The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Suggestions for a NOOB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Suggestions for a NOOB Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would take a pretty high Con roll...

Those Jedi Mind Tricks don't work on him... Rolling Eyes

Razz
Cool McCool
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
n your "non-linear" adventure all these events still take place in their linear fashion, even more linear, since these events are not roleplayed.

You're right. Those events are totally linear! I wouldn't do it that way normally, I was just trying to stick to the Hoth thing, because it's cool.

Here's the difference, as I see it: if you are going to get the PCs to Hoth, no matter what (ie. linear adventure), don't lie to your friends and give them the illusion of free will. Tell 'em straight up: "I've planned this cool adventure that takes place on Hoth, in a frozen city. I want you guys to get there, so stay on-board with me, okay? I have nothing prepared if you don't, and I don't know what I'll do if we don't go to Hoth."

It's like buying a module and asking your players if they want to play that. "Let's play Tatooine Manhunt," you say. "It's on Tatooine, and there's a rebel operative that all these different people want to grab - and if you don't get him, the information that he has will cause all sorts of problems for the rebellion. Do you want to go with that?"

You could role-play meeting with Jabba and the whole thing, but letting it be known that you are going to go to Hoth. What you're doing with Jabba is just setting up your reward and getting support from him.

If you are ready to roll with the PC's actions, that they might not go to Hoth, then preparing a linear adventure is a waste of time. Just come up with some NPCs and situations that are ready to explode - because the NPCs are all in conflict with each other and the PC's, and nobody can get what they want without butting heads. Whatever the players do then, you'll be ready for it.

The trick is to know what the players want to do, and making NPCs that conflict with their goals.

Kalibarr, if you post the PCs, and tell us what the players want to do with them, then I could write up a non-linear adventure for them. Just a few simple lines: "Jeff's playing a bounty hunter who wants to become the best bounty hunter in the galaxy, so rich and famous he has his armoured face on the Space Wheaties box!" And skills that they raised with thier 7D, so that you know what kind of encounters to run. (Lots of blaster & dodge - lots of firefights. Lots of Con - social encounters. Lots of Gamble - gambling ones. etc.)
Kalibarr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!

Liked some of the story high points to "hit". I do not know what the PC's will be yet tho, so no help there. But I think I have enough now to go through a pretty linear game - which I think is how I should start - small and fairly controlled. Maybe next time around we will get more open/non-linear! Thanks again everyone for your comments/suggestions!
Cool McCool
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, man. The main thing is to play! Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: