The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Battle Droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Battle Droids Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Battle Droid version seems to most fit the movies?
V1
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
V2
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
V3
80%
 80%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 10

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWAD,

I think the differ4ence in the stats actually reflect differences in play styles more than anything else. Personally I think Gry's latest stats are right on the money as far as matching up with the old West End stuff and the way the game was originally played, with PC heroes being marked superior to the typical foe.

The more powerful writeup reflects the style of those who believe that starting PCs are not so good and that the battle droids only look wimpy in the films because they are going up against heroes who are significantly better than starting characters.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hence my comments. Most of those we saw in the arena fighting were fully fledged knights and masters, so of course they would be 'pwning' the battle droids.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Hence my comments. Most of those we saw in the arena fighting were fully fledged knights and masters, so of course they would be 'pwning' the battle droids.

Well, the way the defense rules work, 7D is is just as ineffective as 2D in that situation. I think that d6s "One defense roll vs. all attacks" wasn't created with the idea that character would be shot at by dozens of foes, multiple times in one round.

It7s not that the droids were very good, just that the level of firepower was so great that the shots had to go somewhere. Of course if the GM was rolling for every attack, sooner or later some of those droids are going to roll lots of sixes on the wild die, and even Jedi can roll low once in awhile.

But if Battle droids are 7D, I'd afraid to see the stats for an Ewok. Those furballs took out a legion of elite troops, with sticks and stones and without the advantage overwhelming numbers. Shocked
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't give wild die to mooks. Battle droids count as mooks in my book. What they do have, and how you calculate in the overwhelming numbers are combined action shots. Of all those shots, one of them are bound to hit, so the droids combine action to blast whatever target, and dump a good portion of the bonus for to-hit. GM only has to roll one shot for a legion of droids, and makes things smooth out.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
While it is nice to see stats for them, if i was even just a flunky out of thug school i would not be afraid of them. heck even droidekas by that stats only has 5d in blaster...

Droidekas have never been portrayed as marksmen. Their strength is in creating a barrage of blaster fire from a source that cannot be cut down. Eventually the enemy will fall or flee.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Droidekas have never been portrayed as marksmen.

Then why were Quigon and obiwan, then later anakin and obi wan afraid when they showed up.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For exactly the reason I stated. They roll in quickly and deploy shields. They shower the Jedi with a barrage of blaster fire, which the Jedi can deflect, but if he does it for a long time, eventually a shot will go through. The Jedi can't cut the droid down or deflect the blasts back at it because of the shield so the only options are to run or to try some clever trick.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qui-Gonn only flees in Episode 1 when they realize the Droidekas have shield generators. Matter of fact, he says, "it's a standoff".
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I don't give wild die to mooks. Battle droids count as mooks in my book. What they do have, and how you calculate in the overwhelming numbers are combined action shots. Of all those shots, one of them are bound to hit, so the droids combine action to blast whatever target, and dump a good portion of the bonus for to-hit. GM only has to roll one shot for a legion of droids, and makes things smooth out.

I do give mooks the wild die. Why shouldn't they suffer like the rest of us? That was one of the things I like about 2nd edition. A stormtrooper can actually hit someone at long range. In first edition, my PCs would often try to fight at long range, since the bad guys couldn't roll a 20 on 3 dice, and rarely did so on 4.

The combine fire used to make a big difference, but with 2nd R&E, it ain't what it used to be. I recently downloaded the R&E rules upgrade and am kind of dissapointed that you have to be Julius Caesar just to be able to coordinate a football team. I think if I were running the battle, I'd limit the total bonus to the command dice, not the number of beings.

Gry Sarth wrote:

Droidekas have never been portrayed as marksmen. Their strength is in creating a barrage of blaster fire from a source that cannot be cut down. Eventually the enemy will fall or flee.

True. I think the reason why some people gave them such high ratings was to allow for multiple attacks with their repeating blasters. His droids work a bit better if you assume that they are making 3 attacks a round, and are "combining fire" with the second blaster.

But then, I've yet to see a write up for the Droidekas that has a high enough shield rating. It should be able to reflect it's own weaponry, and have a good explanation why Jedi can't get through it with all those damage dice they roll. Say something like they only get the Control dice after the penetrate the shield and/or the shield defects their lightsabers enough to throw off their strikes.

Going "by the book" Droideka are no challenge for Jedi and Qui-Gon, and Obi-wan would have quickly sliced them into scrap metal, and left us with a 20 minute movie--but at least one without Jar-Jar.

Qui-Gon probably has Read Script and Look at Storyboard powers under Sense.

Shocked
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted this is not listed in the description of the power, but I always interpreted the bonus to damage for lightsaber combat being the force allowing the jedi to hit critical spots to increase their damage.

If this is the case, it may explain how the shield would be vs the lightsaber only, not the lightsaber plus control roll.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delkarnu wrote:
Granted this is not listed in the description of the power, but I always interpreted the bonus to damage for lightsaber combat being the force allowing the jedi to hit critical spots to increase their damage.

I always interpreted it the same. The Jedi are not magically doing two or three times normal damage with the thing, but striking with uncanny precision (Control) for greater effect. The lightsaber cadences from Galaxy Guide 9 would also support this view.

Delkarnu wrote:

If this is the case, it may explain how the shield would be vs the lightsaber only, not the lightsaber plus control roll.

Yeah, it would. Considering the climatic fight in Episode I, it is possible that lightsabers might not be able to penetrate any sort of shield. Kind of makes sense, since it is probably some sort of shield that is holding the "blade" together in the first place. When two sabers meet, the shields are repelling each other.

This would make shields a great anti-Jedi tactic. Raise the shields and suddenly the Jedi can't slice a "door" to get into the Lambda-class shuttles, and the occasional baddie with one of those personal shields might be a major headache.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
But then, I've yet to see a write up for the Droidekas that has a high enough shield rating. It should be able to reflect it's own weaponry, and have a good explanation why Jedi can't get through it with all those damage dice they roll.

Adding armor and shield, the Droideka I posted has 7D+2 against energy damage. That's quite enough to deflect its own 6D repeating blaster, although you're right that a high-power Jedi with the added Force damage would be able to slice through. That Jedi lightsaber damage is always a problem when trying to balance things....
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
atgxtg wrote:
But then, I've yet to see a write up for the Droidekas that has a high enough shield rating. It should be able to reflect it's own weaponry, and have a good explanation why Jedi can't get through it with all those damage dice they roll.

Adding armor and shield, the Droideka I posted has 7D+2 against energy damage. That's quite enough to deflect its own 6D repeating blaster, although you're right that a high-power Jedi with the added Force damage would be able to slice through. That Jedi lightsaber damage is always a problem when trying to balance things....

Sorry Gry,
Generally speaking your stats tend to hit closest to the mark.

7D+2 will stop 6D most of the time, although between die rolls and the wild die, probably not well enough to stand up ta group of characters for long,and it certainly better than some of the other (2D shield) writeups.

As for the Jedi Lightsaber damage, oh yeah. I almost used the Legend system varaint when stating up the new group to get around that problem. I think WEG goofed when did second edition and kept the high damage with the new damage tables.

But Delkarnu's thought about shields preventing Jedi from adding thier Control dice would solve the matter in the case of Droidekas. While the Jedi would probably get through the shield before the droids got past the parry roll, it is still a bad sitaution for the Jedi tactically. Definately a stand off.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YodaWI wrote:
True, their stats are not anything scary, but remember, the strength of battle droids is in their numbers, especially the basic battle droids. It doesn't matter too much what their blaster skill is if you have dozens or more firing at you. They are bound to hit their target.

One thing that would make the destroyer droids more powerful would be a faster fire rate on their blasters. They fire at least twice as fast as a blaster rifle or pistol, in my opinion.

Hmm, how does RoF work again.. I thought it was the maximum number of shots you could fire each round (1 shot = one action). Is it instead RoF number of shots = 1 action. Otherwise I cant see how high RoF would make something more scary.

Anyone has any idea of how all those droids with multiple weapons work (or should work). Whats the point in having a reapeating blaster in each arm? Can you fire both as one action? I actually saw somewhere a droid with 6 blast pistols (IIRC)...no point if you dont have some kind of multi-fire rule..
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

Anyone has any idea of how all those droids with multiple weapons work (or should work). Whats the point in having a reapeating blaster in each arm? Can you fire both as one action? I actually saw somewhere a droid with 6 blast pistols (IIRC)...no point if you dont have some kind of multi-fire rule..

Or a high enough blaster skill to fire each once a round with any chance of accuracy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: