The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

kill or capture?????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> kill or capture?????
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: kill or capture????? Reply with quote

One of my latest modules being edited, has the pcs going to a planet just after the imperials majorly laid the smackdown on all the rebel cells there (YES they were all taken out).. Now, part of the module is the pcs gathering intell on what the heck happened, then getting out with that info... in the last part of it, the imperials get wise to there still being some rebels to deal with. The editor brought up a good suggestion, in that one of the pcs's could say, make a heroic stand, to give the others the chance to run (and get away), but we are now discussing whether the imperials would opt to capture him, or just off him, like they did with the rest of the rebels on the planet.

What say you all?
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO Imperials never set for stun, unless orders come down from VERY high up that they need them questioned. Bodies are easier to search when their dead. So I would say they off him in the heat of the heroic stand.

Of course, on the other hand, if he makes a really poor attempt to make a heroic stand, and they can easily just knock him out (he forgot to look behind himself or something) i would think they would do that, then torture him for a long peroid of time, or execute him publically infront of the prisoners to show what happens when you try to escape.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the imps have no reason to believe this rebel might carry some vital information, then they would simply blow him to kingdom come at first sight.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is reason to suspect the character holds useful info, the commanding officer may make a stun order. Otherwise, they're dead Razz
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur. If there's no reason to think they have valuable info, they'd be vaped.

However, you might be able to go with the assumption that he'd be captured automatically...depends on the time lapse between the last cell's destruction and the appearance of these new Rebels. If the Imps had finished all the cells some time ago, of course they'd be wanting to know how many people there were, if any other cells existed, and so on. There would be ample reason to have him rendered unconscious and detained for questioning.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
I concur. If there's no reason to think they have valuable info, they'd be vaped.

However, you might be able to go with the assumption that he'd be captured automatically...depends on the time lapse between the last cell's destruction and the appearance of these new Rebels. If the Imps had finished all the cells some time ago, of course they'd be wanting to know how many people there were, if any other cells existed, and so on. There would be ample reason to have him rendered unconscious and detained for questioning.

24-48 hrs since last cell fall, for time frame...
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, they'd probably assume they're just a loose end and blast 'im.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a little more of the 'backstory' for this, to help out..

Rebels see news report of imperials 'parading dead rebel bodies' after smashing largest of the rebel cells on planet X.. Rebel high command gets 'conformation' from a rebel sympathizer on planet X that not only was that cell squashed, but all them were... rebels send pcs to planet to learn what they can...
Cue investigations and role play..
Near the end of module (part 1 of a two parter), the party should now be known to the imperials who put a trio of ISB agents on them to find out what is what...
Then cue 20 stormies from the 501st legion, showing up.. This was put in, more for 'dramatics' to help push the party to make their escape, rather than for a slugfest...

The person editing, suggested/made the comment that, say if one pc decided to make a "last stand" to ensure the rest of the PCS get away.. And this question was the result of that..
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd say it depends on the situation. Is the player willing to sacrifice his character or would he rather not die? Would it hurt the campaign if one of the characters died now? Is ther anyone in the group willing to do it? If I was GMing that session, and nobody really wanted to die but one guy stood up and said "What the hell, I'll take one for the team. Tell my mother I love her." I'd make it a really dramatic fight that ended with a big explosion, and nobody knows for sure if he died or not because there was no corpse afterwords. And, if the PC wanted to accept a valiant death, then so be it. If he's not really ready to die, then I'd make him somehow survive (though with severe injuries, and maybe a few weeks in a coma) and be carried off by some locals who watched him do his thing, and were emotionally moved his sacrifice.

That would open a lot of other story options too... maybe while the PC is in a coma for a while or just recuperating, a new wave of Rebel cells awakens on the planet as word of his valor spreads. The locals feel guilty about allowing the Imps to crush the previous rebels and the whole planet decides to join the rebellion - secretly providing supplies, ships, information, troops, safe houses, ect ect. Maybe even turn it into a permanant PC base... Hmmm the possibilities...

Scott
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Jedi Skyler wrote:

24-48 hrs since last cell fall, for time frame...

Well I disagree about the vaped ideas. Since it is still quite close to the destruction of the local cells, the Imperial commander has an opportunity to capture these new reinforcements (they did come on a ship after all) and lure more rebels into a trap. Then you have a prison/concentration camp adventure and the players will have to get free to warn the Alliance.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xynar wrote:

Well I disagree about the vaped ideas. Since it is still quite close to the destruction of the local cells, the Imperial commander has an opportunity to capture these new reinforcements (they did come on a ship after all) and lure more rebels into a trap. Then you have a prison/concentration camp adventure and the players will have to get free to warn the Alliance.

Actually they are 'inserted' via one of those modified escape (insertion) pods, and paragliders.... This is done to make the imperials think they are NOT off worlders.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Xynar wrote:

Actually they are 'inserted' via one of those modified escape (insertion) pods, and paragliders.... This is done to make the imperials think they are NOT off worlders.

The Imps might then want to capture them to learn where they've been "hiding" as that may mean more of the cell escaped than they thought. Or they may want to capture the one making the heroic last stand, hold them for a while, then just let them go so as to make them look to be colaborating and thus cause problems with the rest of the team.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh, i like that collabaration thing..

As a side note, see my next thread on brainwashing..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: