The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

frequency
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> frequency
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalibarr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: frequency Reply with quote

Hi folks

I was just wondering on average how much you play this game? Do you play weekly/monthly/something else? Also, do you rotate which "game" you are playing - i.e. this guy GM's this week, then we play another game with a different GM the next week, etc., or do you stick to one GM telling one story/game for a long period of time before you switch it up? I realize different stokes for different folks and you could do anything you want, but as a new player just curious as to what you have found to be most rewarding and why...
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, through my 10 years of gaming, I want through all the arrangements you mentioned. Playing two days in a row weekly, playing weekly, playing every other week, monthly, or once in a blue moon. I've also focused on a single campaign continuously, or two campaigns in the same universe, or several campaign in different universes.

I find that the most rewarding thing would be to play weekly, or at least every other week, mostly alternating between 2-3 different campaigns. Bob GMs his Rebellion-Era Star Wars campaign this week, next week John GMs his D&D campaign, the following two weeks Ted does a stretch of his Prequel-Era Star Wars campaign, and so on. This way everybody gets to GM and Play, you can play the game that either everybody feels more eager to play or that the GM is more ready to narrate.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, if you're playing actual tabletop, you don't want to play too often with the same GM, or you'll burn them out, in which case EVERYONE suffers.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this way you get to play every week, but each GM has a few weeks to prepare his next session.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly... you get to have frequency AND variety!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when you get to a crucial point of a campaign, or maybe it's culmination, you might want to play it for many weeks consecutively (if the GM is ready for that), so that you keep the flow, involvement and build-up to the grand finale.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, that. Plus, when you're leapfrogging like that, you have more time to work on your own campaign when you're not concentrating on RUNNING your own campaign.

Makes for a nice rotation.
Kalibarr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense to me! Thanks for the good advice.
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh reminds me of the good ol days of highschool.

we'd get started on fri night and the next thing we new we were late for school on monday 8)
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Well, through my 10 years of gaming, I want through all the arrangements you mentioned. Playing two days in a row weekly, playing weekly, playing every other week, monthly, or once in a blue moon. I've also focused on a single campaign continuously, or two campaigns in the same universe, or several campaign in different universes.

I find that the most rewarding thing would be to play weekly, or at least every other week, mostly alternating between 2-3 different campaigns. Bob GMs his Rebellion-Era Star Wars campaign this week, next week John GMs his D&D campaign, the following two weeks Ted does a stretch of his Prequel-Era Star Wars campaign, and so on. This way everybody gets to GM and Play, you can play the game that either everybody feels more eager to play or that the GM is more ready to narrate.

Me and my old group (they're all gone to the military now so all i have is all of you here in the pit now) did something similar-esque to that although not much. We would set up huge campaigns and split them up into adventures. Each player would get the chance to GM a different adventure. You can only imagine the insanity that occured in a lot of these.

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play when i can get a greoup.

When i have none to game with, i go to origins and gencon...
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had at least one game running for more than 5 years now. Before that it was hit or miss when our group could all gather. Since we all adopted email and recently PbP, we pretty much play daily. Pretty slow going, but it's steady. Nice since we can all proceed at our own pace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: