The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

To live or Die...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> To live or Die... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I must be having a problem with understanding what you are getting at here.... If all the hallways being filled with cement is too extreme, how's about just the ones leading from the center ring to the main chamber/....

Quote:
Yeah, I overlooked the cement's destination last time, although I still kinda think it's even less likely for them to fill the corridors than the central hub. It'd be even more work for them to clear out. Perhaps instead of filling the hallways, you might use a force field generator to surround the central hub area from the outside- even using the other methods (Zero G and lights out, etc.) This would still allow the Imps to use a very deadly trap, but it would also allow them to use the facility afterwards for whatever reason; it could actually be used as an R&D facility, since it will supposedly be already set up for that capacity.

Hmm. Seems you have piequed my interest there... How's about just flooding it with water instead... with force fields at either end, holding the water in. So if they DO get the door from the sanctum opened, they have to get through the forcefield, and then swim from there to the other force field... Now thinking about that, i like it more, as from films, we know lightsabers do not work in water....

Basically what I was getting at was that the Empire itself would see that as putting too much work on themselves later to clean it all out. I like the idea of the force-field contained water; also leaving it just in the inner ring. And if you have the inner chamber fill up with water you eliminate the need for cutting the life support and gravity to the chamber. However, I remember reading somewhere that lightsabers actually do work in water, although they cause a whole lot of bubbling. I'll have to look again at the Golden Sun module to see what it says.

Quote:
A couple of the other modules that had 'force disconnection' AOE in the system, had it that the disconnection was some strange result of the blackholes nearness to a quantum crystal (when a small/young star collapses on itself, as it is not big enough to form it's own black hole... What i was looking at for the disconnecting, was not total force lacking, but maybe a higher diff or better yet, a lowering of the available dice pool of any force users, like to say 1d for each 3d possessed...

Yeah, like the book The Crystal Star. Forgot about that one... but I think rather than causing Luke to not be able to use the Force, it seemed to affect him in other ways- making him a little loopy and more suceptible to suggestion from someone/something else that had some kind of link with the Force. That would provide an interesting situation for your Jedi characters... Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Basically what I was getting at was that the Empire itself would see that as putting too much work on themselves later to clean it all out. I like the idea of the force-field contained water; also leaving it just in the inner ring. And if you have the inner chamber fill up with water you eliminate the need for cutting the life support and gravity to the chamber. However, I remember reading somewhere that lightsabers actually do work in water, although they cause a whole lot of bubbling. I'll have to look again at the Golden Sun module to see what it says.

Ahh. Now i get it...

Quote:
Yeah, like the book The Crystal Star. Forgot about that one... but I think rather than causing Luke to not be able to use the Force, it seemed to affect him in other ways- making him a little loopy and more suceptible to suggestion from someone/something else that had some kind of link with the Force. That would provide an interesting situation for your Jedi characters.

Kind of, but i am more looking for a 'disrution' like effect.. I am not sure whether to make it, increasing the difficulties, or halfing (or more) the available die pool...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could simply increase the difficulty to use the Force... or you could switch it up a little. Kinda like "goofy controls" when playing a skating or snowboarding game (or in a game where you've been stunned, and the control pad's functions are temporarily scrambled, forcing you to use the pad in a way you're not used to in order to simulate the stun). It takes a while to learn the controls; until you do, you end up moving in ways you didn't want to. You might have the Jedi trying to levitate, only to accidently pick someone's blaster right out of the holster and fling it across the room, or some other effect. Perhaps they might be required to spend a full round or two concentrating to focus enough to use the Force. I dunno... just some ideas...

*GM NOTE:* If you choose to do this, and decide on using random die rolls to determine what power is used and the effect, I personally would refrain from giving DSPs during this time. The Jedi's intent is most likely NOT going to be using the dark side or doing something that would lead to it, so I'd take that into account. Besides, it'd be fun enough just watching them try to use the Force.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REsurection.. Got a new situation, from chatting to some MMORPG gamers this afternoon... One was going on about a situation he had where 2 of 5 pcs were at the center of an explosion (incendary bomb)... now he asked them several times prior to this, what each one had (as he was hoping someone had somehting to help mitigate the damage), but AFTER the damage is rolled for, one pipes up about the '18lb of detonite he has in his backpack, and EVEN shows you on his 'carrying into battle' equipment list.

Now since detonite is set off by high levels of heat or electricity, that amt of fire damage would set it off, but even going with ave damage, 18d is still 18d... more than even a wookie on a fp can take.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
REsurection.. Got a new situation, from chatting to some MMORPG gamers this afternoon... One was going on about a situation he had where 2 of 5 pcs were at the center of an explosion (incendary bomb)... now he asked them several times prior to this, what each one had (as he was hoping someone had somehting to help mitigate the damage), but AFTER the damage is rolled for, one pipes up about the '18lb of detonite he has in his backpack, and EVEN shows you on his 'carrying into battle' equipment list.

Now since detonite is set off by high levels of heat or electricity, that amt of fire damage would set it off, but even going with ave damage, 18d is still 18d... more than even a wookie on a fp can take.

So Garhkal you think an incendary bomb will set off detonite. It could, but it is not sure. Explosive always need a detonator to explode. Without it explosive can simply burn, not explode... Of course, initial shock wave from the incendary bomb can be enough to set off the detonite. But as a GM I will definitively play this scene differently : The incendary bomb explodes making several PC to be lightly wounded and to begin to burn due to incendary substences. This substences can't be extinguish. PC have few round to undress all equipment or they will burn too... Finally, PC are alive but starkers. Funny no?

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So Garhkal you think an incendary bomb will set off detonite. It could, but it is not sure

Going out of the rule book
it says only when charged, getting high doses of radiation or large kinetic impacts. The incentary imo would class as the latter 2.

Also detonite tape says that extreme heat sets it off...
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Garhkal, but in an other hand YOU are the GM then you can allow a short time to your PC before detonite burn or explode. If you choose to put your PC team in an impasse the logical continuation is dead.
In other words, what is the purpose of the incendiary bomb in your scenario? End the game or put your PC team in trouble?
If the answer is the second one, when the incendiary bomb explode, all characters in the effect area are throwed to the ground by the explosion blow and their equipment begin to burn... You decide if they have been wounded or not (depending of what they wear). Remember incendiary bombs do few cinetic damage. The main purpose is to glue targets with incendiary substences. The detonite is protected by the backpack and its own packaging, thus it could not explode immediately...
If the answer is the first one, you can imagine 18lbs of detonite have a significant area of effect... Not only one character will be affected... Game over.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: To live or Die... Reply with quote

I know I'm late on this, but I want to play anyway Wink
Read my replies with the understanding that I will allow players to make poor choices... and lose character as a result. I will, however, try and remind them that it IS a poor choice so they can make a new strategy.

garhkal wrote:
First one. Players in game have made their ship fully electrical, opting to remove the hydraulic back up for maneuvering thrusters on their old ship, as it was getting expensive keeping up with the repair cost on it (THEY CHOSE to remove it). Later in game, they decide to fight a quartet of imperial customs frigates modified for ship capture (ions vice turbo lasers). When they notice they are getting system after system shut down from ions, they decide to flee into an asteroid field.... The round before hitting it, the pilot opts NOT TO DOGE a combined pair of shots from all 4 opponent ships, which hits, and fully shuts their ship down (main power was one of the systems affected along with main drive, thrusters and repulsors)..
They wished to get a piloting roll to maneuver out the way of the asteroids. As gm i ruled they could not for..
a) their ship was dead in the water, even the smuggler would know IN CHARACTER there would be no chance to maneuver as nothing had power to it.
b) with them shifting their back up thrusters to electrical, they removed any chance of using the thrusters.......

Quite simply, they're screwed. They made their bed... and now it's there to be laid in.
However, I might give them a chance in one of a couple ways:
.: Let them coast in to the asteroid field... the hull MAY be able to handle it until the systems can come back up. Leave it up to random chance as to whether or not they hit an asteroid... they could go for quite some time before hitting.
Perhaps randomize asteroid sizes (and damage levels), perhaps allowing them to hit mostly smaller ones.

.: It wouldn't be unreasonable that at least one frigate, modified for ship capture would be outfitted with a tractor beam. Out of the pot, into the frying pan, perhaps, but it gives them a chance

Quote:
Next: Party on a ship, 2 crew in the turrets, 1 in engineering, 1 pilot, 1 co-pilot. The last guy, mans the nav comp/sensor station. They are in hot pursuit of a fleeing pirate ship who has taken a informant prisoner. The player on the nav/comp says he is programming the sensors to link to the nav comp, so when they detect the enemies ship going into hyperspace, it will start to project a course. Then he emphatically states, the moment the Nav comp bleeps, indicating it has a course, he will pull the lever. I asked him 4 times to make exactly sure he was doing that, WITHOUT ANY CHECKS on the course. Dude spends a FP, and rolls his 6d (3d normally) in Astrogation, getting all 1's. What would you say happens.

Granted that there isn't a complication following that 1 on the wild die, this one's fairly simple, though there are options:
.: Hyperdrive doesn't engage; insufficient route data
.: Hyperdrive engages, and:
--- The course is completely wrong, it takes them somewhere else... and slowly too.
--- The course is right, travel time takes much longer than expected; pirates have long since left the desination
--- Course plots to somewhere unknown, and slowly.

Of course, if there was a complication on the wild die, all kinds of mishap fun could e had.

In any case, they're losing the pirates... hardcore.

Quote:
Next: 1 Jedi gets caught in the blast of a gloop grenade. His friend tries to run by, so he does not get shot, screws up and falls hands first into the gloop. Jedi caught, says he will move his hand to his lightsaber and activate it so he can cut himself out. I explain he is stuck, like a web spell in AD&D, and so cannot reach the saber. He says to sith with it, activates TK to turn it on.. For note it is in a under armpit hidden sling/pouch pointed UP!!!
The other guy, spends a FP to double his strength from 2d+2 to 5d+1 (rounding from 4d+4), and gets all 1's on his attempt to break free form the glue...........

Reiterate the fact that igniting the saber is freakin stupid... if he persists; there goes an arm and, probably, consciousness.
The other guy, spends a FP... he's trying with everything he possibly has... it's still not enough.
Both are stuck and at the mercy of their captors. Captors can be merciful from time to time.

Quote:
Next: Ship is in hyperspace when the pc's realize the circuitry to disable the Hyperdrive (and therefore bring the ship out of hyperspace) is busted. So one kicks on his lightsaber and hacks at the Hyperdrive... What happens????

He'll probably get hit with some sort of fluid or gas that was going through the system, or moving parts will come loose and hit him. Either way, he's going to get hurt.
Ignoring the possibility of the backup kicking in...
Can't come out of hyperspace without the motivator... so, they'll either become ghosts of the hyperlanes, or one or more of them will be smart and try to jury rig something together to repair the drive. this is a real good Role Play opportunity.

Quote:
Next: Players are chasing, say a bounty hunter, who has captured one of their members. They get into space, and are slowly catching up. He then goes into an asteroid field. A little later, the players are within shooting distance, but are not hitting, so he decides to head towards one of the larger asteroids to try to get them off his tail.
AT this time, the players ship is 4 rounds away from the asteroid, and they are going flat out (so is the bounty hunter). Their first 2 rounds worth of piloting rolls are less than the target number, but not by much (say 3-4 each time), while the third roll is a complete BOMB OUT (eg all 1's on the dice).

The rounds below target number result in a slowed pursuit... the Bounty hunter is getting further away. The third roll... they lose control and continue straight ahead at full speed.
They better hope like hell they can pull an emergency manoeuver in that last round; a 90 degree or better.
If the fourth round is too poor to avoid the asteroid outright, but isn't TOO bad, you could have them shield bounce (assuming shields are raised) off the surface of the asteroid, causing some damage and sending them out of control for a round or two (perhaps a -2D to maneuverability until they recover).
The bounty hunter is definitely going to give them the slip.

Quote:
Next: Players are all in a freighter/luxury yacht. Fighting against some baddies in fighters, when 3 hits later (same round) they SHOULD BE destroyed by the rolls of the die. No one is anywhere near the escape pods, and there is only 1 anyway (4 person). There are 7 in total in the ship. How would you allow some to survive.

With one round before the ship disintegrates... I hope they're wearing a vacuum suit.
Without die roll fudging, they're simply screwed. There's no way any of them can get to an escape pod and launch it in 5 seconds if they're no where near it. They might reach the pod, but I doubt they'd get the door open, get in, close and launch in time.

Quote:
Next. The Zurrog, capture the party, and challenge them to fight (these are a race of warriors, who value honor, commitment, skill etc). When they capture the party, they issue challenges to them (or wait for the party to issue a challenge). Part of their ‘challenge’ is they accept any challenge, that shows (to them), the skill/honor /endurance/smarts etc of a true warrior. Whether combat or otherwise…
Now if it does get to combat, they match action for action, FP/CP for FP/CP. He who makes the challenge (if combat) picks the victory conditions, whom is challenged picks the weapons or lack there of.
Now Someone in the party says they wait to be challenged, and gets one issued to the death. 3-4 rounds of combat later, they are lying at that Zurrog’s feet, incap… Other than having him break from his word, how can that pc NOT get killed?
On a linked note, lets say, 3 of the party issue (or were issued) ‘to the death’ challenges. All loose. 2 others issue their challenges and also loose. They have only 1 person left, but need 2 wins to ‘win’. Other than just giving it to them, how can they avoid their fate (and NO IT IS NOT all of them die!)

This is a tough one. One way may be, due to the speed of the fight (15-20 sec) One of the other Zurrogs stops the vctor from killing them, as they were simply too weak to be a worthy challenge and suggests that they be left to live with the shame of such immediate defeat. Perhaps they may opt to mark them in some way such that an Zurrog seeing them will know their shame and treat them accordingly?

I really don't know.

Quote:
And lastly. The party infiltrate an Imperial outpost. In it, are around 200+ troops. If the party get in, but are discovered, it takes a few rounds (I think I put it at 2 rounds for the alert to be fully sounded, and 5 for the base to be fully mobilized against them). The base commander is under orders to take no prisoners.
Say the party STAY, even against those odds. Without having the commander (or his underlings) disobey orders, how can they survive?????

Being outside, they ha better make good use of the terrain. Hide, Sneak...

You could also use the terrain to help them. Perhaps there are some underground caverns or something? If there is a battle, perhaps the ground around them, or where they run, weakens and collapses, dropping them into the caverns to possibly escape.

Otherwise, yeah, fish in a barrel Razz
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalanks Balas wrote:

In other words, what is the purpose of the incendiary bomb in your scenario? End the game or put your PC team in trouble?

I am not sure what the other gm's purpose of the IG was... though it might have been to teach them a lesson to not carry so much explosives...

Quote:
If the answer is the first one, you can imagine 18lbs of detonite have a significant area of effect... Not only one character will be affected... Game over.

Yes i can, and the closest i have personally come to it, was when someone with a quartet of tds, got fragged by one... almost wiped the rest of the party out though due to spacing, 2 did survive (incap)..

Quote:
Read my replies with the understanding that I will allow players to make poor choices... and lose character as a result. I will, however, try and remind them that it IS a poor choice so they can make a new strategy.

Ahh, a man after my heart. I am the same way, where i will teach them and help them, but i won't save them from their own failings..

Quote:
Both are stuck and at the mercy of their captors. Captors can be merciful from time to time.

The 'captors' in this one were reg planetary security busting up a bar brawl, where both those above characters were primary instigators.... they spent 6 mo in prison iirc.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:

The 'captors' in this one were reg planetary security busting up a bar brawl, where both those above characters were primary instigators.... they spent 6 mo in prison iirc.

Sounds appropriate Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: