The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

PC deaths
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> PC deaths Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ol' Paranoia... half the time I played that, we never even made it out of the briefing room.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
It's been a while since a PC died in one of our games. I never kill them off for poor rolling; it's more fun to make up a plausible situation in which their roll doesn't kill them, but leads to a severe complication (e.g. hyperdrive malfunction, loss of limb, mission fails, NPC contact killed, etc.).

While i can see the 'plausability', a lot of times i have had pcs die, even looking at it, there was little plausability to save them. Look at the many thrreads abut 'should they live' to see what i am on about..

Quote:
On the other hand, I had no problem whatsoever maiming them for stupidity.

I only have the npcs go with the maiming option if
A) it makes sense for them to USE IT... eg if the npc is after them for a kill contract, why would he not just kill them.
B) if it makes sense from the combat situation.. eg if a TD just went off under the pc, no way it is a maim... compared to the DJ slicing in with his LS...
beaumont sebos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darthomer09 wrote:
Now I feel bad... I've been our groups most often GM for about 3 years and i must have killed off about... 15 or 20... Embarassed Mostly cause me and my group was in experimental phases and we liked to create about 5 and 6 characters at a time (most were NPCs till one PC died)

Don't feel bad. Your campaign called for some deaths, what with experimenting and all. The players in my game invest heavily in their characters, so I am loathe to kill them off, especially for a bad die roll.

"Saving the multiverse, one Gamorrean Ale at a time."
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaumont sebos wrote:
darthomer09 wrote:
Now I feel bad... I've been our groups most often GM for about 3 years and i must have killed off about... 15 or 20... Embarassed Mostly cause me and my group was in experimental phases and we liked to create about 5 and 6 characters at a time (most were NPCs till one PC died)

Don't feel bad. Your campaign called for some deaths, what with experimenting and all. The players in my game invest heavily in their characters, so I am loathe to kill them off, especially for a bad die roll.

Just cause someone has invested in their character, does not mean they should be imune to death (or other punishments)... which i have seen many a gm do (and which i consider bad gming)...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: