The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ship Modifications Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Ship Modifications Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Ship Modifications Rules Reply with quote

Wasn't sure where to put this. They have in the Tramp freighters guide some rules for modifying ships after market. In Gry's equipment guide there are some costs for new hyperdrives and such like that. Does anyone know where I can find some R&E rules for modifying things such as maneuverability, besides the rules they have in attributes and skills. I was wondering more for costs for buying straight up maneuvering jets and maybe some more choice in weaponry and whatnot. Anyway, if it's in one of the many pdf books that you have, or another actual book, I have quite a collection. Thanks for the help in advance Smile
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ship Modifications Rules Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Wasn't sure where to put this. They have in the Tramp freighters guide some rules for modifying ships after market. In Gry's equipment guide there are some costs for new hyperdrives and such like that. Does anyone know where I can find some R&E rules for modifying things such as maneuverability, besides the rules they have in attributes and skills. I was wondering more for costs for buying straight up maneuvering jets and maybe some more choice in weaponry and whatnot. Anyway, if it's in one of the many pdf books that you have, or another actual book, I have quite a collection. Thanks for the help in advance Smile

There are two starship stats you cannot buy replacements for according to the standard rules: Hull and Manueverability. Those two stats can only be improved 1D+2 above "stock" (unless you house rule something.)

As for the options of manuever jets and weaponry, if it's not in Gry's books, it wasn't published. That doesn't mean you can't house-rule your own stuff, but you're not going to find many starship weapon because they simply aren't there.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I'll have to think on it some more. Talk it over with the GM.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craken'S Field Guide had something for jury-rigging Maneuverability up by as much as 3D, with a (too high) chance of it breaking down.

It was for first edition, so some of the rules probably should be tweaked for 2nd edition.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some research, I think what I'm going to do is apply the rules from Tramp freighters guide and update them a little bit. In regular 2nd Ed they used die codes for ion drive speed. Things like that will just need to be brought up to speed, might make some of the modifications cost a little bit more as well. Just for the sake of fairness, make a cheap way of doing it, it just has a larger chance to flub up, like the jury rigging rules in Cracken's.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
After some research, I think what I'm going to do is apply the rules from Tramp freighters guide and update them a little bit. In regular 2nd Ed they used die codes for ion drive speed. Things like that will just need to be brought up to speed, might make some of the modifications cost a little bit more as well. Just for the sake of fairness, make a cheap way of doing it, it just has a larger chance to flub up, like the jury rigging rules in Cracken's.

Raven,

There was a revised version for Galaxy Guide:6 Tramp Freighter, and I thing it was compatible with 2nd edition. I got both version, and If you want I can check to see what the differences were and how they adapted it to 2nd Edition. At the least I should be able to give you the Space ratings for the engines.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really appreciate that.
I think the one I have is old 2nd, but I'm not sure.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I'd really appreciate that.
I think the one I have is old 2nd, but I'm not sure.

Okay, I'll go through them. The way to tell which version you have is by the color. If it has a picture taking up the full page, it's the original edition, and if it has a solid cover with a picture in the center (like the 2nd edition rule book), its the 2nd edition version with updated data.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a large picture taking up most of the page. Star scape background, and the bottom has a blue box saying free-traders in the star wars universe.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
It has a large picture taking up most of the page. Star scape background, and the bottom has a blue box saying free-traders in the star wars universe.

Yeah, that the original version, written for First Edition. The revised one has a brown cover with the same picture is a small box in the center of the page. Now onto the differences:

REPAIRS
Okay, here is the easy part. The repair rules are the same as in the Second Edition rulebook.

MODIFICATIONS
This section got a major overhaul in the revision. Overall, the way it works now is similar to the repair rules. Each modification has a benefit, listed difficulty, cost and a mishap modifier. The first two are easy to understand, the cost is based on the original cost of the ship—modifications can get very expensive! The mishap modifier indicates how prone the system is to break down, as a result of the modification. When the wild die comes up a 1, and the GM wishes to run a complication, he rolls 1D and adds the mishap modifier and checks the results on the chart below.

Die Roll Result
1-2 Minor Mishap
3-4 Moderate Mishap
5-6 Catastrophic Mishap

Note: that a roll of “1” is always a minor mishap regardless of the modifiers.

Each system had a set of mishap charts based by severity. I can type them up if you really think you want them, but for the most part, it might be better just to wing it.

Minor mishaps usually mean that the system works, but not as well as it should, or that it messes something else up, like shorting out communications for a few rounds.
Moderate Mishaps are like minor ones but more serious or longer lasting, typically applying the penalty until the system is repaired..
Catastrophic mishaps tend to mean that the system fails and needs to be repaired. Note that while the term “catastrophic” is used, none of them result in the ship going up in a big fireball. Typically this can be things like a partial failure of a system, hull breach, drive cuts out on/during landing or similar dangerous-annoying situation.

Suggested Time to Make A Modification

Difficulty Time
VE 1 hr
E 6 hrs
M 1 day
D 2 days
VD 1 week
H 1 month

Modifications

Sublight Drives

Space Difficulty Cost Mishap
+1 M +10% +1
+2 D +15% +1
+3 VD +25% +2
+4* H +35% +3
*Max limit

Hyperdrives

Old/New Difficulty Cost Mishap
x4/x3 (or more) E +10% +1
x3/x2 M +15% +1
x2/x1 VD +25% +2
x1/x 1/2* H +35% +3
+4*
*Max limit

Maneuverability

Maneuverability Difficulty Cost Mishap
+1 E +05% +1
+2 M +10% +1
+3 (+1D) D +15% +1
+4 (+1D+1) VD +20% +2
+5* (+1D+2) H +25% +3
*Max limit

Hull

Hull Difficulty Cost Mishap
+1 M +10% +1
+2 D +15% +1
+3 (+1D) VD +20% +2
+4* (+1D+1) H +25% +3

*Max limit

Weaponry

Damage Difficulty Cost Mishap
+1 E +15% +1
+2 M +25% +1
+3 (+1D) D +30% +2
+4 (+1D+1) VD +35% +2
+5* (+1D+2) H +50% +3
*Max limit

REPLACEMENT SYSTEMS

Ion Engines
The 7D and 1D ion drives are not in the revised book. While I suppose the 1D drive (SPACE 2) could be available for those who want it, I think the 7D ion drive was removed to reflect that 6D (SPACE 12) is pretty much the upper limit/cutting edge for ion drives through the Rebellion Era.
All the drives now have names, to go with the speed codes, and availability codes to reflect that some drives are military issue or restricted. Costs and mass requirements are the same.

6D= Space 12, Availability X (double difficulty to modify, double modifiers for mishap)
5D= Space 10, Availability X (double difficulty to modify, double modifiers for mishap)
4D= Space 8, Availability F (double difficulty to modify, double all modifiers beyond+1 for mishap)
3D= Space 6, Availability F (double difficulty to modify, double all modifiers beyond+1 for mishap)
2D= Space 4, Availability 2

Hyperdrives
These are about the same as in the old book, save that x ½ hyperdrives are even rarer and more expensive that before. Hyperdrives now have availability codes, and a a special note or two on each model.

x ½ : Very Rarer. Stolen models can cost up to 90,000 credits. Cost 15,000 to install, with a typical installing running from 50-90K. This is illegal.

x1: Availability: F. +1 difficulty to install on a non-Sorosub vessel (sample drive is a Sorosub drive)

x2: Availability: 2 +1D bonus to install.

X3: Availability: 2

x4: Availability: 1

x5Availaibility: 1. Backup drive only,. Needs overhaul after each use.

THE REST
Shields, Weapons, and other stuff is about the same as in the original Galaxy Guide.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate! Appreciate it greatly! When I found out there was a revised version, I sported the 30 bucks on amazon to buy >.> <.< Just got here today. Very cool.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only rule I'll change up a bit is with maneuverability. I think I'll stick with the basic +1D+2 for modification, however, ships with 0D can first purchase maneuvering thrusters or jury rig, to grant a base maneuverability of 1D first, which can then be modified up by +1D+2. Maxing it out at +2D+2, which is not bad, but it's not so outlandish so as to break ship combat or piloting rolls.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I think the only rule I'll change up a bit is with maneuverability. I think I'll stick with the basic +1D+2 for modification, however, ships with 0D can first purchase maneuvering thrusters or jury rig, to grant a base maneuverability of 1D first, which can then be modified up by +1D+2. Maxing it out at +2D+2, which is not bad, but it's not so outlandish so as to break ship combat or piloting rolls.

+1D+2 is more likely to break the ship, before it breaks ship combat. All a GM has to do to keep it in line is to just invoke a complication when that "1" pops up on the wild die. Good for when the freighter captain starts treating his ship like an X-Wing.

You might want to consider making a small table of replacement thrusters that work in a similar fashion to the replacement drives. Give upgrades ones a slight cargo cost (say 1t per D in Hull, for +1D, doubled at each +1D).

So 1D = hull Dice
2D= 2x Hull Dice
3D- 4x Hull Dice
4D- 16x Hull Dice

So if a Captain wants a YT-1300 to roll like an A-Wing he can install 64 tons of thrusters!

Probably cost a bundle, too. Maybe half the mass in kCr?.

Just brainstorming again. Embarassed
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense. Ran the 1D before the 1D+2 by the GM. She liked it. So, I'll probably stick with that for the time being, just trying to get my Gozanti Cruiser to be a little less of a tugboat. We salvaged a ton of maneuvering jets from all sorts of ships in a ship graveyard. Rolled well too for the search so it's all in working order. But I like the idea you've got also.
As for cost, I'd probably make it based on the size of the ship, so maybe Xm*200 per die code of thrusters, so for my Gozanti, it'd be 41*200 per D worth of maneuvering jets, since you need to mount them all over to get any sort of noticeable effect. Just an idea. Too expensive for the cost?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Makes sense. Ran the 1D before the 1D+2 by the GM. She liked it. So, I'll probably stick with that for the time being, just trying to get my Gozanti Cruiser to be a little less of a tugboat. We salvaged a ton of maneuvering jets from all sorts of ships in a ship graveyard. Rolled well too for the search so it's all in working order. But I like the idea you've got also.
As for cost, I'd probably make it based on the size of the ship, so maybe Xm*200 per die code of thrusters, so for my Gozanti, it'd be 41*200 per D worth of maneuvering jets, since you need to mount them all over to get any sort of noticeable effect. Just an idea. Too expensive for the cost?

I think you might be a little too expensive with the cost being per meter. Jusrt becuase one ship is a little longer than another shouldn't make a difference.

What would make more sense to me would be to adjust the number of thrusteres needed by the mass of the vehicle, but there are no mass vlaues given for ships in the RPG.

THe closet we could come up with would be basing it off the cargo capacity. The higher a ships (unmodifeed) capacity is, the greater the mass the ship is probably hauling around).

So maybe Cargo (tons) x Hull Code (greater hull, greater mass) x100 credits per D (or per pip?)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: