The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Creating a Force User
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Creating a Force User
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Creating a Force User Reply with quote

This is a question about the official rules of how to create a force user without using one of the pre-made templates.

I seem to remember in the 2nd Ed. that if you created a force user each force skill you took (Sense, Control, and Alter) would cost you an Attribute dice. So a human Jedi could only have 15d for Attributes (Dex, Kno, Mech, Per, Str, Tech) because the other 3d were in his force skills (Sense Control and Alter). Then you could raise your skills under your attributes or you Sense Control and Alter with you basic 7d for skills.

I remember arguign with my GM at the time that this made Jedi whimpy (having few attribute dice) but he said that it was in the name of game balance.

Anyway, in reading through the R&E Ed. I did not see the instructions on how one is supposed to use attribute dice for acquiring the Force Skills BUT the templates in the back still demonstrate this rule is in effect (the force users with Force Skills lack attriubte dice) - so what do you all make of this. Is that rule still in place (I may have just missed it) or what?

Whether or not it is a good rule is another story...
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I remember, under 2nd ed R&E rules, you have to use your Attribute Dice to buy Force Skills. You could have 17D for Attributes and 1D in Sense, or 15D for Attributes and 1D in each Force Skill, for example. I don't remember you being allowed to use your 7D skill dice to raise Force Skills, though.
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that is how I remember it. But since our GM let us raise our force skills with the begining dice - to show expereice just like any other skill advancement - I guess I just assumed you could...

So it is in the R&E ed. too, thanks
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not oblige to put a attibute die in all force attribute. A force sensitive character can for exemple have only Control and/or sense Force capability.
Anyway, the first die spend to "buy" a force capability (control, sense or alteration) come from your 18D pool of attribute dice. It may be possible to raise your Force skill by spending dice from 7D skill pool or from your 18D attribute pool (at your GM discretion). Maximum value generaly allowed (with a strong background) is 3D per Force skill.

Remember the more your Force skill is high the more the Empereur will be interested by you. It is wise to have other skills to be able to escape from possible chases from New Order members.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Each die of force skill starting out your template with, costs an attribute die...
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never liked that rule.

Ok, that's my snippiness for today- now I can be nice for the rest of the day!
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never liked that rule either, especially since no NPC follows it.
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way around the rule we sometimes used was to make a character that was just force sensitive and then have them learn the Force Skills post character creation - in game - so you already had your full attribute dice locked into your attributes. We didn't like the rule either but I still think it is a pretty good attempt at game balance.
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camero, that's my way around it as well. It just really bugs that you're supposed to sacrifice entire attribute dice, which are incredibly expensive to buy back with character points, for Force Skill dice, which advance as normal skills.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayle Skolaris wrote:
Camero, that's my way around it as well. It just really bugs that you're supposed to sacrifice entire attribute dice, which are incredibly expensive to buy back with character points, for Force Skill dice, which advance as normal skills.

That depends if you have a trainer or not. If you don't it iirc costs double cp and time to learn them...
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is still a hell of a lot less than the times ten multiplier for improving Attributes.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We play in the Old Republic a lot, and since the rules were made for the original trilogy, I think it was made to balance the Jedi in that time frame. But since the Jedi Order is a training machine in the Republic, I don't think Jedi in this time period need to spend attribute dice for force skills- IMHO.

I, however, do not offer a money-back guarantee on this, either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: