The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ship Sensor Upgrades
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Ship Sensor Upgrades Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Ship Sensor Upgrades Reply with quote

Im curious, where i would find the rules that state how one can upgrade sensors. (i have found a few sensor related things like jammers, and optical recorders...) For example, i want to increase the area of the focus from 1 to 2, or i want to increase the focus from 3D to 4D and so on.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Liam (Gunman) Kissane
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have certainly not gone through every book I have, but as far as I have been able to find, there are no official rules for upgrading sensors. Sad

The closest I have been able to find is on pg 41 of GG6 Tramp Freighters, but it refers only to replacements, and gives no stats. Rolling Eyes

As a GM I would use the rules for weapons modification on pg 37.

If you don't have GG6, pm me. Smile
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same situation as Liam and would use the same suggestion. However, I don't think those rules adaquately address sensor range issues... perhaps for range (as opposed to sensor power) you could use a similar mechanic to the one presented for increasing ship Space move.
CmdrDarmic
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always used the rules for increasing range for weapons, as listed on page 62 of the R&E Rules, but if that is not satisfactory, you could try the rules for increasing vehicle move on page 59. The latter gives a larger increase to the lower range bands, but less increase overall.

As always, it is whatever works best for you.

--CmdrDarmic
krysallokard
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a website with the ship construction rules published in a D20 source book converted into d6. I found it very useful and ended up downloading the entire page. I've been using them to determine ship costs and everything.

It had a point based ship construction system but the sensors systems had various costs for increasing range and power. I suppose this would work for your needs.

Alas, the site no longer exists or has been abandoned. I can go through my stuff and post it possibly if I get a chance.

Would this help?
krysallokard
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I just checked the rules I had from my previous posts and each level of range costs 40 credits, so a range of 40 units in say, Scan, would cost 1600 credits. I suppose the same could be used to upgrade. adding ten units of range costs 400 credits, etc.

Power costs 125 credits per pip, so increasing power in one area, like Focus, by +1D (3 pips) would cost 375 credits.

The only thing I didn't like about this system was that the really big capital ships sensor packages were especially cheap compared to the cost of the ship itself. Even really powerful sensors system were rarely more then 15-20 thousand credits.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, "Only" 15-20K. Razz

Don't forget that Capital Ship Sensors have to do much more than a Fighter or Freighters Sensors. They have to be able to track more items, have greater sensativity (Because they have the space and mass in Capital Ships that are lacking in other vessels), and, most importantly, allow for point defence against incoming missiles and fighters.

If you skimp on those, then you suffer from "Trench Run Syndrome", and a repeat of what happened with the SSD Executor in Return of the Jedi. Twisted Evil
krysallokard
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, now that I think about, various points in those rules mention a cost multiplier for larger ships. So perhaps this could be applied to sensors as well and allow the above mentioned point defense and such. I think smaller capital ships had a x3 and larger ones had a x5 multiplier. Seems reasonable.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. these are some awesome ideas Very Happy

what would be the most powerful sensors be (15-20k worth Wink) out of curiosity Razz

I have tried a different style of gaming, not upgrading the weps as much, but going for sensors to try to find weak spots and such. or never having to get into combat in the first place Very Happy

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually to me, the most powerful sensors, would be in the 400-600k region, not 20k region..

And i would give that a value of
Passive - 120/1d
Scan - 240/2d
Search - 360/3d+1
Focus - 15/4d+1
krysallokard
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned before that a powerful sensor array was 15-20k but after reviewing the rule I further that was not entirely correct. 15-20k is a reasonably powerful array, but by no means very powerful.

After looking at the various max ranges an powers one could easily build a sensor array in the 50-60k range. Tack on a multiplier (up to x5) for a large ship and it seems a but more reasonable.

I'll try to post the rules I have but there are lots of charts and such and I'm not sure how well I can get them to post.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have access to the charts mentioned in this thread? If so, could you post them?
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Krapou's table from his Starship Pricing System, available here. Unlike most systems the sensors don't have a construction point cost, just a ready-made credit cost, so it adapts nicely to modifications. Just calculate the value of the differences.

Complete Starship Construction System
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liam (Gunman) Kissane wrote:
I have certainly not gone through every book I have, but as far as I have been able to find, there are no official rules for upgrading sensors. Sad

The closest I have been able to find is on pg 41 of GG6 Tramp Freighters, but it refers only to replacements, and gives no stats. Rolling Eyes

As a GM I would use the rules for weapons modification on pg 37.

If you don't have GG6, pm me. Smile

Also, as the sensors have no weight and are dirt cheap, theres really no reason why you shouldnt always get them all... (except for the gravfield trap which was a bit expensive iirc).
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me about 6hrs mate and I'll upload something rather special for you.
I'll edit this post and link it then.

okay here you go, try this system:

http://www.mediafire.com/?nhuu3civ117ld6a
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: