The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hireing NPC's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Hireing NPC's
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Hireing NPC's Reply with quote

I was curious, because i was thinking of letting my players start an organization. I was curious how, for example: Karrade's organization, is set up. does he pay his members, or how does that work.

obviously it would be a gradual get a few more people, then some more and such, but i was still curious how one would set that all up?

any suggestions would be nice Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, Karrde does indeed have a payroll. In fact, his is one of the most well-organized groups out there. Plus, he goes all-out to make sure his people are treated with respect and well-equipped.

You put someone like that in charge of the organization, it's gonna flourish.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you know what their salary would be?

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're going to start an organization, they better be ready to pay each and every member... which, without a really good plan, is going to fail miserably.

No one's going to work for free, and chances are they're going to want a fair number of creds.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
do you know what their salary would be?

Think of how much your characters would want if they were to take a job. Then take into account equipment and the rest of it.
5000 cred/mo wouldn't be unreasonable, but it depends on the availability of gear, living costs, port costs etc in your campaign.

Basically they'd want a little more than the minimum required to stay out of debt without taking into account criminal debts and the like. If the work is dangerous or requires expertise, they'd probably want somewhat more.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also going to be tempered by how much the organization provides them: room and board, gear, transportation, etc.

If the organization provides weaponry, armor, and other technical goodies for its members to use (and I would say here that, at least to start, very basic, standard equipment is more than fair) then they don't have to spend their hard-earned credits buying such things, so they can perhaps save some up to buy stuff like that shoulder-mounted ion cannon they've always dreamed of. In that case you'd be justified paying them less. Plus, if you offer a bonus of a share of spoils from their exploits, you sweeten the pot. In that case, though, you ought to have some balancing in place... such as if you have five people on a team that just recovered 4 decent weapons, you sell the weapons and split the profit five ways (unless one of the team members is willing to forego one this time with the promise of a double-share on the next mission, then it's all good.) There are a lot of different ways you could take this if you think it out. The characters can be connected to the group because the NPC leader approached each and every one of them personally to recruit them to his new organization, started because of <insert reason here>. He'll lay out the ground rules IN ADVANCE, so there's no squabbling about who does or gets what later on, and that way the characters (and players) know up front what kind of loot they're gonna be able to score.

This has the potential to be a really fun campaign. Good luck with it, and let us know how it goes!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also going to be tempered by how much the organization provides them: room and board, gear, transportation, etc.

If the organization provides weaponry, armor, and other technical goodies for its members to use (and I would say here that, at least to start, very basic, standard equipment is more than fair) then they don't have to spend their hard-earned credits buying such things, so they can perhaps save some up to buy stuff like that shoulder-mounted ion cannon they've always dreamed of. In that case you'd be justified paying them less. Plus, if you offer a bonus of a share of spoils from their exploits, you sweeten the pot. In that case, though, you ought to have some balancing in place... such as if you have five people on a team that just recovered 4 decent weapons, you sell the weapons and split the profit five ways (unless one of the team members is willing to forego one this time with the promise of a double-share on the next mission, then it's all good.) There are a lot of different ways you could take this if you think it out. The characters can be connected to the group because the NPC leader approached each and every one of them personally to recruit them to his new organization, started because of <insert reason here>. He'll lay out the ground rules IN ADVANCE, so there's no squabbling about who does or gets what later on, and that way the characters (and players) know up front what kind of loot they're gonna be able to score.

This has the potential to be a really fun campaign. Good luck with it, and let us know how it goes!
Krayt
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PCs have commonly hired NPCs to do various jobs (Heck, they even set up a successful bakery once that still turns in creds). Normally, it's a by the hour payment for non-combat jobs (like office work, accounting, etc.), sometimes it's a percentage of what they bring in for the boss (5% isn't unreasonable, but something like 15-20% is what I'd pick),or maybe it's a by the job deal (50000 creds for a high-risk mercenary operation that lasta about three days would be about right, maybe a bit more). I actually run a buisness, and I pay my employees like this: Its a by-the-hour payment, with a percentage of what they sell (5%, actually), plus bonuses around holidays and such (NEVER forget the ocasional bonus).

Now, if it's a combat job they want filled specifically, just look at most modern armies. The US military pays you by the year, plus bonuses, plus combat pay (which is a considerable boost). And tack on any gear they have to buy (like weapons from a black-market on a high-security planet), plus fuel for ships, blaster packs (i'd give 'em a pack of ammo free of charge), and maybe even a special gun or ship.

Also, if they are going to be permanent employees working out of some facility, I'd certainly offer up a bed and 3 squares a day. Now, factoring al that together, a combat trooper may cost you up to a million creds a year (But probably around 750000), and a non-combat character would be around 500000 a year.

Hope this helps Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot to add in free medical and dental...
Krayt
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! I knew I left something out. If you want happy employees, give 'em free visits to the Sergeon Droid (and his one-cure-for-all hack saw)! Very Happy
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the organization and requirements of the job.

Payroll is one of the most complicated parts of a business, and putting it into RPG terms is the job of an accountant.

Which was a royal pain when we were playing the Far Orbit Campaign and had crews for a couple of Capital Ships going, as well as PCs that needed to be paid. (SpecOps Privateers don't work for free!).

Luckily, we ended up liberating a planet for a (VERY) small percentage of it's Gross Planetary Product, which the planet, in turn, denied in taxes to the New Republic.

That alone made up for the maintence and payrolls for the most part. And some extra lum money to boot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: