The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Armor actually stopping damage?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Armor actually stopping damage?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Armor actually stopping damage? Reply with quote

Has anyone used or seen a system where armor actually stopped the damage and was not just a bonus to the characters STR?

The idea came from when I read this looking for amor variants as equipment: "Armor was a protective covering worn mainly by militants. Some examples of armor are Mandalorian armor, Sith battle armor, and light battle suits. Most armor would stop a standard blaster bolt, although only advanced, heavy battle armor could withstand a heavy cannon bolt. Specialized weapons (called disruptors) could punch through armor. "
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Armor

By the description it does not seem to include blast vests and the like, but seems to mean Bounty Hunter armor and similar armors.

A 'standard' blaster bolt I assume to be at least a Blaster Pistol at 4D damage. So a 'standard' Bounty Hunter Armor should then have a 4D armor rating?

A couple of ideas I have...
I was thinking of rolling the 'Armor Dice' in a different color at the same time you roll STR. If the result of the Damage Dice is higher than the Armor Dice the attack penetrates. Resisting damage is then done through STR Dice plus Half the result of the Armor Dice. This way theres no additional dice rolling.

Another idea is to keep the basic mechanics as is, just roll Armor Dice in a separate colour. If the total Damage is not higher than Armor Dice x2 the weapon does not penetrate the armor. If Armor Dice is below this, work things out as per the original rules.
This would mean increasing Bonty Hunter armor protective rating to 2D though (which is not a problem in itself). Just bump up the price and make it a bit more exclusive (which I tend to do anyway).
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Legend d6 system (Herc& Xena) did use an armor point system, but it also used wound points instead of STR rolls. It also had a nice feature in that the margin of success for an attack added to the damage.

Considering that in Star Wars, armor dice are added to STR, you might just assume an average person has 2D STR and that something that would stop a 4D blaster bolt is +2D.

Or,
You could treat armor as cover. Give it a STR rating and use cover table to determine how much damage gets through the armor. You'd probably want to up most armors 2D or so to account for the lost STR dice.
The drawback to this would be that it would add another roll to the combat system, but it would work.

Yet another method (used in a d6 related system, EABA) would be to have armor dice subtract from the damage dice before rolling. So a blast vest worth +1D would take one die off the damage of a blaster (pistol would do 3D, rifle 4D, and so on).
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
The Legend d6 system (Herc& Xena) did use an armor point system, but it also used wound points instead of STR rolls. It also had a nice feature in that the margin of success for an attack added to the damage.

Considering that in Star Wars, armor dice are added to STR, you might just assume an average person has 2D STR and that something that would stop a 4D blaster bolt is +2D.

Or,
You could treat armor as cover. Give it a STR rating and use cover table to determine how much damage gets through the armor. You'd probably want to up most armors 2D or so to account for the lost STR dice.
The drawback to this would be that it would add another roll to the combat system, but it would work.

Yet another method (used in a d6 related system, EABA) would be to have armor dice subtract from the damage dice before rolling. So a blast vest worth +1D would take one die off the damage of a blaster (pistol would do 3D, rifle 4D, and so on).

I add 1 to the damage roll for each +5 over the target number of the attack.

With my second idea above, a +2D Bounty Hunter armour will stop a 4D blaster about 50%. Still not a good protection, but still something.

BTW, Im not very keen on the 'normal humans have all stats at 2D' idea. I tend to give 'normal' humans 15D in attributes, making a 'normal' stat 2D-3D. But with my (second) idea above that does not matter regarding the amour penetration question.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberpunk and Shadowrun if I'm not mistaken reduce damage taken, and certain weaponry if it hits certain armors, is nulled.
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armor subtracting die from damage would be the easiest mechanics wise.

how does everyone do armor, do they use hit locations? if so i have a hit location method that i used in sw and cyberpunk, exactly the same way in both systems...statistical hit probabilities are in brackets next to hit locations []

roll 2d

2-head [1 in 36]
3-lower left leg[2 in 36]
4- left arm[3 in 36]
5-upper left leg [4 in 36]
6,7,8-torso [16 in 36]
9-upper right leg [4 in 36]
10- right arm [3 in 36]
11-lower right leg [2 in 36]
12-equipment hit (normally what is in the character's hands) [ 1 in 36]

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand what the issues with the standard armour roll is, really... Doesn't taking no damage indicate that the hit doesn't penetrate? Doesn't the increase in soak dice represent the protection that the armour provides?

wrote:
armor subtracting die from damage would be the easiest mechanics wise.

This is exactly what the standard rule does; rather than subtracting from damage, it adds to the resist; functionally identical mechanics.

If you want to use armour as a barrier (as it kind of seems in your OP), it will require restatting every armour out there, and I do suggest that you use one mechanic for all armour types rather than different rules to cover heavy and light armours... ya know for simplicity and streamlining (As I've mentioned in previous threads concerning new rules, the general problem with most house rule creation is losing simplicity and streamlining that is the hallmark of D6; most new rules make things more complex rather than streamlined).

If it's really important to make armour a barrier to damage rather than using the established bonuses, you've basically got to re-stat armour to have a body strength rating, like other items... essentially a "Hull" rating. For anything other than full armour, using a hit location every time an armoured character is hit will be important to determine whether it's hit or not. When armour is hit, damage is rolled against the armour's body rating rather than the character's strength. From there you just use the armour damage table to determine the effects. If the armour takes enough damage to result in a kill, it's destroyed and no longer offers protection. This will require a bit of accounting and probably more efforts in armour repair... but at the same time, I suppose that'll make the Armour Repair skill more useful Razz

From what I've read and seen in the films, armour isn't really designed to stop a weapon from hurting you at all, but more to give a greater chance of surviving... and as we can clearly see from Storm/ARC-troopers (who had some of the best armour available) it certainly didn't help for more than a couple hits. You'll have to design your armour ratings accordingly.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I like the armor ratings the way they are. Remember that armor is right against you- not held out away like a shield. While an attack may not penetrate the armor it can still damage you with the force of the blow.

I don't think you can really make armor more realistic. IMHO it is realistic as it is.

This is all opinion and such, of course. If you want to change it, do so, but you need to report back after game testing (if it works better for you, it most certainly will for others).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with Jmanski.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
I'm not sure I understand what the issues with the standard armour roll is, really... Doesn't taking no damage indicate that the hit doesn't penetrate? Doesn't the increase in soak dice represent the protection that the armour provides?.

Yes, and No.

Some systems rely more on the characters 'damage soak' stat to reduce damage than the actual armour. In SW its STR, another example is WFRP 1st ed. where its the Toughness stat(somewhat changed in 2nd ed due to higher armor values). The being behind the armour does most of the resisting, even though armour adds some resistance. Sure, when your hit by a bullet wearing a bullet proff vest you will take some bruising, but its still the vest that does the resisting.

This tends to make low STR characters very susceptible to damage even when 'armoured up' which results in most players raising their STR stats (And frankly, as a GM id recommend it even though it does not 'fit the profile'). Dead characters are seldom fun...

Example: A STR 2D character in Bounty Hunter Armor rolls 3D to resist a blaster shot from a carbine. A STR 4D character rolls 5D. Clearly one can see that the armor is the least important part here. A hit that have about 50% of stunning or wounding the 'tough guy' will on average always wound and about 50% chance of incapacitating the 'normal guy'. Sure, tough characters should have some advantage, but IMO the advantage is to big.

One should not forget that the 'normal guy' also has a higher risk of rolling a very low 'fluke' STR+Armor roll due to the low number of dice rolled.

The idea to have a simple system where armour has a chance to stop the damage before it reaches the character is a way to even the field so to speak. Sure, the 'tough guy' benefits from this too, but when you roll high on the armour dice hes probably safe anyway. The key word is 'simple' as you dont want to 'spoil' the simplicity of the SW D6 system. I also do not want to move away from the basic D6 damage mechanics. As the basic mechanic is still in place theres still a good advantage to have i high STR, its just that in some cases the 'normal' guy gets a break too.

Again, the trick is to keep the basic rule mechanic, keeping it simple and fun. Still working on it....
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tend to agree with the others that anything that you come up with to encompass this is basically equating to the same effect as what currently exists.

As an alternative, albiet with the same base effects, you could do the following.

When it, roll damage vs. armor rating only. If Armor is greater than damage, no effect on target. If Damage is greater than armor, take the amount the damage is greater than and carry over that number against the Resistance roll of the character. (example: Character with 3D body and 2D armor gets hit with 5D damage. Damage roll is 14. Armor of 2D is rolled and result is 8. Since damage is greater than the armor, the damage will get through, but only the difference. So 6 damage get's through hitting the person. Now the character rolls 3D to resist 6 damage. Roll of resistance is 13, so no damage is done to the person.

That's one way. It adds yet another roll in to give the feel of armor being seperate, but it basically works the same way as rolling the armor and body together.

Another way is to convert the armor ratings to a static number. So 2D armor is converted to a static value. Put it high, like at 12 to start. So it's assumed that the armor resists at a 12 automatically. If the damage exceeds the resistance of the armor, then the character has to roll against the amount the damage exceeded the armor...just like in the above example. Additionally, the armor is "degraded" by being penetrated, so it's rating drops a point. So instead of 12 it's now 11. If the damage doesn't penetrate, the armor rating stays at 12 and there's no effect on the character.

This has the effect of possibly eliminating a roll. If the damage isn't enough to exceed the armor points, there's no need for the character to roll to resist the damage.

Hopefully that gives you something like what you're looking for.
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grimace's post sounds like how cyberpunk handles armor. BEWARE if you make armor too powerful, you will end up with Kevlar monsters wandering around...

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobenhotep wrote:
grimace's post sounds like how cyberpunk handles armor. BEWARE if you make armor too powerful, you will end up with Kevlar monsters wandering around...

That is precisely why SW uses the damage roll. The typical hero is Star Wars doesn't wear much for armor, and with a 3D STR is usually only taking a wound on a hit. Putting on a +1D vest makes a wound about a 50-50 chance.

But if armor stops damage points, then armor becomes a lot more important, and everybody will end up wearing it.

But, if one is going to up damage +1 per 5 points, it might make sense to up the armor ratings a pip to let them soak a little more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: