The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

AU & The campaign
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> AU & The campaign Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
In my campaign set a number of years after ROTJ I have created my own version of the Star Wars galaxy post ROTJ.

The Empire more or less collapsed not long after Anakin fulfilled his destiny. The reason being that Palpatine seems like the sort of person who would design his Empire in a way were it is unable to function without him.

Corruscant as well as about 90% of the Empire has surendered to the New Republic and the rest has retreated to the outer rim were Captains, Admirals and so on have created their own small Empires.

The New Republic is working to create a peaceful society and has reoppened the Senate, but there stilll is a lot of suspicion towards the ability of the senate to make things work again.

I noticed in ROTJ that the Jedi Temple still stands, and I blaim this on Palpatine being the kind of person who has a desire to mock an enemy that doesn't even exist anymore. A very very small group of emerging Jedi (about 16-20) led by Luke Skywalker have retaken possesion of the Temple and use it in an attempt to rebuild a Jedi Order. These Jedi are mostly Padawans of the ones who escaped Order 66.

This is good, especially for a GM/group really comfortable with getting mucked up to their elbows and reshaping the universe. A friend of mine ran a game where Luke joined Vader, the Emperor then elevated Mara Jade to Vader's position as his lieutenant, and the Rebellion basically sat there like at a tennis match, watching the two factions of the Empire trading volleys. So maybe Leia finds out about her Jedi heritage, maybe not. For sure in that world, at that time, Luke didn't know they were related, so Vader didn't find out either.

But oh, the possibilities... Twisted Evil
Kilgore
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad someone likes it
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to enjoy most of the EU stuff I've read, although I haven't read any of the NJO stuff or The New Rebellion & Darksaber. I'm reading the Bounty Hunter Wars right now, and digging the hell out of it. I disregard the prequels and the Special Edition versions of the movies.

It's a relatively minor issue for me however, as my campaign is fringe-based and takes place between ANH and ESB. The galaxy is huge to play in, with tons of room for criminal orgs (canonical and home-grown) and lots of opportunity for "free-traders" trying to make an honest buck. We're mainly located in the Corporate Sector, which is only sparsely described, so there's plenty of freedom to do whatever.

Every now and then I come up across canon, but it's tangential to the adventures of my players' characters. Currently I'm corraling them towards an adventure where they end up providing advanced prosthetics to the Rebellion, which of course will end up being Luke's hand. They enjoy the idea, but they also know they're not going to run into Luke or any major characters. That's pretty much my standard approach to canon within the game.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i do play a non rebellion era, i usually like to go with the thrawn trilogy to dark empire time frame... And i use as much or as little of the EU as i decide when i started that campaing. One i used all the stuff from DE, but as little as poss from the thrawn era.
Taliesin_Bardwolf
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have read almost everything from EU. Some things like me, some not. So I just use in my game what I like, and forget the rest.

In fact, my game is a lot like Kilgor's one, but I have some more Jedis (not very much, at all) and the Jedi Academy is in Yavin IV, as in EU (I had some ideas for adventures there).
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like everything up through Jedi Academy. The Hier to the Empire triglogy rocks, Dark Empire rocks, and Jedi Academy is decent enough. I also use the continuity and events of several of the PC games as I am a big fan of some of the material. Like Dark Forces, Dark Forces II Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast, and finally, Jedi Academy.

I do not care for any of the New Jedi Order crap at all. It doesn't feel like Star Wars. I don't like most of the characters. Tenel Ka and some of those others seem retarded to me. I mean who builds a crappy lightsaber, loses their hand and then refuses to get it replaced? A crazy idiot, that's who. (Just my $.02. Don't want to upset anyone.)

I run post ROTJ games, but I do my own thing. I don't do the Yuzhann Vong or any of that crap. I don't care for it.
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main gripe with the EU was Troy Denning's use of a concept he came up with for the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons setting DarkSun in Star Wars.

The Rhullisti lifeshapers were the concept from which he drew the atrocity I ignore known as the Vong. The Rhullisti (conceptual Vong) were the original inhabitants of Athas, and would have returned on a comet from unknown areas beyond Athas to "Re-Green" the world. They were immune to magic and had a distaste for human society as it had sprung up. They were to defeat the city state of Tyr and lifeshape it to be re-greened Sound familiar? The only change he made was the masochism and fleshy details. So in my games, no Vong.

As a writer myself I take issue with using something so non Star Wars and trying to force it upon Star Wars. I understand the desire to see a good idea come to fruition, and I understand losing the opportunity to tell a good story. But, when Denning admitted as much at a GenCon interview I truly lost my taste for something I already caught on to.

Other than that I take everything canonical and EU canonical with a grain of salt. Changing what I do not like while keeping the flavor I have come to love that is Star Wars. My only major canonical gripe is the demystifying M-word was never conceived. I can understand why Lucas did it. (To demystify the Force and deter further religious beliefs based on Science Fiction) But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Alexis Dority
*smiles*
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the books, I think my favorite is still I, Jedi. Although it INVOLVES some of the major characters, it's not ABOUT them. But it IS about a minor character who follows a different-yet-similar path and gets the chance to be a shiny-sword-wielding hero like big bad Luke Skywalker did, AND he gets to do it without being completely saddled by the altruistic farmboy attitude that yokes Luke. Wink
ZepDek
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well me and some of my players use pretty much any star wars material and accept it as cannon (Except Midiclorians....don't get me started), but the thing is only for the start of the campain. After that its all up in the air. I've had alien invasions, beings from other dimensions coming here (sometimes accedently, sometimes not), and so on. Once a group of heros, who, after buying more than a million credits worth of allience war bonds (You know those are good for 3 credits for every one you spend?) secured their investment by saving hoth from the empire's forces (by saving the shield generator). Needless to say, the empire really didn't like that and cannon went out the window.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: