The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starfighter Proton Torpedo Barrages
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Starfighter Proton Torpedo Barrages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Starfighter Proton Torpedo Barrages Reply with quote

In the X-Wing books one pilot can send his targetting data to another pilot or the entire squadron to do a barrage attack against a capital ship. The only circumstance in which 'the barrage' could be used is if there were no fighters harrassing the squadron, so the enemy fighters whould have to be eliminated or otherwise occupied. Consequently it won't be a common tactic, but two of my players have read the x-wing novels and are looking forward to using the tactic in a cap ship battle.

I see this as something different then a combined action, rather, it is a specific, advanced tactic. One fighter targets the capital ship, flying in close and feeding their telemetry to the other squadron pilots who are roughly equidistant from the cap ship, they fire simultaneously and feed the first pilot's telemetry to their torpedos through their astromechs. If everything goes right 8-12 proton torpedoes will hit the capital ship in the same place in the same round.

I think this should cause massive damage, more then a combined action roll, and I'd like to know how you would calculate that damage roll.

Thank you in advance.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't make it too good. Or else the tactic would make capital ships obsolete (whener you can relaibly destroy a big, expensive craft with smaller, less expensive craft, people stop making the big craft).

To me, it sounds exactly like a combined action, but one that is assisted by the astromechs for a bigger bonus.

But then I use the older (and higher) combined fire rules from 2E instead of the nerfed rules from 2R&E, so the combined fire bonus would be higher.

So if 6 fighters are worth a +5 bonus in 2R&E, then adding in the droids could double that to a +10 bonus.

For 2E that would be a +3D bonus for 6 fighters, increased to +4D with the astromechs.

Notes that firing both protons at once, would also increase the damage.

At least that is how I would run it.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The example for combined actions given in the Revised and Expanded rulebook has one trooper making one shot and getting the entire bonus.

The barrage I'm talking about is one pilot aiming and 10-12 pilots shooting. The other pilots in the squadron would effectively be flying in formation in the middle of combat, which is practically impossible in a dogfight. Albeit, it's a loose formation, but still all but impossible in a dogfight. Which is why the tactic would be used rarely in combat, though probably a common tactic against ground facilities for bombing runs, which is why it would be practiced.

I like the idea of adding in the astromechs to the combined action total. For twelve starfighters that would be a bonus of 8D damage, added to 9D torpedoes is 17D which is significant, but not really representative of 11-12 torpedoes worth of damage.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
I like the idea of adding in the astromechs to the combined action total. For twelve starfighters that would be a bonus of 8D damage, added to 9D torpedoes is 17D which is significant, but not really representative of 11-12 torpedoes worth of damage.

What makes you think that it wouldn't really be representative of a dozen torps? Not enough?

They way d6 tends to add things, and the damage tables work on an idea that a doubling is about +1D. That is why the linked weapons do +1D or +2D damage.

The thing with scaling here is that the proton torps are relatively small in comparison to the Star Destroyer. And 17D would be enough to have an excellent chance of doing serious damage--especially since ray shielding doesn't apply, and the SD would just be rolling 13D Hull. So an average roll would beat the SD by 14, and severely damage it. A slightly above average hit (+16 or more) would destroy an ISD. That's not bad for one volley from a half dozen fighters. In fact, it is probably good enough to make the ISD obsolete the same way the Battleship is on Earth, but let's not worry about that right now.

And the X-Wings can always fire a second or third volley.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought ISD's had ray and particle shields. Hmm, more research must be done.

Your post made me looking things over, and your right, damage is generally grown by 1D maybe 2D per weapon added.

I have test rolling to do and no time to do it in.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
I thought ISD's had ray and particle shields. Hmm, more research must be done.

They do. But in D6 the particle shields are already assumed in the Hull Code. A ship that has lowered it's particle shields has a reduced Hull Code (-2D or half, which ever is less). So the 3D (9D) ray shields are no help.

Kytross wrote:

I have test rolling to do and no time to do it in.

Or you could run an adventure with the characters practicing the maneuver in a simulator and test it that way. That way you get to see how it works under combat conditions without risking any of the PCs.

Then, after you see how it works normally, you can make whatever changes you feel are necessary-and blame the discrepancy on poor simulator programming. Smile

Maybe the test program was a rush job? Wink
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good. I might use that.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
That's good. I might use that.

In another RPG with Star in the title, I used to run a fair number of adventures through a form of simulator. It was a good way for me to test tweaks and rule changes before deciding if I wanted to implement them. It gives the GM a nice "out" should something go horribly wrong, and you don't have to worry about the possibility of a a bad rule idea killing off a PC. And if you try something that goes too far in the other direction, you don't have to worry about the players adopting it as a standard tactic, as it wouldn't work that way "in real life".

It saved me from one or two errors that would otherwise have been very bad for the campaign.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what command rolls are for, combining fire..

Though i would love to see an actual rule for what corran did by having the y wings (first book) lok onto HIM while he flew at the Lancer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: