The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Reaction Skills Clarification
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Reaction Skills Clarification Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orpheus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reaction Skills Clarification Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've actually ran a face-to-face game myself, and since I'm going to be doing so in a few weeks I thought that I would seek some answers regarding this oft-discussed (so I've noticed) topic.

My actual question regards the process for a charcter who has not acted nor declared yet (bad dudes got to go first this round) and then is attacked. This character can then decide to use a full dodge (making that his only action for the round) or a normal dodge. If he simply uses the normal dodge then what happens? Must he then decide, "Hey, I plan on attacking this guy with my blaster during my turn, so I'll do a dodge at -1D," or does he get that dodge at his full die code, only to take his remaing actions (when it's his turn and he gets to declare his actions) with a MAP? Confused
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full dodge is doing nothing in a round but getting out of the way, diving for cover, etc. Adds to the range difficulty.

partial dodge is doing another action while trying to avoid being shot. replaces the range difficulty

Think about a shootout, when the bullets start flying, the hero does nothing but dive for cover, a full dodge. After that, he pops up to take a shot and then ducks down to avoid incoming fire. by doing the second action of popping up and shooting at a target, he puts himself in the line of fire, so is easier to hit than the guy doing nothing but getting out of the way.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the question related only to the MAPs, Del.

It kind of depends on how you do declaring and resolving:
-- If you declare+act one character at a time in high->low initiative order, you'd probably roll the reaction at full and apply the MAP to subsequent actions.
-- If you declare number of actions (or straight to the actions themselves) in init order, then act on them, someone who hadn't declared a dodge when they declared can add one in as a reaction when they discover they're being attacked; MAPs apply to all rolls.
etc.

Basically, if the character knows they're doing something other than dodging in the round, apply the MAPs. If it's unknown, it's hard to apply MAPs that may not come up.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, answered the wrong question. oops.

But this is one reason I never liked reaction dodges, in all games I've played, you either take the MAP to dodge if needed, or don't get to dodge.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delkarnu wrote:
yup, answered the wrong question. oops.

But this is one reason I never liked reaction dodges, in all games I've played, you either take the MAP to dodge if needed, or don't get to dodge.

Same. It's one of the R&E rules we never adopted when it was published.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Characters can perform only reaction skill's when it is not their initiative, but when there initiative comes they count the reactions ast actions taken that round and take the MAPs for the round. e.g. the enemy gets the first action and opens fire, the character dodges as a reaction and then gets his turn, as he has already taken an action to dodge this would be his second action.

Full defense reaction cannot be used with any other action that round as it counts as if the character is spending the entire time between this initiative and there next initiative actively defending, but a full reaction can still be used as a reaction skill(and so before your initiative).
Orion
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Reaction Skills Clarification Reply with quote

Orpheus wrote:
It's been a while since I've actually ran a face-to-face game myself, and since I'm going to be doing so in a few weeks I thought that I would seek some answers regarding this oft-discussed (so I've noticed) topic.

My actual question regards the process for a charcter who has not acted nor declared yet (bad dudes got to go first this round) and then is attacked. This character can then decide to use a full dodge (making that his only action for the round) or a normal dodge. If he simply uses the normal dodge then what happens? Must he then decide, "Hey, I plan on attacking this guy with my blaster during my turn, so I'll do a dodge at -1D," or does he get that dodge at his full die code, only to take his remaing actions (when it's his turn and he gets to declare his actions) with a MAP? Confused

excerpt from 2nd ed. R&E page 78.

Quote:

2. Roll Actions
The first side acts now. The character with the highest Perception goes first. the player tells you how many actions he's making this round and you assign the multiple actions penalty. then, the player rolls his character's first action.
Acting in Perception order (highest to lowest), every player tells you how many actions his character is making and rolls his first action.
(If the gamemaster characters go first, you just have to know how many actions each character is taking, assign the multiple actions penalties, and have the characters take their first actions.)

To say this is poorly written, I think is an understatement, as it leaves open to interpretation the use of the word character in the third sentence. In most game systems that I have read the use of the word character is in reference to the Players, however the usage in this sentence seems to indicate that it references the earlier use of gamemaster characters, which I believe it does. If we say that it references the gamemaster characters then it leaves your question to stand without an official rule to explain it. If we say it refers to the Players then they must declare actions even when it is not their turn to do so.

My solution for the unexplained situation would be for the player to choose between a full reaction and a reaction at -1D. Stating that if they do not choose the full reaction they are declaring their intent to preform at least one other action that round, if they perform more than one action, they got a break on the dodge, if they later decide not to act then, say that at the time of the dodge they were intending another action so their character's mind was working on two things and that caused the MAP, just because when they finished the dodge they decided the second action was unwise doesn't change that when they dodged they were planning another action otherwise they would have used a full reaction. Call it a keeping your options open penalty, if you like. This to me seems to fit with the official rules for reactions which always add a MAP unless you replace one of your original actions with it, but since the player has not declared any actions yet, they don't have one to replace.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the character only declared one action and dodged, he can't decide to fire after that, he's already used his one action. There is no such thing as "reaction shot". If all he wanted to do is dodge, he should have Full Dodged, if he wanted to dodge and fire, he should have declared two actions. If he didn't, too bad for him, wait for next round.
Orion
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
If the character only declared one action and dodged, he can't decide to fire after that, he's already used his one action. There is no such thing as "reaction shot". If all he wanted to do is dodge, he should have Full Dodged, if he wanted to dodge and fire, he should have declared two actions. If he didn't, too bad for him, wait for next round.

If this is in response to my post, I think you missed that the characters haven't declared yet, that is what Orpheus is asking about. If the GM characters win the initiative, they declare but what if a PC wishes to dodge, the PC haven't declared yet, because according to the rule I quoted each character declares just before preforming their first action, so what your saying doesn't really fit, though it is absolutely true. I suppose you could interpret that to mean the PC must declare thier actions when they announce the dodge as the dodge would be this PC's first action, even if it is out of initiative order.
Orpheus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orion, I don't think that it's poorly written, and character is used to mean both player character and non-player character; that doesn't really seem confusing to me.

It's just that all of the examples given for reaction skill usage make the assumption that the player characters are reacting after they've already performed their declared action.

Example: Grondak fires his blaster twice at -1D, then on the GM's turn he dodges at -2D when fired upon.

The example that I want is something for this: Grondak is fired upon by a GM character but has not yet declared nor acted in this round. Should Grondak, assuming that he doesn't just perform a full dodge as a reaction skill, say, "I'm planning on firing my blaster twice at this guy and another guy so let me just dodge at -2D now, and then fire my blaster at -2D when it's my turn"?

I always used the "declared dodge" rule from vanilla 2nd Edition back in the 90's; the use of reaction skills is something I've only seen in the past year since I've picked up a copy of R&E. Part of me always disliked having to declare a dodge that you didn't know whether or not you'd have to perform, but I can see where the use of reaction skills would be abused. I also get the philosophy behind the "delcared dodge" from 2nd Edition ("Keep an eye out for trouble, kid."), but I like the revised method.

Eh, I'll probably just decide what I like once I start GM'ing again. Smile
Orion
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orpheus, I say it's poorly written because if you interpret it one way it can provide an answer to your question, but if you interpret it the way it seems to be intended, it does not, nor do any of the following rules.

In the end your answer is the one that describes what, I think, we all do. You asked here in the official rules section and so I tried to interpret what the official rules actually have to say on the matter. My own combat system differs greatly from the official rules so I could not give you examples from it.

Looking back I think my musing in response to Gry seems to be the simplest way to solve the dilemma, as it would just mean having any character that wants to dodge before declaration, simply declare before they dodge so you can calculate MAP's.
Orpheus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orion wrote:
Orpheus, I say it's poorly written because if you interpret it one way it can provide an answer to your question, but if you interpret it the way it seems to be intended, it does not, nor do any of the following rules.

Well, the only thing is that the excerpt which you quoted doesn't have anything to do with "reaction skills." I certainly appreciate your assistance though as I've seen discussions on these forums that make me look at a rule which I thought that I understood one way in a totally different light.

In short, the issue I'm having with the concept of "reaction skills" is what happens when the bad guys go first and the PC's are fired upon. Surely they'll want to dodge, but perhaps not take a full dodge. They don't really declare their normal actions during their opponents' initiative round so how should MAP's be applied to that reaction dodge or parry when they haven't declared or acted yet? Is it cummulative from there on out? Do they dodge using a full code and then perform their yet-to-be-declared actions with a -1D already accrued come their turn, much as dodges performed as a reaction after their turns suffer from MAP's accrued before their reaction dodge? Confused
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orion wrote:
Gry Sarth wrote:

If this is in response to my post, I think you missed that the characters haven't declared yet, that is what Orpheus is asking about. If the GM characters win the initiative, they declare but what if a PC wishes to dodge, the PC haven't declared yet, because according to the rule I quoted each character declares just before preforming their first action, so what your saying doesn't really fit, though it is absolutely true. I suppose you could interpret that to mean the PC must declare thier actions when they announce the dodge as the dodge would be this PC's first action, even if it is out of initiative order.

I have seen it that they always declare how many actions before any are even resolved. So they should have made it known how many they were taking before the enemy made their first shot.
Orion
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orpheus wrote:
Orion wrote:

Well, the only thing is that the excerpt which you quoted doesn't have anything to do with "reaction skills." I certainly appreciate your assistance though as I've seen discussions on these forums that make me look at a rule which I thought that I understood one way in a totally different light.

In short, the issue I'm having with the concept of "reaction skills" is what happens when the bad guys go first and the PC's are fired upon. Surely they'll want to dodge, but perhaps not take a full dodge. They don't really declare their normal actions during their opponents' initiative round so how should MAP's be applied to that reaction dodge or parry when they haven't declared or acted yet? Is it cummulative from there on out? Do they dodge using a full code and then perform their yet-to-be-declared actions with a -1D already accrued come their turn, much as dodges performed as a reaction after their turns suffer from MAP's accrued before their reaction dodge? Confused

The exerpt was about declarations, because that's where MAP's come from, and also because it seem to provide the only possibility in 2nd R&E rules to explain what should take place.

In short the official rules don't seem to offer an answer, its a hole in the rules. I believe most people on this board use modified 2nd edition rules instead of R&E, this probably being one of the reasons. If you wish to try reaction skills you will have to house rule something for the ambiguity. Here is a simplified explanation of my rules. I use individual Initiative (because I like combat to ebb and flow, but it means more dice rolls, I roll 1 die and average the rest for any bad guy not at least an Intermediate Villian), on the first combat round the only action you can take before your initiative comes up is a Full Reaction, after the first round reaction skills work off the preceeding rounds MAP's, in other words I say that the dodging charter is still in the preceding round, until they declare actions for the current round. This also means if they dodged the previous round they are still in that dodge at the beginning of the next round until their turn comes up.
Orion
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Orion wrote:
Gry Sarth wrote:

I have seen it that they always declare how many actions before any are even resolved. So they should have made it known how many they were taking before the enemy made their first shot.

I agree that this is how a lot of people run it, but it's not what the rule in 2nd R&E says to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: