 10+ years and I've never had someone with that sitting around. Usually because any cash taken in gets split with the group. And my game masters are usually not so giving as to let me have that much cash laying around.

Quote:
So that is not a problem to almost triple the weight a ship can carry there...

Unfortunately, it maxes out at 4 upgrades, making it +80 metric tons.

Quote:

A new used ship

The way you suggested it, the first upgrade comes out to cost 120,000 credits... for that, you could buy a brand new ship... So for +80 metric tons of capacity using your hull x new max tonnage x 200 credits comes out to cost 600,000 credits... which... someone could buy a used capital ship for that, making the upgrade a moot point.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebuilding a ship so that it can carry almost double the cargo capacity, while still being spaceworthy sounds like a steal for 30K. Of course it should be cheaper to buy a new used ship instead of completely rework the existing one..
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is only upping maximum weight, not cargo bay size.

Not to mention, this is an engine modification, so if you change out an engine for a faster one, then you have to drop the cash again to upgrade thrust capability.

These are just basic guidelines, they may need to be tweaked for power games where players are having tons of cash like with garhkal, or even toned down even more for poor Jedi like Random Numbers and myself.

I don't see the point in cash blocking players at every turn, when you don't it makes them more attached to their equipment and ships the more time and energy that they spend modifying and upgrading. When ships get impounded, players will want to go and reclaim them. (More story hooks.) Weapons are confiscated? Go get it back! Why? Because it's theirs...

Quote:
Of course it should be cheaper to buy a new used ship instead of completely rework the existing one..

Why? What's the rationale here?
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
This is only upping maximum weight, not cargo bay size.

Not to mention, this is an engine modification, so if you change out an engine for a faster one, then you have to drop the cash again to upgrade thrust capability.

These are just basic guidelines, they may need to be tweaked for power games where players are having tons of cash like with garhkal, or even toned down even more for poor Jedi like Random Numbers and myself.

I don't see the point in cash blocking players at every turn, when you don't it makes them more attached to their equipment and ships the more time and energy that they spend modifying and upgrading. When ships get impounded, players will want to go and reclaim them. (More story hooks.) Weapons are confiscated? Go get it back! Why? Because it's theirs...

Quote:
Of course it should be cheaper to buy a new used ship instead of completely rework the existing one..

Why? What's the rationale here?

Well, that would still mean upgrading hull strength, repulsorlift engines, probably ion engines and so forth, just to keep the hunk of junk stay together and not falling down..
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't think someone can buy a new ship for 30K. A used ship, sure. But not a new ship.

I think that a table like the one they use to modify ship systems, might be better. Something like:

Cargo Increase/Difficulty (Cost)
+10%/Easy (5%)
+20%/Moderate (10%)
+30%/Difficult (15%)
+40%/Very Difficult (20%)
+50%/Heroic (25%)

On a real world note, I know that people have cut old freighter ships in half, and installed a midsection to increase cargo capacity. Something like that probably could be done in the game, but should mean selling off some space and Hull pips. Maybe using the R&E modfication charts as a guide, and give a cargo increase equal to the cost.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had also considered using a percentage scale for cost, not sure about doing it for increases also. If i were going to percentage increases, It'd be +20%, +30%, +40%, +50%, +60% With costs ranging from 5-10% to 30%. Which still at least for my ship, costs about the same, with only a slight reduction in overall capacity. 160 tons instead of 180.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Quote:

I don't think someone can buy a new ship for 30K. A used ship, sure. But not a new ship.

I think that a table like the one they use to modify ship systems, might be better. Something like:

Cargo Increase/Difficulty (Cost)
+10%/Easy (5%)
+20%/Moderate (10%)
+30%/Difficult (15%)
+40%/Very Difficult (20%)
+50%/Heroic (25%)

On a real world note, I know that people have cut old freighter ships in half, and installed a midsection to increase cargo capacity. Something like that probably could be done in the game, but should mean selling off some space and Hull pips. Maybe using the R&E modfication charts as a guide, and give a cargo increase equal to the cost.

I think its to cheap still, but the idea is a good one. An expensive ship should be more expensive to upgrade (engines, hull strength, power systems etc).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: