The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Old Republic Online officially anounced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> The Old Republic Online officially anounced. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravenarchon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: The Old Republic Online officially anounced. Reply with quote

Didn't see any other posts about this, and this IS a star wars forum of some kind. So thought any here who didn't already know might like to.

http://www.swtor.com/index.php

It's set like 300 years after the two KotOR games, when the true sith that Revan and the Exile went off to fight finally make their move.

Oh and in an interview, one of the devs aparently said it's not going to be d20 like the other two Old Republic games.

Frankly I'm psyched, even if the graphics do look a little... WoWish. Altho my brother's first reaction was that they were trying to copy the new CGI cartoon, so maybe WoW is just doing stuff to my head.

Anyway yeah, Star Wars MMO that isn't Galaxies? Sign me up.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm frankly a little bummed about this. I love the KOTOR games and I would love to be able to play KOTOR 3 (done right, this time). But now they've turned it into an MMORPG and that simply does not interest me. I don't want to pay a monthly fee in order to enjoy my games, and I don't want to feel obligated to play it a lot since I'm paying good monthly money for that. Besides that, the MMO crowd just turns me off. I play my RPGs seriously and it seems most people "out there" don't, which just ruins the setting.

I pass.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
I'm frankly a little bummed about this. I love the KOTOR games and I would love to be able to play KOTOR 3 (done right, this time). But now they've turned it into an MMORPG and that simply does not interest me. I don't want to pay a monthly fee in order to enjoy my games, and I don't want to feel obligated to play it a lot since I'm paying good monthly money for that. Besides that, the MMO crowd just turns me off. I play my RPGs seriously and it seems most people "out there" don't, which just ruins the setting.

I pass.

Yeah, I'm with you there. I don't dig the MMO scene at all, due to the price and the people. The idea of this MMO is kind of exciting, but at the same time I know that I won't play it, which is disappointing.

The single player, or small network, RPG scene is all but dieing. I'd love to see more quality single player games being developed, but they're just not fashionable.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they stick to the standard monthly fee for MMOs (around $15 USD) that roughly equates to $.50 a day to play the game. Even if you only play for an hour a day, I'd say that's pretty reasonable. I dunno about you, but I can play a $50 single-player RPG (like KOTOR) in one or two months. So, an MMO ends up being a CHEAPER option. If you consider tabletop gaming, the cost of gas/snacks (and sometimes even table fees) every week, MMOs still come out cheaper. Plus, I can play an MMO at home in my pajamas Very Happy

Yes, I agree, there are jerks who play MMOs and make it a less an immersive experience. But then, I'm in an area where no one is playing SWd6 so, half-immersion is better than none at all.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
If they stick to the standard monthly fee for MMOs (around $15 USD) that roughly equates to $.50 a day to play the game. Even if you only play for an hour a day, I'd say that's pretty reasonable. I dunno about you, but I can play a $50 single-player RPG (like KOTOR) in one or two months. So, an MMO ends up being a CHEAPER option. If you consider tabletop gaming, the cost of gas/snacks (and sometimes even table fees) every week, MMOs still come out cheaper. Plus, I can play an MMO at home in my pajamas Very Happy

Your calculations seem off to me Razz I'll hit them in sequence.
Yeah, $15/mo isn't too bad as a by-day cost... but even so, I don't like paying for time I'm not using something.
I really don't understand how paying $50 for a game, then $15/mo to actually PLAY the game is cheaper than paying $50 for a game and playing it forever without additional cost is cheaper.
You must travel very far if you're spending more than $15/mo on fuel to play a table top game each week. IF you have to rent a table somewhere to play, yeah, that's adding the cost, but the social value of that table outweighs the similar rental cost to play your MMO. Plus, with table top games, only one player need purchase the "software".. the rule books that is, which dilutes the cost of playing across all players, in many ways, and the books can be enjoyed for years after computer hardware/software becomes obsolete, extending the potential for enjoyment and bang for buck ratio.

As for the snacks part, you'd better believe that many, many players would add that bill to their MMO experience, so should be factored in on all fronts, or dropped Razz

MMOs are not cheap and they're limited in their potential for use by the game providers maintaining their servers. There are a lot of MMOs out there that cannot be played because the providers either stopped running servers or went out of business. That really blows, imo. Non-MMO RPGs can be played whenever you want, years after their popularity has waned, and without the need for an internet connection. There's a lot to be said for the format.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who says you cant play other games in your pyjamas Very Happy even table top games.

As a recently x-student and new house owner the expenses are packing up. and while it may be .50$ a day on that game, mortgage is 45$ a day, hydro is 10$/day (more if you mmo more Wink) food is 15$ a day etc. if you can save that .50$ a day and just spend a one time cost when you can afford it I find it better.

and tabletops... ive spent at most 100$ on tabletop games since i started gaming, and i have been gaming for close to 10 years now (wow, thats a long time)

I hadnt realized this was an MMO at first glance, and unfortunatly my opnion of it has gone downhill. MMOs need to keep you in the game longer, to keep you playing. So in MMO you hear words such as "XP/gold/equip Farming" and users have to spend hours doing this to just to be able to enjoy some other aspect of the game. This is known by the corps that create them know this and do this on purpose.

just my 2 creds but I probably wont jump on this MMO band wagon (or any other).

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't buy the "don't pay for what you don't use" argument. Most of us pay for things that we don't use 24x7. (Cable TV, Internet service, telephone service, etc.)

Just remember that MMOs are essentially a service and not a product. *shrug* either way, the money thing isn't a big deal for me. I'm not telling you how to spend your money, just that (in my opinion), MMOs are not as expensive as everyone makes them out to be. I've played Star Wars: Galaxies and World of Warcraft for over 3 years and have gotten quite a bit of enjoyment out of it.

It's not an apples to apples comparison to compare MMOs and tabletop gaming, they are completely different gaming experiences and each has their merits. If you've tried MMOs and that's not your thing, I'm cool with that.

And btw, the nearest table top gaming locale for me is a 10 mi trip (one-way). Plus, all the groups ever want to play is D&D. While I like D&D and it's a fun game to play. I REALLY want to play (and GM) SWd6.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played MMOs and enjoyed them, but yeah, it's expensive Razz It's not AS expensive as a lot of things, but, well, $10-20/mo is $10-20/mo no matter how you slice it (plus the initial cost of buying the software). While it's not a horrendous cost, it is far more expensive than buying non-subscription games.

As for comparing MMOs and table top not being fair, remember, it is you that initiated it Smile I agree they're different concepts.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Ravenarchon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add my 2 cents, I've been playing MMOs for a long time. Like 3 or 4 years now. I only play one of them full time (Final Fantasy XI), so my view is a bit diferant because FFXI is a far cry from the typical MMO like WoW - a game I didn't much enjoy.

Frankly MMOs can go either way. FFXI is very people driven. You basicly can't do ANYTHING without a group. There are exceptions, but mostly you need friends in FFXI or you're not getting anywhere. So you get to know people fast, and you're always doing stuff together.

That I like. I like the feeling of unity in FFXI. We have our noobs and jerks sure, but overall alot of the people got where they are because someone helped them. And they remember it. Alot of people are put off by FFXI for this exact reason. They want to do everything on their own and don't really want to work for it. But for me this is the best way to do it.

On the flip side you have games like WoW. Which is basicly a one player game with other people in it. There are some things that require alot of people like raids and stuff, but those can often devolve into arguments, and drama. Mostly because all the people in the group got themselves where they are now, and they're still a bit selfish. (No offence meant to any WoW players here. I do play and enjoy the game on occasion.)

So the way I see it there is the potential for this game to be awesome, or to be crap. Their idea of making the game more story driven especially intrigues me.

It's okay if you don't like MMOs or they're not your cup of tea. But I (and many people like me from what I've been hearing), have been DREAMING of a MMO version of KotOR since the first game came out. And I am practically comming unhinged waiting for more news about it.
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played WoW, all be it on a private server with few people. I have just recently bought City of Heroes/Villians: Good Vs. Evil edition. It cost me $20 for the game itself, and $15 for the time card. I payed $35 dollars for it, and I believe that I have gotten my value for the game. The point of gaming, or any sort of hobby, is entertainment. If you don't find something entertaining then don't pay for it. But if you do find something entertaining, then go for it.

Also, it's usually not a good idea to have only 1 copy of most of the books in a game. Me and my group only have 1 Players Handbook for D&D 3.5, and it was a disaster. "Hey, give me the book" "No, I'm using it." "I f*** need it." So on, and so fourth. It's not so much for this particular game but for RPG's in general, you are paying about $30 a month to buy new books (if you buy one), plus dice. And then again the cost of gas, some people don't have cars that get good gas mileage, and some people have to go pretty far to play. One of my friends lives 25 miles out of town from the rest of us, one direction. Coming back and fourth, 1 once a week is 50 miles, in a typical car that gets, oh say...20 miles a gallon on the highway, that's about 2 1/2 gallons of gas, just to get to and from the gaming group. With gas being around $2.30, that's $4.60. If you do that once a week for a month, that's about $18.40 a month. If we play once a week, sometimes we play more than that, sometimes less but it usually evens out to that. It's not possible to say that MMO's cost more or less than a table top game except for in your own life.

There's my 2 creds.

"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiming in:

I agree with Gry: I'm not gonna pay $50 to buy the game, then spend $15/month to play it. That's $180 per year (plus the game itself) to play a game that I own. Besides, the economy is slow, I need that money for gas to go to work..... Shocked
names_are_useless
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
... I don't want to pay a monthly fee in order to enjoy my games, and I don't want to feel obligated to play it a lot since I'm paying good monthly money for that ...

jmanski wrote:
I'm not gonna pay $50 to buy the game, then spend $15/month to play it. That's $180 per year (plus the game itself) to play a game that I own ...

*coughwaittoplayfreeonprivateserverscough*

*coughyoudidnthearitfrommecough*

I would also prefer a KOTOR3 myself. I liked my Force-Lightning, Force-Choking walking Sith Lord of death from KOTOR2, but of course MMOs won't allow you to be a single-man death machine Razz

Anyways I have played MMOs in the past (like WoW, LOTRO Beta, ... and, much to my embarrasement today, Sims Online ... UGH!). If its more story driven then WoW, and has more of a community aspect to it, I may at least give the Beta a shot (which will probably be like 2010). I really don't want to see this if I end up playing The Old Republic:

bob_everyman: hey can u help me wit dis quest
Me: You seek help to kill the Scourge here? I could use an ally myself.
bob_everyman: lets go!!1!!1

I roleplay along the way to our destination point with my Blood Elf Paladin, showing how tired my BE has become of the wanton death and decay that the Scourge brings to Azeroth.

bob_everyman: um k lol

I make a real-life heavy sigh. Upon treking through a forest where everything wants to murder us just for breathing, we reach Mob Cave #521. We go through, kill some mindless NPC mobs, search for l00t, kill the mob boss at the end of the dungeon, wait for the mob boss to respawn so the other person can get the quest item, ask other players waiting for the respawn how long this mob boss takes to respawn, hide from max-level Alliance players that want to kill us for no apparent reason, running for our lives back to the nearest Horde town before the max-lvl Alliance guys catch us on their superman-speed epic mounts, etc. etc. etc.

bob_everyman: hey thanks 4 teh help
Me: The pleasure is all mine. Let us heal ourselves and prepare the trek back to the cave.
bob_everyman: alrite bye!
bob_everyman leaves the game.

... yeah ... I've REALLY grown tired of WoW. Might I point out this sort of thing happens on an official ROLEPLAYING server. Sadly they're no different to the regular servers, except we got people running around laughing at people for actually ROLEPLAYING on a ROLEPLAYING server!!! *head explodes*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthMortis wrote:
Also, it's usually not a good idea to have only 1 copy of most of the books in a game. Me and my group only have 1 Players Handbook for D&D 3.5, and it was a disaster. "Hey, give me the book" "No, I'm using it." "I f*** need it." So on, and so fourth. It's not so much for this particular game but for RPG's in general, you are paying about $30 a month to buy new books (if you buy one), plus dice. ............. It's not possible to say that MMO's cost more or less than a table top game except for in your own life.

Certainly, how much you spend in your hobby is a very personal thing. For me and my group the situation is quite different. As far I know, tabletop RPGing is THE cheapest hobby in the world. I mean, just considering the hardware needed (books, dice, paper and pencils) my entire group must have shelled out about $50 to purchase something like 5 years of entertainment. At 5-6 hours per session and about 3 sessions per month, that's about 1,000 hours of entertainment at 1 cent per hour per person. If that's not cheap I don't know what is. All we needed was the Rulebook and the GM Screen and we were more than set to play.
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
DarthMortis wrote:
Also, it's usually not a good idea to have only 1 copy of most of the books in a game. Me and my group only have 1 Players Handbook for D&D 3.5, and it was a disaster. "Hey, give me the book" "No, I'm using it." "I f*** need it." So on, and so fourth. It's not so much for this particular game but for RPG's in general, you are paying about $30 a month to buy new books (if you buy one), plus dice. ............. It's not possible to say that MMO's cost more or less than a table top game except for in your own life.

Certainly, how much you spend in your hobby is a very personal thing. For me and my group the situation is quite different. As far I know, tabletop RPGing is THE cheapest hobby in the world. I mean, just considering the hardware needed (books, dice, paper and pencils) my entire group must have shelled out about $50 to purchase something like 5 years of entertainment. At 5-6 hours per session and about 3 sessions per month, that's about 1,000 hours of entertainment at 1 cent per hour per person. If that's not cheap I don't know what is. All we needed was the Rulebook and the GM Screen and we were more than set to play.

Yeah, but that's also for if you play only 1 kind of tabletop RPG. My group plays D20, D6, D10, etc. I'm not gonna argue that it's probably cheaper, my point was for some people it's worth the money, and for some people it's not. It's just up to you to figure out which one is true for you.
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, after all these years...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic Disorder Cinematic Trailer

Code:
AN ONGOING CONFLICT
The war between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire spreads to new worlds! Dangerous fringe groups rise in the dark corners of the galaxy and Darth Malgus pursues an unknown plan… Unravel these mysteries and more as your choices continue to shape the galaxy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: