The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

force armor?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> force armor? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggmoridin
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: force armor? Reply with quote

heya guys... im new to the site and i was just wondering if it is at all possible to permanently imbue cloths or light armor wit force abilities such as absorb/dissipate for purely energy resistance and some thing like force of will to increase the wearers resistance to force effects?

any help would be greatly appreciated
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply put, no. Speaking from official source in the rpg, I don't recall ever seeing such a thing. Sorry, no time right now.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally speaking it smacks of D&D to me, but I can't see why it isn't possible. There are Sith artifacts out there that enhance the bearers force powers, but I don't recall any rules for making them.

All I can suggest is, if you want it in your game, then talk to your GM, or if you are the GM, make up some rules.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned, there's no official source for this... Can you do it anyway? I would suggest "no" as well... but, as Org said, it's your game (if you're the GM), just make it up.

To me it doesn't make any sense to be able to do what you're asking; it's just outside the nature of the Force. There are examples, as Org mentioned, of items that grant bonuses to a Force user that use them, but I'm pretty sure there are none that will simulate a Force Power on their own (without a sentient being manipulating it). The concept works well with static magic effects, but not so well with the dynamic Force.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
ggmoridin
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool cool.... thanks guys.... as i said. me was just wondering... the main consensus's is no so yeah... twas just a thought....

thanks again guys, muchly appreciated
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, Lesser force shield and greater force shield are out there. That would be as close as you can get. As for imbuing clothes, no. no chance.

I would be willing to bend the rules slightly - you can have the force shield any shape you want (eg exactly the size of your body) but thats as far as it goes for me.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a holocron is imbued with the Force essence of its creator, so why couldn't other objects be tweaked. Personally, I'd allow it.

<gry>"Yeah, you would."</gry>
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm..... "gry mode" ? That's new.
K21DUBIE
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jamflke, in the tales of the Jedi source book there is sith armor and even tailsmans that grant a shield for the user. So I don't see why not, just don't let the group get carried away, and of course, they would not be the only one who knows of the exsitence of such an item (hint) so keeping it once you got it would be difficult.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the Sith artifacts, except "Shield" specifically state that they confer their bonuses to Force Users. Shield doesn't explicitly state that... but it does state that the effects last up to a week before they need to be imbued back into the object.

With that in mind, in order to have such a thing in, well, any time after the Sith War, it would require having someone discover ancient Sith secrets and learning to use them... and doing upkeep every week.

Holocrons are a little different again, in that they don't offer some sort of Force Power manifestation and work a little like (as I gather) a lightsaber, in that the Force guides the creation and form of the physical circuits... and differs in that then the Force is used to activate those circuits... which creates the effect via channeling certain patterns in the Force, which are akin to the patterns the creator possessed in life... My interpretation could be flawed Wink

Creating a static Force effect that can be utilized by non-Force Users (User, not just Sensitive) is a different concept altogether, IMO. Everything else, with the exception of the time-limited Shield effect, doesn't grant a Force effect, but rather enhances the User's relationship/power with the Force, which already exists.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Offical"?
No.

BUT.... if you look at KOTOR (or is it KOTOR II?)... there is a cloak that is imbued w/ the force from... Confused Qel-Droma?

<search> KOTOR Items / robes </search>

Got it:

Qel-Droma Robes (g_a_jedirobe06.uti)The Force is strong in the Qel-Droma blood, and many of the family have joined the Jedi Order over the centuries. These robes were created as a gift for Cay Qel-Droma during the war against Exar Kun, and it is said that only one who truly walks the path of the light can wear them. Cay himself wore the robes in his duel against Ulic Qel-Droma, his brother who had fallen to the dark side. Cay was slain in the battle, but his death at his brother's hand eventual lead to Ulic's redemption. These powerful robes then passed down to Duron Qel-Droma, Cay's cousin, when he joined the Jedi. But Duron disappeared shortly after the time of the Great Hunt, and the robes were lost with him.

Attribute Bonus: Wisdom +2
Alignment Limitation: Light Side
Defense Bonus: 5
User Limitation: Human

Now... keep in mind, this is from KOTOR... not "canon", per se... at least, not really to me, anyway...

So... can it be imbued? Eh... I, personally, agree w/ pretty much everyone else here with "no"... but... as usual, Wizards has a way of screwing things up...

<edit>

Also, as far as something else like that goes, there was Orbalisk armor... which, granted, was dark force-critters...
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Items have been present, especially among the Sith & other Dark Siders, that convey bonuses but not actual powers. I could see something come up from a non-Jedi traditions--a Force Mystic of an Alchemical Tradition, for example.
Here's my take on such garb:

Shield of Stollas

Eons ago the inhabitants of the Stollas cluster were champion warriors; a number with latent Force potential even became BattleMasters in the Jedi Order & other such groups. Virtually unmatched in close-quarters combat the Stollas' continued their traditions of such martial prowess.
The introduction of energy weapons, such as Pulse-waves, was an anathema to the Stollas. Aside from its military threat, such weaponry threatened to undermine their very cultural foundation. After much consideration, a solution was tried. BattleMasters worked with the best smiths & armorers in their cluster to create a means of countering these new weapons. After 1 year a number of suits of armor were ready for field trials. However, for their full potential to be unlocked the potential user had to imbue the new armor with a measure of his/her own ties to the Force. Despite this, there were no shortages of those offering.
The first 12 Stollas' warriors so equipped engaged a raiding party attached to pirates operating near their cluster. The raiders were shocked to see their blasts either bouncing off the armored warriors, or simply disappearing into their armor leaving not even carbon scarring. The pirates surrendered after 3 of their number had been slain: the Stollas suffered no losses.
Despite this success, Stollas "Shields" as they became known were never manufactured in great numbers. Perhaps with grim foreshadowing, a star in their cluster went nova--eliminating the Stollas' civilization completely. Though archaeologist have made intermitent treks to the ruined worlds, little useful bits have been found. Jedi records only record the 12 suits made & no data exists on whether or not any others were. Still, a few inquisitive sorts search the ruins hoping to perhaps come across one.

...A rough background to establish why such was made & who did it.
In terms of Stats, again here's my two credits worth:
Description=Shields of Stollas resemble a Draconic-humanoid, with what appears to be a crystal shell. In fact this facet-crystal extra coating, helps refract incoming energy blasts (hence the higher soak vs. energy). All on record had a red/red-orange coloration.
Cover=Full (the face has a covering)
Strength= +2D Physical, +2D Energy; -2D Dexterity
*Special=When donned by a Force User, the armor seems to almost adjust itself to fit: comfortable, for armor, but still bulky (so Dex penalty still applies). If the wearer sacrifices a Force Point, the armor aids in the Ability to Absorb/Dissipate Energy by halving difficulty, round up (for an energy weapon, half the base difficulty & half the damage of the weapon, round up for absorbing/reflecting it). This power lasts up to 1 hour, after which the user must sacrifice another Force Point to keep up the power or re-activate it). If one with Dark Side Points tries to don the armor, it's an exercise in futility as the armor becomes more of a hinderance--another -1D Dex for such no-goods.

...for base stats, I used Dura-Armor from the TalesOfTheJedi:Companion.

Thoughts?
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Empire Strikes back, the place on Dagobah in which Luke encounters an apparation of Darth Vader is described by Yoda as being filled with the Dark Side. In other source material places like these are called Nexuses in which they are imbued with either the Dark or Light side of the Force.

If places can be permanantly imbued with the Force, then shouldn't other objects too?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't possess a Force Power or effect... they're just places where the flow of the Force is concentrated. This concentration can then influence beings that are in/near the area. It's an affinity for an aspect of the Force... not a Force Power.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what i've read most force-enhanced objects don't grant the user a force ability or power, they just enhance them (this seems to sugest that). if you want to create force objects for your campaign it's easy enough to make an object and give it an enhancement bonus, 1D-3D bonuses seem to be the normal range. also force-imbued objects are rare so you shouldn't make too many of them. i would also suggest not allowing your players to create their own force objects. but if you do it should be hard. 10D-13D in the force skill they want to tap into, and years of r&d per die of enhancement. if it were easy to crate force objects everyone would do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: