The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Attack rolls
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Attack rolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Attack rolls Reply with quote

I am wondering..... when a player declares an attack (say a blaster attack), is it one pull of the trigger, or one attack?

In the past I said one pull of the trigger, but now I am thinking one attack. I was watching "shootout" or something on the history channel- seems like if someone fires 3-5 shots they are more likely to hit their target, but if a player declares 3-5 shots his ability goes way down. So I'm thinking that a character with fairly high blaster (say 7d) can pull off a few shots at no penalty while the character with a lower blaster skill (say 4d) has to take aim and maybe fire one shot.

This logic seems to fit more with the rules, especially adding damage dice for accuracy (the higher the skill roll, the more times the character fired).

What do y'all think? One shot, or one attack?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the rules as they are. One attack equals one shot (unless you're using some auto-fire/repeating blaster mode).

Consider this: Is it more likely that a person will score a hit with a single 7D roll, or with two 6D rolls? Statistically speaking, your chances are much higher with two weaker rolls, so the logic you're speaking of is still there.
jmanski

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what your saying. I guess I am thinking more along the lines of special forces- either a double-tap to the head or 2 to the heart and one to the head.... why would people train or use tactics that would lower their odds of hitting?

Depends on how you picture the combat. I guess the only real difference in our opinion is the amount of ammo used..... Very Happy
Mythologian
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on the situation. High-accuracy marksmen generally only fire one shot. Snipers and biathletes are examples of this. The emphasis is on accuracy and closely grouping shots if multiple shots are necessary. I'm a hunter and this is the type of shooting I do.

In a close-quarters situation things tend to be involved in a lot more motion. In the case of moving, and especially rapidly moving, targets you need to be much more reaction based. Putting more lead in the air in this situation is a very effective tactic. You can adjust your aim after the first shot. This is evident to anyone who has been rabbit hunting and missed a snowshoe with the first shot.
jmanski

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is my only real gripe about the d6 rules- shoot more than once and you are penalized.
Mythologian
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still fits. If you are rushed accuracy is going to suffer. The difference is the skill level of the shooter. Special Forces operatives practice daily with their weapons. They know how to group shots. Are they going to put two bullets through the same hole? No, but they know how to control the weapon so the shots go in the same general direction. Putting more than one shot in the air is a good tactic for them because it increases the chances of a hit and, more importantly, a lethal hit. In game terms, these guys would have 8D or 9D in firearms. Taking two shots at a -1D penalty isn't going to affect success chances dramatically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: