The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Calculating Hyper Space travel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Calculating Hyper Space travel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draylo Star
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Calculating Hyper Space travel Reply with quote

I have a ship traveling from Naboo which is in grid coordinants O-17 and I want to travel to The Void Staytion which is in grid coordinant R-14 how do I figure out how long it takes?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have several options, depending on ho far you want to take it.

One method: simply pick some value.

Another method: use the table in the core rule book to generate a value based upon what region they are in and so on.

Yet Another, much more complex method: find out the scale of the map you are using, determine the distance, and divide by something like 11000 (the speed of a x1 hyperdrive in light years per hour, if I remember correctly) to get the base time. Multiply the base time by the Hyperdrive multiplier of the ship in question to get the adjusted time. The modify this a bit up or down to account for the complexity of the hyperspace route, and the fact that you are dealing with 3D travel using a 2D map.
Draylo Star
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Im kinda confused by the map Im not sure how to read the what a pixel is for distance

here is the link

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/1456/gmapnewujca8.jpg
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
The power of myth! By which I mean just play it by ear; hyperspace should really operate at the speed of plot.

Alternatively, you can use the closest approximation of the route based on the existing hyperspace tables, and assume that at the least, they use some of that route for the journey; add or subtract some time as necessary.

Personally I've never really had the need to nail down a consistent calculation of travel time in my games; it's important, but far less important than just building a story.

I also request that you post only one thread per topic, rather than asking the same question in multiple forums... having two or three threads asking the same question is a little confusing.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Draylo Star
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry bout that I cant figure out what formums to post questions in that all will see it cause I have differnt people posting in both these questions

I figured a Mod would just tell me and then block one if it was that big a problem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: